RANDOM - legal/tickets

Options
2»

Replies

• xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Alright - TALK ABOUT A STRESSFUL DAY. so I didn't ever make it to the police deparment... I got ahold of the lady at the villiage who I was supposed to speak to.

Not only are there these outstanding tickets... my sister also failed to mention the villiage put a towing sticker on it and the villiage would be towing it MONDAY. Last week 4 more tickets were issued (expired plates and car abandonement - the car has a broken window and FOUR flat tires). Think about the stress I would have had then with them trying to hit me up for towing fees and daily charges for being impounded!!! But I'll get to that in a minute.

The lady at the villiage told me I recieved these letters because they were told the car was put into my name after my dad's passing. False. She then told me what I need to do is write a letter explaining my situation and provide any proof that goes along with it (ie; death certificate) and mail it to her. She then would take that to a hearing and present it to a judge where it will **hopefully** be voided.

I called my sister asking this whole towing stickers & what not. I THEN find out the damn car isn't even in HER parking lot when she sees it daily. THEY FRICKIN MOVED IT TO THE ASSOCIATION'S CLUBHOUSE. NO WONDER theres so many damn tickets. Is this a joke?!! She claims she has no idea how long the towing stickers have been on it because she hasn't seen the car in months. Oh, well thanks.

Luckily, I work at a car dealer and they called in a favor at a junkyard they deal with. Got it picked up today (also got $300 for it!!! at least thats a positive in my situation. My sister *****ED ME OUT about "selling the car to profit from it". WTF, REALLY?). While waiting for the tow truck to arrive, I found tickets just sitting in the back of the car. AGAIN, IS THIS A JOKE??? I happened to see my sister's boyfriend walking by and he told me they've been receiving notices for MONTHS at their house in MY name. Really? Thanks for letting me know NOW.

Anyway, got the car towed and taken care of so no more tickets will be given. I am in the process of writing letters and sending it through certified mail. The hearing is Monday so I won't know much until I receive the letter on details of it.

I'm also pretty sure it's ilegal for the collection agency that sent me the letter to threaten to suspend my license and report it to the crediting agencies when it isn't my debt. Looking into how to go about reporting the agency.

Life is grand, isn't it?

Will update after the hearing :)
  • helenecg
    helenecg Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am writing from Canada, so the laws are likely different, however, collection agencies are notorious for digging and advising anyone related to a debt (even if they are not liable) that they will take legal action. They then provide this information to their client, in this case the village, who gives them 3rd party permission to take legal action. A judge will normally throw the case out, but most people will pay it or settle for a lesser amount, because they are worried about their credit, additional fines or going to court. Your state may have laws about what collection agencies can and cannot do. I would also call your representative (councillor or senator) and ask for assistance in this matter.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,926 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It sounds like you're finally putting things into order!!

If you haven't already, record the VIN of the vehicle so if you need to get proof from the state that the vehicle is still registered in your dad's name (not yours), you will need the VIN to do so. If you don't know where to find the VIN, the tow company or the junk yard can help as they will need it in order to report the vehicle as being scrap.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Holy shat balls lady! You've been given a ton to deal with. my condolences on the loss of your parents. also send my condolences for having to deal with two siblings who seem to not give a crap about how their actions or lack there of have flucked you over.

(hugs) to you and I hope it all turns out in your favor!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    bumping because I'm curious to hear the resolution!
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options
    I am writing from Canada, so the laws are likely different, however, collection agencies are notorious for digging and advising anyone related to a debt (even if they are not liable) that they will take legal action. They then provide this information to their client, in this case the village, who gives them 3rd party permission to take legal action. A judge will normally throw the case out, but most people will pay it or settle for a lesser amount, because they are worried about their credit, additional fines or going to court. Your state may have laws about what collection agencies can and cannot do. I would also call your representative (councillor or senator) and ask for assistance in this matter.

I am trying to look into the laws. I had asked a question on a free law guru site about this and someone mentioned it may actually violate some debt privacy act or something - so I am in the process of looking into this. If the court does throw it out, I still have to watch to make sure this doesn't end up on my credit. No one is getting a dime out me!! Daddy raised a strong girl, I won't back down :)
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Wow ... somehow it's your audacity to get $300 for the car? Your sister is awfully terrible, it seems.

I can't believe they wouldn't have let you know that they were getting notices ... did they somehow get the car put in your name? Because it sounds like they're trying to screw you over for some reason (possibly because they're awful).

I don't see how it could possibly be found that you're liable for this. Best wishes in getting a judge with a brain. (Ack, I'll cross my fingers and toes for you.)
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options
    Wow ... somehow it's your audacity to get $300 for the car? Your sister is awfully terrible, it seems.

I can't believe they wouldn't have let you know that they were getting notices ... did they somehow get the car put in your name? Because it sounds like they're trying to screw you over for some reason (possibly because they're awful).

I don't see how it could possibly be found that you're liable for this. Best wishes in getting a judge with a brain. (Ack, I'll cross my fingers and toes for you.)

For a while, I was wondering if they messed with the title. I texted my sister saying "no one had signed my dad's title over to anyone, right?" and she said "no, it's still in his name" and I locked the texts so they can't be deleted in case something comes up and they try to screw me over for "selling" the car.
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options
    This waiting game is awful. The hearing was last night and now I'm waiting on a letter to know if I'm "guilty" or "not-guilty". Hoping it comes before the weekend!
  • halobender
    Options
    Ugh! Seriously ... they didn't make a decision at that time which you could simply check into?

Let us know! I hope it comes through before the weekend ...
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options
    Got my letter today...

NOT guilty! DAMN RIGHT I'm not guilty.

BY THE WAY Yesterday ! I did some research just in case I was found guilty, and found my SISTER was/is responsible due to her association's by laws! "Each owner shall be liable for the expenses of any maintenance, repair or replacement rendered necessary by his negligence or by that of his guests, employees, agents or lessees. An owner shall pay the amount occasioned by his misuse or occupancy or abandonment or its appurtenances or of the common areas or limited areas." I was ready to fight it if I had to!

Thanks for sticking with me through all this!!
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that you were found not guilty. Check with your state's Attorney General on how to go after the debt collection agency. I have found that most AG's office love to go after those folks as tons of those compaies violate existing debt collection laws constantly.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,926 Member
    Options
    Awesome news!! And they notified you before the weekend!!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Glad you got the good news before the weekend!
  • katetaylor999
    katetaylor999 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congratulations...bet that's a HUGE relief :drinker:
  • halobender
    Options
    I just got back the other day from vacay and haven't checked here again until today but I wanted to say congrats on the verdict.

It was, of course, an absurd situation, but I've seen so many times where these things screw with people until they just give up ... Anyway, glad it worked out for you as it should have! Best wishes dealing with your family in the future.