Need to stay strong!

Options
Hi everyone,

I recently discovered 'myfitnesspal.' I was relieved to see such a great supportive network that shares the same goal: achieving a healthier self. I have always struggled with my weight since I was a child. My entire family actually struggles with their weight. There are only a select number of my family members that have been able to maintain a healthy lifestyle. To be honest, I have always envied them. Those select few also have an excellent metabolism. I have always been praised for doing well academically but always reprimanded for not be able to use that same 'academic focus' to achieve a healthier self. A lot of people argue that it all has to do with 'willpower.' As of now, I am very weak, in terms of that 'will power'. I am getting stronger but I don't have any support at all from my family or friends and that makes it very difficult for me.

I would truly appreciate meeting some people here that will 'have my back.' I have so far lost 12 pounds within a three week period. I just recently started to post here though. Fingers crossed.

I guess I just need some friends to keep me on track.

Thanks,

Marina

Replies

• jessjess8143
    Options
    Add me if you need a friend and motivator! I often find that I need the same thing. I think we could help each other out. Good luck!
  • mina4692
    mina4692 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Same, I wish you the best and we WILL get through this.
    I will add you.
  • MSmooth747
    MSmooth747 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    add me, I love to help
  • gpwalling
    gpwalling Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Add me too if you like. It is difficult for me to be as consistent as I would like throughout the year. I usually lose weight in the Spring and Summer as I ramp up my exercising. In the Fall when it starts getting colder I lose my motivation to exercise outside and that is when the weight comes back on. This year I need to "Stay Strong" when Fall hits and brave the colder weather or eat less.
  • marlown
    marlown Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend. I love to give encouragement and sometimes I need it myself. Great job on your weight loss so far! I've lost about 50 lbs over the past 5 years. The past year I've gained back around 10 lbs, which I want to stop and continue to my goal of losing an additional 20-25. We can all encourage each other. MFP helps you realize you're not alone on this journey. Let's do this!!
  • LovelySammi
    LovelySammi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Add me! I'd love to help each other out and be a supportive addition to your mfp friends list. :)

I'm kind of new to mfp, so I've been looking for a friend or two a day! What you wrote here is very heartfelt. I can definitely relate to the family thing, I'd say at least 3/4 of my moms side of the family is considered "obese" which is a shame when it is said but it is true. & If that is what you grow up around it makes it more difficult to be fit, it also sucks when it's in your genetic make up to be a little heavy.
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Add me too I'm looking for friends to help me along also!! :)
    Missy
  • salesj1
    salesj1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Marina, Good for you! I don't think it's will power, I think it's changing your environment so the "trigger foods" aren't there to tempt you and developing new strategies to deal with stress etc. MFP is part of my strategy to deal w/ late night snacking - feel free to add me and maybe we can help each other!
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    As you increase your awareness of nutrition, brain chemistry, glycemic levels and their effect upon food cravings, you'll realize that willpower has nothing to do with it. I think people who deal daily with weight issues probably have more willpower than anyone because they try so hard to resist overeating. You are a smart girl, and will catch onto this system and discover what works best for you. Then just keep at it and you won't recognize yourself in a short year. :happy:
  • kittyconni
    Options
    You are welcome to add me too! I love to motivate and could use a little for myself every now and again! I am so very sorry that you do not have a support system in your friends and family. You will find a great support system here at MFP! Glad to have you on this journey with us!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Add me. I rock. :drinker:
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I thought I had no willpower as well but since I started logging everything I was eating it has actually helped a lot! I don't even feel like I'm depriving myself at all... I think it helps seeing foods for what they are instead of only thinking about what I'm craving at the moment. If you'd like to add me I'm always open to new friends! :)