Dress sizes at the same weight

Options
My quick stats cause they're buried: 5'1, 181.5 lbs, size 12

Okay, so I know this is weird, and I'm not sure it actually falls under this category, but I'd love it if someone could explain this to me.

Why do people wear wildly different sizes - AT THE SAME HEIGHT with the same weight? I go onto mybodygallery all the time to check things out and get a feel for what girls of my height are at.

I look up my weight and height and most of the girls claim to wear clothes 1-2 sizes larger. Then I go look at my next size down (size 10), and the girls are 140-150 pounds (I'm 181.5 atm). There's no way that 30 POUNDS is a singular clothing size as I am down tot a large 12 from a large 14 at 10 pounds lost.

Why is this? Does it have to do with dress sizing for example? I always thought that the smaller you were the CLOSER dress sizes were together. Am I wrong? Seriously. Does it have to do with frame size (I have a large one)? Muscle? (On online calculators I'm like 28% Body fat, but obviously these aren't THAT accurate).

It would just be SOO frustrating if I had to lose 30-40 pounds for my next dress size.. you know?

I frankly hope to be near a size 6 at 140 pounds (which I guess might not be realistic?)...

Thanks.

Edited to add a current picture:
A1Bwi14CIAAceRZ.jpg:large
The pants are size 12 American Eagle, and the jacket is a L in Charlotte Russe.

Replies

• sharon1dunne
    Options
    I have been told 5kgs is a dress size. Hope this helps
  • sharon1dunne
    Options
    Ps. I just changed your pounds into kilos (I am from Australia) and it says you are 82.3 kilos.

I am 5'2 and 63 kilos I wear a size 12 sometimes a 10 in Australia.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Ps. I just changed your pounds into kilos (I am from Australia) and it says you are 82.3 kilos.

I am 5'2 and 63 kilos I wear a size 12 sometimes a 10 in Australia.

a size 12 in Australian sizes? I think that might be a size 10 or 8 in U.S. Or did you convert?
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    It depends on a few things.

How much of your weight is fat versus muscle. Muscle is denser than fat, so if you have a lot of muscle, you might wear a smaller size than someone with more fat.

Where you carry your weight. Hips vs belly vs arms etc.

What kind of clothes you wear. Not all size 6s are the same.

I'm 5'2"' and now down to 118. I am probably a 4, but can squeeze into a 2. 25 1/2 in waist, 35 1/2 "hips.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It would really depend on a lot of things. The different shapes of people and where they wear their weight is one factor. Also, the clothing brand the all fit differently. I was trying some not stretch clothing and I could still fit a 16 a little losely, I had another item that is a 10. Also, jr's are sized different, and so is UK, AU, and US.

I'm 5 - 2 and 165 lbs, and right now am about size 12 on average, and just started to squeeze (if don't breath or move), in most 10s . :laugh:

I wouldn't focus on size, but rather on fit.
  • xxvogue
    Options
    It would really depend on a lot of things. The different shapes of people and where they wear their weight is one factor. Also, the clothing brand the all fit differently. I was trying some not stretch clothing and I could still fit a 16 a little losely, I had another item that is a 10. Also, jr's are sized different, and so is UK, AU, and US.

I'm 5 - 2 and 165 lbs, and right now am about size 12 on average, and just started to squeeze (if don't breath or move), in most 10s . :laugh:

I think that on mybodygallery it's all US. Even if not that wouldn't explain my case. Since it'd be the opposite.

And you're barely taller (I'm really 5'1 1/2), but weigh far less and the same size. It's insanity! So would I be a 12 at 165 too?

I'm curious as to everyone's measurements as well.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Muscle and how you carry your weight. This is something that I struggle with too. I also found that pant length is affected by the way you carry weight. I had a friend one inch shorter than me who wore the same size pants as me, she was 5'3 and I am 5'4 and I have to wear long length and she wears short length pants. We came to the conclusion that it's all my big booty's fault. Lol, soo kinda not the same as what you are talking about but kinda sorta.
    Don't compare yourself, you deserve to be happy without having to worry how you stack up!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I wore a US size 14 at 180 pounds and I'm 5" taller than you are. It has to do with where you carry your weight, as well as frame size. I'm short waisted, which means I'm thick waisted, and as an apple I carried most of my excess weight in my midsection. My hips are narrow and my butt and thighs have always been on the scrawny side, but it's my thick waist much more than my narrow hips that determine the size I need.
  • xxvogue
    Options
    I carry a lot of weight in my arms and bust, which I didn't really consider, so I wonder if that plays a big roll in it. Most clothes fit from below my boobs down very easily, but things get confused on my man shoulders ;)
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I think that on mybodygallery it's all US. Even if not that wouldn't explain my case. Since it'd be the opposite.

And you're barely taller (I'm really 5'1 1/2), but weigh far less and the same size. It's insanity! So would I be a 12 at 165 too?

I'm curious as to everyone's measurements as well.

The last time I was this weight, I was a size 8. I've had two kids since then, and am a lot less muscular than before, in addition, I carry alot of my weight at my middle, not so much on my top.
  • Adelle0711
    Options
    Yes I like to see those smaller numbers in my closet too but I have to agree with the previous comment to focus on fit not size. Sometimes I don't think there is much consistency in women's sizes except that "grown-ups" have even numbers and teens have odd numbers. I'm just shy of 5'6" and am now around 137lb. I have a pair of size 10 pants that I was wearing comfortably at around 150 that now hang on me and look terribly baggy. However when I went back to the store excited to get a smaller size -- of the same pants! -- the 8 was tight enough to give VPL problems. It was incredibly frustrating.
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I was an 8/10 when I started at 5'2", 144 and a 30-31 in waist.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the same way, I always look lighter than I am.

I started MFP at 174 lb and a size 12. At 150 I'm an 8, and a few months ago I hit 140 before a health thing and I was finally inching into the 6es (I'm talking about the stores that aren't the worst vanity sizers. I'm a whole size smaller at old navy because they vanity size like woah).

I think it has to do with a large frame and a lot of muscle. The only thing that bothers me is that at 23% body fat I was still technically overweight by BMI, when that's a healthy body fat percent!
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Depends on SO many things.

I went shopping today and bought 3 different tops. 1 in a size small, 1 in a size med and 1 in a size large.

5'0, 148 pounds, size 8 dress, size 10 bottoms, mainly size med tops.

eta: 34/29/39
  • xxvogue
    Options

I started MFP at 174 lb and a size 12. At 150 I'm an 8, and a few months ago I hit 140 before a health thing and I was finally inching into the 6es (I'm talking about the stores that aren't the worst vanity sizers. I'm a whole size smaller at old navy because they vanity size like woah).

I think it has to do with a large frame and a lot of muscle. The only thing that bothers me is that at 23% body fat I was still technically overweight by BMI, when that's a healthy body fat percent!

This sounds the most like me definitely. I'm not talking vanity stores here like Old Navy, I mean like... American Eagle and young adult brands like Forever 21 (which I think run tighter than most but I so could be wrong, these are just the stores I shop at the most being 20).

I'm assuming you're around the same height too. It's really nice to see other people with the same... issue? I mean it's not really an issue, but the same stat type of deal. My current goal weight is around 135, but I will evaluate once there to see what's plausible.

I was ultimately wondering if it had more to do with a large frame than anything else?

BTW, I love your dress in the picture!
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm a 4 and they are baggy at 139 and years ago at 133 I was a comfortable 6 with a tummy. The difference is body fat %
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

This sounds the most like me definitely. I'm not talking vanity stores here like Old Navy, I mean like... American Eagle and young adult brands like Forever 21 (which I think run tighter than most but I so could be wrong, these are just the stores I shop at the most being 20).

I'm assuming you're around the same height too. It's really nice to see other people with the same... issue? I mean it's not really an issue, but the same stat type of deal. My current goal weight is around 135, but I will evaluate once there to see what's plausible.

I was ultimately wondering if it had more to do with a large frame than anything else?

BTW, I love your dress in the picture!

Thanks!

I just keep reminding myself that I don't wear my weight on my forehead, nobody has to know... then it's almost like a point of pride. :)