Lightheaded

Options
I think I did something wrong today.
I just got so completely lightheaded that I thought I was going to fall down.
I've never felt like that before.
I ate a banana and drank a glass of water and I feel a little better.
I haven't had dinner yet, either.

Does anyone know why?
My diary is open.

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You may have just eaten too little. Before the banana you were at about 800 calories for the day, and it looks like you exercised a fair amount today too. Just might not have been enough calories. Although it seems like you usually have a reasonable dinner, so it doesn't look like you're chronically starved - maybe just one of those days.

Also, I don't know about where you live, but here it was suddenly really hot again, and that can contribute to it too.
  • BeverlyBrooke
    Options
    You may have just eaten too little. Before the banana you were at about 800 calories for the day, and it looks like you exercised a fair amount today too. Just might not have been enough calories. Although it seems like you usually have a reasonable dinner, so it doesn't look like you're chronically starved - maybe just one of those days.

Also, I don't know about where you live, but here it was suddenly really hot again, and that can contribute to it too.

I live in Florida. Yes, it has been hot today. Thanks so much for your reply!
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This happens to me with regularity, especially if I've been squatting down and stand up too quickly.

It my case, it has to do with a low blood pressure, and taking a while for the heart to catch up with the brain. My vision can get blurry too. I just have to be careful to take a moment to balance out after coming to my feet.

This does not happen when I am active or during a workout, but rather when I am very relaxed.

I did speak to my Dr., and was told not to worry. My normal BP runs in the low 100s/70s.

If it happens again, and you cannot pinpoint the reason, a Dr. might be able to find the root cause.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Orthostatic hypotension. Hypoglycemia. Webmd..com
  • sigma54
    sigma54 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This happens to me with regularity, especially if I've been squatting down and stand up too quickly.

It my case, it has to do with a low blood pressure, and taking a while for the heart to catch up with the brain. My vision can get blurry too. I just have to be careful to take a moment to balance out after coming to my feet.

This does not happen when I am active or during a workout, but rather when I am very relaxed.

I did speak to my Dr., and was told not to worry. My normal BP runs in the low 100s/70s.

If it happens again, and you cannot pinpoint the reason, a Dr. might be able to find the root cause.

The medical name for this is orthostatic hypotension. As you've mentioned, it generally occurs when changing position (especially from lying down to standing up). Additional info from the Mayo Clinic here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/orthostatic-hypotension/DS00997
  • sowonderfultonight
    Options

It was actually really nice to read this o.e in a weird way. I have the SAME exact problem. My BP isn't low, apparently, but it's RIGHT on the border. When my sister was in nursing school, I let her and her friend practice things on me, and her friend had to double check with my sister, cause they both thought they were doing something wrong. My BP was literally almost in the "low" range, and I'm 19. xD So I've always ruled the lightheadedness off to that, plus the fact that I'm anemic and when I work out, I work out HARD. It's just kind of nice to know someone else has the same problem...like....a validation sort of way? I sit down in the shower to shave, and it literally takes me about a minute to actually get back into a standing position, because if I don't, I will LITERALLY black out. x_x it's always the most common when I'm relaxed, though, like you said. ^^' Okay I'll shut up now xD just kinda rambling nonsense, nbd.
  • sigma54
    sigma54 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Does anyone know why?
    My diary is open.

This has happened to me before. When I was doing long, difficult workouts, I would bring some gatorade to the gym with me otherwise I would get very faint and nauseated. It's related somehow to low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) probably due to extended exercise. Usually having something with some sugar in it will alleviate the symptoms quickly (if this is what's causing it). If it keeps happening and doesn't get better with a bit of food, definitely see a doctor about it!
  • hilarryus
    hilarryus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue more times then not. I would monitor your carb and sugar intake. I found that oddly enough i was not eating enough carbs and my body was freaking out.

Try that :)
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Can't tell much from your dairy other than that you are eating a lot of sugars, for the most part they are from low gi fruits.
  • jojostar85
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only one! I experience this too and I never starve myself, especially after what happened to me once: I actually got vertigo in a shopping mall and had to call a friend to drive me home.

I forgot to eat lunch that day and walked 3 miles to the mall, it was very stupid of me to do! I went to the doctor and found out that I am indeed on the border of low blood pressure.

One thing I've noticed that helped tremendously is if I know I'm going to be moving around a lot that day, I make sure I have protein-rich snacks with fruit and just eat a little every hour. My friend (the one who I called) has low blood pressure and I noticed recently she does the same thing too!
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

Does anyone know why?
    My diary is open.

Happens to me all the time now. I asked my doctor, she said it could be low blood sugar (basically too few carbs) but she did a blood test and everything is perfect. She said take some deep breaths before standing up and not to stand up too quickly. It's a small adjustment I'm willing to deal with.
  • BeverlyBrooke
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much!
  • dlbinin
    dlbinin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Your not eating enough. You have ate less than 900 calories. Your body needs fuel. If it happens again please get to a doctor and show him/her your food journal too. Take care of yourself.