"Lifting Weights Is The BEST THING You Can Do"

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Great thread...you all have motivated me to start lifting. I have been doing cardio 5-6 times per week for the past 8 weeks and I gained weight...recently started the Dukan Diet and dropped 5...but that's severely limiting my diet, only eating protein and working out an hour a day. I have always wanted to learn how to lift - but it's so intimidating at the gym - everyone seems to know what they are doing and I know NOTHING about lifting. I have a few sessions with a personal trainer for joining the gym and hopefully he/she can start me off on the right path. Thanks for all the great info! Hopefully the inches just melt away. :)

You should read the book "starting strength"
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to learn how to lift - but it's so intimidating at the gym - everyone seems to know what they are doing and I know NOTHING about lifting.
    i agree so much with that. I feel so inexperienced..
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    When I ran & did boxing and ate a calorie deficit I got skinny. Skinny fat.

When I started lifting heavy actually got the six pack I was always after. Not to mention not feeling like a weakling.
    Ok, Just read "Lifting Weights Is The BEST THING You Can Do" thread. I need to get started. Here are the facts.

I am 62, male. Lost from 285 to 251 in about 4 months. Been doing Leslie Sansone, Wii, Dancing to Oldies, and walking up to 2 miles in the woods pushing my puppy in a stroller. That is it. I average 1200 calories 'healthy' eating. I do use the bands for resistance sometimes.

For the past 8 years I have averaged 1000 miles per week driving a car from customer to customer repairing on site equipment. Laid off in April and up until about 1 June, did not start exercising.

I have a bi-polar prosthesis in my left femur, (metal mushroom spike for an upper femur bone in the socket). Arthritis in my elbows, neck and back. I have been taking meds for these conditions since I was medically retired from the Army in 1986.

I am VERY apprehensive about the lifting weights thing, whatever I do will be a 'Testing' of the possibility to actually be able to incorporate them into my exercises regime.

Please advise what I should get, how I should proceed and what I should expect. Thanks.

Edited by jjl0412 on Thu 08/23/12 10:25 AM

With those injuries, I'd recommend seeing a good personal trainer or even a physio if you see one to make sure you don't over do it. As has been said, resistance training doesn't have to be about barbells and iron. Plenty of bw stuff you can do as well as resistance bands while may be more beneficial in you're case.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Had anyone else had these kind of "transformations"?
    YES. I was never really overweight, but I looked just okay in my opinion. Now I am the same weight as when I got married, but I'm a size smaller. Everything is more compact, no jiggling (except my tummy after 2 pregnancies... little one is still a toddler so I'm holding out hope). And I think I look more proportionate.
  • buckeyegirl6973
    buckeyegirl6973 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i use free weights and i use my own body for strength too....i have gotten jillian michaels..strength training videos..and folllowed them.
    I went to the gym for a yr. and saw hardly any results..and i used their weight machines.....i started running for cardio and now i do those videos and use free weights and my own body..and the pds just melted off!!. good luck.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I lifted 3 days a week and did insanity and it worked for me. That is along with a strict diet of 60/30/10.

1tYiNXmJ7Ma88S5P3pA7ehXN9Rfd1606p.jpeg

19971074_6667.jpg
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I lifted 3 days a week and did insanity and it worked for me. That is along with a strict diet of 60/30/10.

19971074_6667.jpg
    AWESOME. Holy crap. How long did that take?
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of heavy free weight lifting for myself. I stayed at the same obese weight for years doing free weights and less cardio. I ditched the heavier free weights and started taking classes for strength training (lower weights, higher reps, and body resistance exercises like push ups, squat thrusts, squats, lunges, etc.), kick boxing, spinning, Zumba, jogging, and an occassional Body Pump class. I have seen more positive body changes and weight loss this way. My legs have NEVER looked so good and I have more definition in my arms than I thought I could get. I just don't think there is any one right answer for everyone.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options

19971074_6667.jpg

8 months
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    So what should I be doing? What kind of weights? Should I use machines? Should I use free weights? What is the best plan or routine to follow? I would like to start lifting. I do some machines, but I feel I get nowhere. I probably am not doing it right. By that I mean not lifting enough or reps or something of the sort.

I am a type of girl that needs to follow a plan. Are there any apps, websites or books to follow from?

do what works for you and what makes you want to consistently do it. alot of people will say free weights are the way to go and that the machines aren't that great. but i know myself. right now, i'm doing the machines because i like it and i'm consistent. the free weights are overwhelming to me right now. if you choose to do the free weights, hire a trainer for 2-3 times so you get the hang of it. and maybe hire a trainer 1 time to get the hang of the machines.

essentially, you want to be lifting to failure. it should not be easy. i had always done 3 sets of 10 reps on the same weight but right now i am doing a pyramid; which is: 1 set of 10 reps, 1 set of 8 reps, and 1 set of 6 reps, all with increasing weight. for example: set 1 is 10 reps with 40lbs, set 2 is 8 reps with 50lbs and set 3 is 6 reps with 60lbs. the idea is that by the time you get to the last few reps you pretty much can't get them because you're too tired. wait about a minute or two between sets. go slowly and controlled. you will see many many people at the gym lifting very quickly, but you will get much more out of going slow and doing it right.

if you can control the weight and go consistently slow then you have too much weight.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options

19971074_6667.jpg

8 months
    SO IMPRESSIVE.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    From this
    991269_3583.jpg

to this from boxing and running (1.5 years)
    991269_8694.jpg

to this from lifting (2.5 years)
    991269_3034.jpg
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    :D So so motivating
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding Chrisdavey. I went to the gym on post and looked around today. I think I will start with some of the machines to build on resistance training and am signing up for the Seniors Arobics swim classes. Maybe after a while I will feel more like testing some of the assisted weight machines. I don't think I will ever be able to do dead weight lifting but as long as I take my time and do not exceed my limits, it should at least be beneficial? They have folks on site to assist with most everything. Walking has made a huge difference. BTW: Your progress has been nothing short of amazing!
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Thanks for responding Chrisdavey. I went to the gym on post and looked around today. I think I will start with some of the machines to build on resistance training and am signing up for the Seniors Arobics swim classes. Maybe after a while I will feel more like testing some of the assisted weight machines. I don't think I will ever be able to do dead weight lifting but as long as I take my time and do not exceed my limits, it should at least be beneficial? They have folks on site to assist with most everything. Walking has made a huge difference. BTW: Your progress has been nothing short of amazing!
    I started out on machines (: I'll be honest and tell you the transition is a little different because with free weights, it feels "heavier" in my opinion
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've been at my goal weight since April--but with lifting I was able to cut another inch and half off my hips + inch off my waist in 6 weeks. It's completely transformed my body composition and now I have a visible 4 pack when I had nothing before. Lift! Your body will thank you!

This is at my goal weight--before and after strength training:

Before:
    IMAG0478.jpg
    IMAG0474.jpg

After:
    11888ef3-7287-4c39-ab29-613128afde34.jpg
    fef2d591-bfce-464a-8a3d-a095d7ab8409.jpg
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    You. Look. STUNNING! After only 6 weeks? That's so amazing. and may I ask what your tattoo says?
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You. Look. STUNNING! After only 6 weeks? That's so amazing. and may I ask what your tattoo says?

Alis Volat Propriis---she flies by her own wings in Latin.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Alis Volat Propriis---she flies by her own wings in Latin.
    I like it (: I want to get my "weight loss success" tattoo in that area. Did it hurt a lot?