eating back calories??

Options
I am under the impression that your body(female)needs 1200 calories to carry out normal metabolic functions. MFP told me to eat 1300 a day.(Im 21, 5'5 137 pounds.) If I do some kickboxing and burn like 300 cals.. should I be eating those back?? I am not losing any weight with this and I am a little confused. Is 1300 enough??

Replies

• mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    hey.. YES eat the exercise cals back.... thats why when you add them to your exercise it ups your cals.. cuz u want to consume the right calories in "net" calories.. (after exercise).. how long ago did you start??
    im at 1,380 cals a day.. and i started at only 1200 cals a day.. (did that for a mo) and wanted more cals! lol
    im 33 and started at 231#'s.. and am now 219 goal is 160... ive lost consistantly..
    i burn a minimum of 400 cals a day in exercise.. usually 600-800 and i grub em back.. on a big burn tho like 800 I may leave cpl hundred left ova... but I do agree that u shld at least be at net 1200 a day ... (like u said) unless its a person who had gastric bypass or something
  • m23gm25
    m23gm25 Posts: 157
    Options
    I am under the impression that your body(female)needs 1200 calories to carry out normal metabolic functions. MFP told me to eat 1300 a day.(Im 21, 5'5 137 pounds.) If I do some kickboxing and burn like 300 cals.. should I be eating those back?? I am not losing any weight with this and I am a little confused. Is 1300 enough??

I have read different ideas on this. But I think if you're not hungry why eat those extra calories? It seems to me the idea is to eat less to lose weight. I try not to eat all of them back.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Go here and get your BF%
    > http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

Go here and get your BMR
    > http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

See Katch-Mcardle section for your BMR.
    - Don't eat below this number. That is the number of calories that they would feed you if you were in a coma just to keep you alive.

See chart. Choose your activity level and eat that number and don't eat back exercise calories.
    If you want to eat back exercise cals because your workouts are inconsistent, use the sedentary number to eat and then eat back exercise calories.