White vs Brown Rice?

Options
I've always believed that brown rice is better for you than white rice - but comparing the two just now, the kcal per serving is less for white than for brown. (Tesco, UK) Can anyone clear this up for me?

Replies

• LisaNBorchers
    Options
    From what I understand the brown rice is better as it is not as processed.
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    now my question about rice that I"ve been meaning to ask is, do you guys buy the brown rice in a bag or box?
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You have to look at more than just the calorie count. Brown rice has more fiber, iron, and all sort of other nutrients. You are getting more nutrients for you calories, and that is always a good thing!!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    now my question about rice that I"ve been meaning to ask is, do you guys buy the brown rice in a bag or box?

I buy most of my grains in bags.
  • LisaNBorchers
    Options
    I buy Uncle Ben's Wholegrain Perfection Brown Rice, its boxed. I find that this is easier to cook and doesn't taste al dente(for me) I also add some chicken, beef or veggie stock with the water to add some flavor.
  • CrystalAHS
    Options
    Brown rice in the bag is always better IMO.

Brown rice has oodles more fiber which will keep feeling fuller longer. When choosing carbs I always make sure they have at least 1 gram of dietary fiber for every 7-8 grams of carbs.

Best "fast" food I have found recently... Bird's Eye Steamfresh brown rice. Perfectly steamed brown rice in 5 minutes.. it is wonderful! No added fat either. You will find it in the freezer section.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    Brown rice is more of a natural grain and so it is better for you.
  • siberiankiss
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) x
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is better for you because it doesn't cause a spike in blood sugar like most white rices, breads and pastas do.
  • ewsinclair
    Options
    White rice is a complex carb, meaning it will digest faster. You want to have more simple carbs( brown rice, wheat bread, pasta, etc..).