Frustrated

Options
I've posted this topic before, but here I go again. I'm 37 years old, I'm just under 6' and I currently weigh 159. I began my journey to get fit about 2.5 years ago. My personal life went to hell I started exercising for something to channel my negative energy into. At the time I weighed about 185 lbs. I have a nordic track (skiing machine) in the my living room, add push-ups, crunches and dips that's pretty much my work out. With exercise and not eating due to lack of appetite I lost 30 lbs. Eventually I started eating again, and eating breakfast which repaired my metabolism. I hovered around 150lbs for next year. I changed jobs into a very labour intensive job where I was lifting stuff all day. I started to put on more muscle mass. Then I started doing chin-ups and pull up at work and found myself at 160, I could the added muscle in my chest and arms.
I have been on here for just over three months I faithfully log my food and exercise daily. Every time I complete my diary it says I should be around 150 in five weeks. I can't seem to get below 158, I've gone as high as 163. I realize most of you will tell me I have nothing to worry about but we are our own worst critic. When I look in the mirror all I see is the "love handles" on my sides. Which wrap around to my back. I hate it. I want to flat stomach I once had. The only way I have to assess my progress is weight. I want to get down to 150, and see if my "love handles" go away. Right or wrong its the only thing I have.
I run a few km's, I'm running 4.5 minute miles but MFP doens't calculate that fast. I also do my own circuit training. I can't afford gym fees. I do a combination of push-ups, dips, ab crunches, hyper extensions, and some dumbell work for my abs. I do about 100 cruches a day, regular and crunches to target my obliques.
Any advice at all? Exercise or diet, my diaries should be open.
Shirtless.jpg
Me
Abspic.jpg
The circles are my "love handles" the arrows are my hips bones.

Edit* can anyone tell me how to make these smaller?

Replies

• doug4018
    doug4018 Posts: 130
    Options
    I know the last thing you want to hear is this, but you honestly look great. I am very critical of men's bodies, I mean being gay that's kinda what we do lol, but I can say honestly I don't see any.

Now that i've said that, I will say that no one can make you like your body if you're unhappy with it. I get that part completely. You are an inspiration to me, I'd love to have my mid section look like yours someday. Good luck on your search for info, I hope you find the answer.

Oh you might contact user "ehsyme" he's made a major transformation and is about to be a certified trainer, he will answer questions, so maybe he can give you some advice, specific to that area. Again, you look great, good luck!
  • spongekitty
    spongekitty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're aware, but that crease is one of the sexiest parts of a man's body... I had always thought it was a muscle there, not fat? But i'm no expert in male anatomy besides knowing which bones I would and would not jump. And you, sir have some tastylicious hips, female-approved.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Only way would be to lose more fat. If I were you though I would sack up and do some bulking with barbell lifting to put on some more muscle mass and then cut more fat later. But that's just me, and I am biased.
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    wow, I expected from your description to actually see love handles in the photos... I don't see it. You look great!
  • jsukhan
    jsukhan Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    wow, I expected from your description to actually see love handles in the photos... I don't see it. You look great!

They are there, I pointed them out with an arrow.
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My point is that sometimes we see things in our own bodies that no one else would see... we're hypercritical. ;)

It's all perception.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Those don't look like love handles to me. That looks like the normal contour of a fit male body.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

I agree, I also wish i'd look like that.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You have a beautiful body and it's a shame you don't see it. But like the poster above said, no one can make you like your body if you're unhappy with it. Something to think about: If everybody else agrees that you look fit and healthy but you only see flaws, you may have a body image/self-esteem problem. I hope somebody here has the advice you're looking for. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    From here on out, I demand that MFP institute a policy of warning people before gigantic photos of half naked males are going to be right at the top of a thread. I just had to gouge out my eyes.

That is all.
  • karynmillar
    Options
    Depending on how strict you want to be with your diet you can try Paleo! Is great for shedding fat! But you do look great but it is about how you FEEL so if you wanna shed a few more % then google that
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You see love handles, but I see definition... I don't know how to post photos, but check this link out.. His sides are more defined than yours, but I wouldn't say he's got love handles.. They're muscles ;)

http://theberry.com/2010/07/23/afternoon-eye-candy-joe-manganiello-27-photos/eye-candy-joe-manganiello-9/
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I think you look hot!! I'm with the others in this..that bit you circled are part of a male figure that is healthy and that has been really worked on exercise wise...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    - how much are you eating a day on average?

- what you are showing may not be 'love handles' but your transverse abs showing, however, and to be blunt here, if they are, there also does look to be a little fat covering them (sorry!) - but not a lot at all and it does not look bad in the slightest.

- if it is fat, all those crunches will not help as you seem like you are trying to spot reduce, which is not possible. You need to reduce body fat to do that. Do you know what your BF% is?

- how many reps/sets are you doing with you resistance training?