I'm Not Losing and It's REALLY Discouraging!

Options
I seem to have reached a plateau, and I would really appreciate any advice. I know that this happens, and I've read some responses to previous posts on this, but I'd still really appreciate any feedback on my personal case anyone may have. I've opened up my diary. I'm so annoyed at not losing, I'm almost ready to quit MFP! Yesterday I had a drink instead of going running -- LOL.

I'm a 53-yr. old female. I'm 5'4". I started my new diet/exercise route June 6; I weighed 148.8. I was down to 140.6 on Aug. 9... and Aug. 16... and Aug. 22! Yes, I've weighed EXACTLY THE SAME, down to the 10th of a lb., for two weeks. Grrrr!

I was a complete couch potato before this, and I've never been a big exerciser. I started out by just walking more, then I started a twice-a-week Pilates class, and then I got into the Couch to 5 k program, which I'm halfway through. Since July I've been using a Fitbit, so I log the Pilates class (a mere 119 calories), and then Fitbit puts in anything more I've burned. Even though I'm not doing heavy-duty workouts and burning hundreds and hundreds of calories like so many people on MFP, I'm exercising MUCH more than prior to this, and I've really seen the impact -- I'm definitely firmer everywhere, and feel better. But it's just really discouraging to not be losing more weight. And the one interval when I lost the MOST weight was losing 1.6 lbs over a 9-day period when I was feeling kind of sick, and hardly exercising at all!

So: what's my problem?? Is the exercise building muscle which is offsetting any fat loss, keeping my weight the same? It doesn't feel like that -- there is still PLENTY OF FAT here -- my body type is such that it's all concentrated around my mid-section -- not healthy. This 8 lb loss is barely noticeable in terms of clothes fitting. Surely I don't need to eat MORE, right? And I think my calorie counts are mostly accurate. I mean, some may be a tad off when I eat out somewhere, but I've been pretty careful. I often don't eat QUITE all my exercise calories, because I figure in case the calorie counts are a bit off, that compensates. But I'm not drastically under-eating by any means. Am I eating too MUCH? I suppose ideally I'd exercise more, but coming from where I was, I'm just proud of myself for what I'm doing now! It's pretty discouraging if this exercise routine isn't going to help me lose this fat. ...With regard to my eating, I started out eating a lot more fruits and veggies than previously (which was almost none).... lately, I've started to slide a bit on that, but still, the calorie counts are where they should be.

Any advice appreciated. I'm really frustrated.

Replies

• printererror
    printererror Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements? I highly suggest you do. If the case is that you're replacing fat with muscle, thus keeping your weight you should still be losing inches!
  • Lisa6206
    Lisa6206 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey Lily,

Sorry to see you frustrated. Taking your measurements is a good idea. I think your calorie target is in line, and it looks like you are making healthy choices. You might try not eating back your exercise calories for a while and see if it makes an improvement. I have read some about Dr Oz's "Calorie Confusion" where you boost your metabolism by eating high calorie one day, and low calories the next. You might want to google that, and give that a shot. Your metabolism might just need a kick in the pants to get over this plateau. Don't give up though. It really will pay off. Best of luck! =0)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your progress so far! But keep in mind that you are close to your goal weight, so it will be harder to lose those last few pounds.
    Second, read this to make sure you have your calorie goal set up correctly:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Since you are using a Fitbit, you should be able to get an average on your TDEE pretty accurately, but this will help you figure out your BMR and determine if your calorie goal is correct.

And I definitely agree with keeping measurements - although I don't think you are gaining muscle (that's pretty hard to do on a deficit, especially without lifting heavy weights), you most likely are losing inches. The closer you get to your goal, the more important those inches are. Think about it - would you like to weigh 5lbs less and still be the same size pants, or would you like to weigh the same, and go down a pants size? To me, the size is more important than the scale. Just something to think about!

Good luck!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    When you have so little to lose, you have to be extra careful that you are eating almost perfectly! Where are your fruits and vegies? I looked back at your diary over the past week and saw very few unless they are mixed in with other things (which if often the case with me). Did you know you can track more things.... sodium for example. You eat a lot of cheese and other things that are high in sodium, it is likely part of your problem. Why is your protein goal so high, yet you never reach it? If you were to add more protein, fruits and vegies, it would give you more calories that you may need without the sodium.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You actually need to use a food scale to weigh your foods and measuring cups to ensure you're eating the right amount of calories. You've lost 8 pounds, and that's fantastic; however, you weigh about 140 pounds now. This means you need to reduce your calories to about 1,200 or increase your workouts, because as you grow older, you need fewer calories. You need approximately 1,500 calories a day to maintain your current weight; therefore, you'll have to decrease your calories and increase your workouts to continue to lose.

Lift Weights.
    Take a Spin class.
    Drink plenty of water
    Weigh your foods
    Eat 1,200 calories a day
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost weight in 3 weeks technically, but I know I had a massive drop 3 weeks ago which seemed to good to be true so it evened out :p
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you are upset about. It took me 1 and 1/2 years to lose 58 pounds. You are being a spoiled brat. LOL (I go through this myself often and can be quite a brat myself). You are so close OF COURSE IT IS GOING TO SLOW DOWN!!! Plus aren't you already in a normal BMI range now?? Have you looked at your profile with your new weight to see how much your lower weight affects your calorie intake? I'd focus on the exercise. I have lost inches. I have been at the same weight for 6 weeks and lost 2 more pants sizes. Your progress can have more effect than just the scale. Have faith and keep going.
  • inspiredfitchick
    Options
    Hi Lily. First of all congratulations on your weight loss. That is very significant and be proud. Hopefully I can give you some insight as I have lost 85 pounds very successfully without compromising muscle loss. I completely disagree with Rodneyderrick. Sorry there is no way to no for sure how many calories anyone should be consuming. Only a nutritionist would know by checking your resting metabolic rate through machines and factoring in your height age activity level, etc. Unfortunately weight loss is extremely complicated or everyone would be thin.
    First all calories are not created equal. Myfitnesspal is a good start but its more than calories. It's about the quality of your calories and your macronutrient distribution.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/894/Why_the_Calorie_Approach_to_Weight_Loss_Doesnt_Wor.aspx

Our bodies break down protein calories much differently than carb calories. Science proves this. Second I did not see any vegetables in your diary. I also can not see your sugar grams so change your settings. That is a factor too because added sugar cause an insulin response and too much sugar stores as fat.
    I believe you are doing pretty well. However I think you need to add in way more vegetables and eat more protein. Check out my blog for more weight and fat loss tips that are based on science and not personal opinions.

inspiredfitchick.com
    I wish you much health on your weight loss journey.
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all of your, for your ideas and encouragement! Printererror and the others: good idea on measuring myself. I've been resistant to this; I've just never taken measurements -- it seemed kind of obsessive -- but your're absolutely right, since I'm getting into exercise, it would be a good way to see the impact of that -- better than weighing. I'll start tomorrow a.m.!

Although I set a goal of 1 lb per week, when MFP suggested a goal of 1200 calories, after I computed my TDEE I saw that it would really only net me .8 lb per week... and now that I've lost some, with my new TDEE it's down to only .54 lb per week. I'm thinking maybe I'll lower my goal to 1100 -- and that will give me incentive to exercise more to earn back more calories.

fitnotphat, thanks for the link to the interesting article. According to one of the studies discussed there, I actually HAVE been eating high protein as they define it (25% protein)! (wahmx3, I never bothered to re-set my macros -- I just use what MFP gave me -- but I always eat more protein then it recommends). Does 25% protein qualify as "high protein"?

It is true that these last couple of weeks I've been a bit higher on the carbs, and definitely lower on the veggies, as some of you point out. I was so much better on fruits & veggies earlier on. Could this be related to the slowdown in weight loss? Hmmm.

I was a bit surprised to hear people referring to me being close to my goal... then I remembered I re-set it to 135; it was originally 130, my longer term goal, and I reset it to make it more doable. Then when I get there I'll change it. So, the plan was to go from 148 to 130 -- 18 lbs -- and I'm not quite half-way there. So it doesn't really "feel" like I'm close. But I know to those of you who have lost or are losing more weight, it probably seems like nothing. It's just that weight fell off so much easier when I was younger! Oh well.

Thanks again, all -- I'm going to stick with this!