how to complain?

Options
Last week I had a pedicure at a spa. And. Well. To be blunt, the woman who painted my nails sucked. Sure, I got a great foot massage and scented lotion and everything, but seriously, she didn't even get all the polish off my toe nails from the last time I painted them- you can see the orange on the sides of the nails which looks really awful since the new color is purple. I payed $40 and didn't realize what a crap job she'd done til I got home, later.

Naturally, I want some sort of reimbursement but every time I go in to complain, she is there, and... I feel bad!

What would you do in this situation?

Replies

• art3mislecter
    art3mislecter Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would ask to speak to a manager-- call ahead to find out when a manager will be in. Then calmly and politely explain to the manager that you didn't realize how bad the job was until you got home. At the very least, even if you don't get compensated for the bad job, the woman who did it will be informed that her work needs to improve. Good luck-- I would be SO irritated if someone messed up on my pedicure.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You did not get what you paid for. Talk to the manager, show her the orange still there, and ask for a free or reduced pedi next time you come.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,144 Member
    Options
    Never fun to confront but that's what 'big girl' panties are for... but things go much better if you're prepared...

Here's a link to a presentation on having difficult conversations:

http://www.slideshare.net/jahroy13/having-difficult-conversations-presentation

Good luck!
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    I think you expressed yourself very well in your post and I would convey that sense to the owner or manager of the place. Let her know that you are happy with some aspects of your experience but the polish job is not acceptable. I think they will be happy to correct it for you if you are polite and businesslike without sarcasm or insult.

They will want you to be happy so you come back and give them good word of mouth.

Good luck!
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I would just find another salon next time not worth going back for $40
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be an *kitten* here at all, but I'm being totally honest. I think you have to inspect the work from a service before you leave. Leaving indicates satisfied.

I got a ****ED UP car wash. I am the world's most vocal person. Noticing that it was horrible when I got home, too bad for me.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've never had a pedicure (I'm grossed out by someone touching my feet -- especially when they've touched a lot of other feet too.. BLECH), so I don't know exactly how it works... why did it take you til you got home to notice? I notice right away if I don't paint my toenails as well as I should have. So, I'm curious why it took til you got home to see it vs seeing it right there in the salon where you could have pointed it out to her?

That being said, I would call the salon and ask to speak to a manager. I would politely inform him/her about what happened, but considering you didn't notice right away? I don't think I'd expect them to reimburse you or for them offer to re-do it. This may be a live and learn kind of situation.