<----- negative Nancy right here!

Options
Okay so I hate to whine but I just need to get this off my chest. I hate that this takes so loooooong! I know i know time, pay off in the end, anything worth having is worth working for-agreed! I just have 100 pounds to lose, am sick of being huge and would love an overnight miracle (as we all would) no I'm not going to stop, or break down and go clear my fridge at this moment, I just needed to vent that even 10 pounds a month will take me until next summer! It feels so long and discouraging! I hope I'm not the only one who feels like this!

I am proud of myself for starting and doing as good as I am, is love just a peek at the end result to hold me over though please!:bigsmile:

Replies

• avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    why don't you adjust your goal to something less like 25. That way you reach your goal sooner, but then just change it again when you loose more. It's more of a mental thing so "trick yourself into achieving smaller goals along the way
  • KalikaRae
    KalikaRae Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Your not the only one who feels that way. Ive been overweight for bout 9 years now due to crappy birth controls, tons of stress, and then 2 kids. Its frustrating!! Sometimes ya just gotta scream and rant a bit!! Thats why I bought a punching bag for my back patio. I get mad enough, I go beat it up for a bit. Hang in there!!
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Uh... you just started... and being as it is only Aug 23rd that means its been about 3 weeks, and 3 pounds in 3 weeks is NOTHING to even whine about. You are obviously looking at the big picture... and don't count on 10 pounds per month, because if you don't make it you will be horribly disappointed.

Suck it up princess, pull up those big girl panties or don't that is your call... but quit whining about 3 pounds in 3 weeks.
  • MSmooth747
    MSmooth747 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    what type of plan are you on? if your doing th right things shouldn't take long to see some kind of results.
    Way to stick with it though
  • viad25720
    viad25720 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    why don't you adjust your goal to something less like 25. That way you reach your goal sooner, but then just change it again when you loose more. It's more of a mental thing so "trick yourself into achieving smaller goals along the way
    I do have mini goals, It's just in the back of my sly little brain I still see that triple digit number! Darn!
  • viad25720
    viad25720 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Uh... you just started... and being as it is only Aug 23rd that means its been about 3 weeks, and 3 pounds in 3 weeks is NOTHING to even whine about. You are obviously looking at the big picture... and don't count on 10 pounds per month, because if you don't make it you will be horribly disappointed.

Suck it up princess, pull up those big girl panties or don't that is your call... but quit whining about 3 pounds in 3 weeks.
    A princess how lovely! And actually it was in a week. Just so you know, I usually get part way thru get discouraged and quit. Probably my 8th time trying. Oh but your lovely words of encouragement will push me thru for sure-not! You should start your own negative Nancy club. P.s. when you're as big as me, a few pounds in the first few weeks each week is normal. You have 15 to lose. So go wouldnt know!
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I know, it feels like it takes forever! I do the small goals too, except for me, I do clothes not weight. I went from size 20 down to a 16/14. I like that better than the scale. My next goal is a size 12. I cant try on a size 12 everyday, or every hour like I can torture myself with the scale lol. Good luck to you and try not to think about it. Just keep doing what you are doing. It will come off :drinker:
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It can be hard, for everyone!

Look in the mirror and repeat, "I am worth the time and effort."

You have to be the one to push this through to the end, but you can do it! You have taken the hardest step, the rest is consistency. Next summer will be here before you know it.

Breaking down your goal into smaller goals lets you achieve success that much faster ... reward yourself for every one of those 10 pounds goals.

1 pound a week is a typical point to start with on MFP, though the pounds seem to fall off quickly in those first couple weeks to months. Make sure you are eating above your BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate. Eating below can actually retard your weight loss efforts.
  • mdmike513
    Options

A princess how lovely! And actually it was in a week. Just so you know, I usually get part way thru get discouraged and quit. Probably my 8th time trying. Oh but your lovely words of encouragement will push me thru for sure-not! You should start your own negative Nancy club. P.s. when you're as big as me, a few pounds in the first few weeks each week is normal. You have 15 to lose. So go wouldnt know!
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    You know.. I've felt the same way. Even as far in as I am... I think "WHY AM I NOT THERE YET????" :wink: lol The great news? Every single day, every single struggle... it's worth it. You will get there. You just have to keep going.
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I can relate!! I have less to lose, and I'm feeling discouraged too. Hang in there!
  • rebbiebear
    Options
    Oh gosh! What I wouldn't give to just unzip my "fat suit" and step out all slim, trim,and tone the way I used to be. But it doesn't work that way, so its back to the old GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out). Everyone deserves about 5 minutes once or twice a week to whine and complain that life is too hard. Because it can be. As long as you get up and get to it at the end no harm is done. One of the things I tell myself is: It didn't come on in a month, and it wont' go off in a month. :grumble:
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel like you and get frustrated with how long it's taking this weight to come off. 8 months and I'm only a little over half way there.... but then I remember how long of a time it was that I put the weight on. At this rate, it will at least be off faster than I put it on, so that's some consolation. I hope the same is true for you so you can add that to your positive pile!
  • WickedBean
    Options

ACTUALLY... I am 4'9 and weigh 208pounds, started at 218... so I actually have a bout 100 - 110 pounds to lose, I chose to set my ticker at 5 pounds and change it at every 5 pounds so I do not get frustrated and quit... one look at my profile would tell you I have been at this for 2 years and just seriously started losing weight this past may... so before you judge maybe you should think.

Yes my ticker says I have 15 pounds to lose and when I hit 205 it will say I have 20 to lose.

I just hate whiny babies.. 3 pounds in one week OMG you are so gonna be here forever... yeah... good luck I am guessing you wont stick to it this time either.

ETA: And yes I am a princess thank you for taking notice...
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

ACTUALLY... I am 4'9 and weigh 208pounds, started at 218... so I actually have a bout 100 - 110 pounds to lose, I chose to set my ticker at 5 pounds and change it at every 5 pounds so I do not get frustrated and quit... one look at my profile would tell you I have been at this for 2 years and just seriously started losing weight this past may... so before you judge maybe you should think.

Yes my ticker says I have 15 pounds to lose and when I hit 205 it will say I have 20 to lose.

I just hate whiny babies.. 3 pounds in one week OMG you are so gonna be here forever... yeah... good luck I am guessing you wont stick to it this time either.

Sheesh! She fully admitted she was just venting. Nice supportive attitude 'guessing you won't stick to it'

OP, we all feel this way. 1 lb a week seems trivial when it's 1% of your total weight loss goals, but don't focus on that! I believe in you!!
  • WickedBean
    Options

Sheesh! She fully admitted she was just venting. Nice supportive attitude 'guessing you won't stick to it'

OP, we all feel this way. 1 lb a week seems trivial when it's 1% of your total weight loss goals, but don't focus on that! I believe in you!!

Read again... its her 8th time. She is frustrated after 1 week, and 3 pounds... tell me what happens when she gets her period and gains 2 pounds??? she will be back crying because she gained weight. I am sorry this site if full of whiny people who look at the big picture and fade out in a few months.

In the year I have been on MFP (different user name) I have seen first hand that the people who complain after the first week or 2 generally do not stick with it. I expressed my opinion I don't do hand holding or tissue handing. Fact is.... after 3 pounds whining about the big picture is stupid. one does not gain 100 pounds over night, therefore it will not come off over night, and 1 week of changing your eating habits is great.

Trust me I get frustration, I really do but it has been 1 week. I cannot feel sorry for someone after 1 week and 3 pounds.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Okay so I hate to whine but I just need to get this off my chest. I hate that this takes so loooooong! I know i know time, pay off in the end, anything worth having is worth working for-agreed! I just have 100 pounds to lose, am sick of being huge and would love an overnight miracle (as we all would) no I'm not going to stop, or break down and go clear my fridge at this moment, I just needed to vent that even 10 pounds a month will take me until next summer! It feels so long and discouraging! I hope I'm not the only one who feels like this!

I am proud of myself for starting and doing as good as I am, is love just a peek at the end result to hold me over though please!:bigsmile:

i have 64 lbs to lose and i feel the same way. i can only imagine how you must feel. what i'm thinking (hoping) is that after the first 20 or 30 lbs (or first few inches) i will see or feel a change and that will then push me forward. i have only been at this 11 days, but i feel pretty motivated.

i do think there is something to setting the small goals. try not to think about the big picture too much. it's basic math - if you eat less and move more, you will lose weight. so this will work for you. and you should see some pretty big changes in the next month or two. try to focus on that.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,946 Member
    Options
    Check out every success story that hits the forums. They should help ramp up your motivation. I have an MFP friend who has lost over 100 pounds since last Christmas, and she was terribly discouraged in February. Just keep doing it.

One morning I blew off my workout, and the first person I saw when I got to school was wearing a T-shirt that said "Every Damn Day - Just Do It." I went home and did it, and the saying has become my motto.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It's about the journey, not the destination. If you want to lose the weight quickly, you can easily have bariatric surgery. But you most likey will not learn proper nutrition & exercise. There is a lot of information to process & learn and only time, dedication and hard work will provide you with this. It's a conscious choice to make a lifestyle change in that you will become in complete control of every facet in your life. The physical aspect is just the surface. The real healing is on the inside and what matters most.

Edited for typo
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If it was quick and easy we'd all be skinny.

Hopefully, you're just getting over the beginners hump. The bad news is, there are more bad day humps and plateaus to come. Good News is, there will be days where you feel great and can take over the world. As with everything in life you need to take the bad with the good.