Kid's running

Options
Ok, I did a little searching and couldn't find anything so pardon me asking if this was addressed before.

My son, turns 8 in 2 days, wants to take up running. He has always enjoyed running and now wants to run regularly. Can anyone recommend some websites or advice on helping him? I want to support him, let him grow to enjoy running and exercising so he doesn't battle the bulge like me. But I don't want him burning out on it or doing damage to his growing body. Tonight he ran 0.62 miles like it was nothing. Did it in about 5 minutes without stopping. I am not a runner, can someone help? Thanks.

Replies

• klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Kids are natural runners with amazing form!

The best bet is to let him decide how far, how fast, and how often he wants to go. You can encourage him and can support him by getting him good shoes to run in, and maybe run with him (or ride your bike beside him) and see if he wants to enter any short races (there are kids' and family races that are short and fun!).

He won't burn out if he is choosing how much to run.

Most coaches and doctors don't recommend long distances for young kids because their joints and bones are still developing. But anything up to 5-10km is fine, if he wants to do it! :)
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinion. I kind of wondered about the joints and bones. Ok, so those short distances wont be so bad.

Anyone else have any advice?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Go have a look at some of the articles on runnersworld.com on the topic of children and running.

It seems that many of the old fears about growth plate damage etc have been proven to be unfounded (some very young children have completed marathons) and it seems the most important factor is that it is the child wanting to run rather than being coerced and that they have quality, properly fitting shoes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17465593

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/31/nyc-marathon-facts-7-thin_n_341083.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--11828-0,00.html
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Bumping to check out later, my 6 year old is also very interested in running.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure 8 is fine. Look into local kids running programs. Where I live we have a running group for elementary age boys called Stride and there is one for girls called Girls on the Run. I think they are part of the local YMCA. I am pretty sure they have to be 8 to join and they always do a few 5k races a year, so your son doing a mile or so really should be fine!
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ok, I did a little searching and couldn't find anything so pardon me asking if this was addressed before.

My son, turns 8 in 2 days, wants to take up running. He has always enjoyed running and now wants to run regularly. Can anyone recommend some websites or advice on helping him? I want to support him, let him grow to enjoy running and exercising so he doesn't battle the bulge like me. But I don't want him burning out on it or doing damage to his growing body. Tonight he ran 0.62 miles like it was nothing. Did it in about 5 minutes without stopping. I am not a runner, can someone help? Thanks.

I'm a runner. I ran my first mile race when I was 4 and my first 5K when I was 6. Try looking for a kids running club in your area (some schools have them.) They may your best bet for him not getting burnt out and making sure he doesn't over do it. I also recommend looking for kids 1 mile fun runs in your area and eventually working him up to a 5K. My almost 4 year old has been running off and on for a year. I have yet to tire him out to where he doesn't want to run anymore. Good luck and great post!
  • Morethanwillpower12
    Morethanwillpower12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't have any medical statistics to quote but just some personal experience. My boyfriends 8 year old son loves running. He has competed in two 5K's now with his father. It doesn't seem to have any ill effects on him that we can see. :)
  • plafleur76
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this is encouraging news. I know it is healthy, i just want to foster his love of running, since I hate it, and I don't want to let him hurt himself.
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    I am glad I saw this. My 4 year old wants to try running with her mama, too. :)
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    My daughter is 8 as well and just getting into running. I let her decide how long she wants to run and how far. Typically she will do a mile three times a week at her own pace and she is loving it. : )
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Is there an athletics club near you. We have one that accepts kids, they are in age groups and all the staff are trained to train kids. Thay are experts at getting the most out of kids and not pushing them too hard. I enquired because my daughter has hypermobilty syndrome (double jointed) and they said they had dealt with this before and if she felt any pain she could sit out. They also have a special needs group. If you have one talk to them and express your concerns.
  • plafleur76
    Options
    Oh definitely I am not going to push him for times or distance. I just want him to enjoy it and see if I can coax a little more effort out of him without him knowing it, very small increments though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    In our gym, running laps for the kids is made up as races or games. "Sharks and Minnows" is popular as well as relay races. Of course you need other kids to participate though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My kids (age 9 and 7) wanted to run a 5K with me. We followed Couch to 5K. My 7-year-old was bored and only went on about half the training runs with us. My 9-year-old liked it. We ended up doing the 5K as a family. My husband and son walked and jogged it. My daughter and I ran the whole thing, only taking one walk break in the middle where they were handing out water. We ran slow at her comfortable pace and really had a lot of fun.

I didn't get into running until later in life (ran my first marathon at age 30) so I'm happy that my kids are interested. My little guy is more of a sprinter....he likes to go really fast and then be done. My daughter is built like a gazelle with legs a mile long and hollow bones (I swear, she's so light for her height) - she's a natural distance runner, she makes it seem easy.

They don't run regularly but they do like to do kids races when they are offered at the marathon and half-marathons that I run. I don't bug them about running, but when they talk about doing another 5K I remind them that we can't just go run it, they need to work up to the distance again. I'm glad they like to run and am happy to take them out whenever they're interested but I'm not going to push them.

My daughter likes to bike alongside me when I go for a longer run....she thinks that is fun.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My daughter ran her first race at 5, she is now 13 & still running strong. She is on her 2nd year in Cross Country & her 4th year doing a 4-5 mile leg in the Beach to Bay Relay Marathon. She is now a medal hog...she doesn't worry about finish 1st or last as long as she has a good run & finishes safely.

Encourage & be supportive of them in physical activities...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Maybe a little OT but many races will also have kids events (1 or 2k fun runs) where they get a t-shirt or some other souvenir. You'll also find that most running / track clubs will have kids programs too (both of my kids spent several years in the Ottawa Lions junior program and loved it - interestingly they both ultimately chose soccer as their sport)
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Make him an appointment with a chiropractor, they are wonderful for treating growing kids who are active, it will help keep his spine aligned correctly and growing well!

Im glad to hear of kinds wanting to be active!
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled across this neat website with lots of ideas for kids running.
    Here is a chart they use to determine how far a kid should run:

http://www.kidsrunning.com/kidsrunningdistance.html
  • plafleur76
    Options
    great website acs, thanks.