Meatless Monday Ideas???

Options
I am a huge devotee of Clean Eating!! I am wanting to eat more of a flexatarian diet (less meat more plant based). I am really wanting to start doing meatless Mondays.... any suggestions on meals that you guys like?? I know some of you have to do meatless Mondays! :) Thanks for any ideas or RECIPES ahead of time! :)

Replies

• melcgelinas
    melcgelinas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had Spaghetti squash??? It is really yummy, high in fiber, easy to cook & inexpensive. I cut mine in 1/2, place is on a broiler pan, with a little bit of water in the bottom. Poke holes in it to let it vent & steam properly. Cook at 325'F for about 25 minutes. Then, once I remove the squash from the peel, I add feta cheese, black olives, diced sauteed red pepper, fresh garlic & pepper. It is so yummy. Check out the recipe (that I adapted to be more diet friendly) below.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=spaghetti squash&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe Hub
  • shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so every night is Meatless Monday for me :) Here's a recipe for quinoa stuffed peppers, which freezes very easily and can be modified according to taste: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/quinoa-stuffed-peppers-2/

The Vegetarian Times website has some great recipes. You might also want to try doing soup and salad...it doesn't sound filling, but it's actually so satisfying!
  • JesicaS82
    JesicaS82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @Melgenlinas... I do like spaghetti squash! I will definitely be trying this recipe out. Thanks so very much for it! If you run across any other good ones, please send them my way :)

@Brittbell01... That recipe looks delicious! I love soups & salads too. I will definitely be checking out that website more often now. Thank you! I would love to eat less meat and eventually go meat free. I run a lot so I need a good mix of protein & carbs and I am just not familiar with how to incorporate enough of each without meat and get enough vitamins & minerals...any suggestions on good reading material or places to go to learn the right way to go vegetarian? Also, are you vegan, ovo-vegetarian or lacto-ovo vegetarian? I would probably still need my dairy and eggs.... any help is appreciated!
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I hosted a vegetarian singer/song writer from the Home Routes concert series last season and I developed this recipe based on a couple that I found on the web:

The Best of the Best Vegetarian Tagine
    4 cups cooked brown lentils
    1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup vegetable stock or water
    1 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
    1 lemon, juiced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cups diced sweet potato (or carrot or pumpkin or butternut squash)
    1/2 cup parsnips, chopped
    1/2 cup cauliflower, chopped
    2 stalks celery, sliced
    1 medium eggplant, chopped into roughly 1 inch cubes (or zucchini)
    1 red pepper, chopped (optional)
    4 sun-dried tomato halves, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
    1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
    3 tablespoons molasses
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    sea salt
    freshly ground pepper
    1 pomegranate, peeled and seeds separated (optional)
    1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
    In the base of a tagine or Dutch oven, combine all but the last 2 ingredients. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 1/2 hours or until the sweet potato is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve with toasted almonds and pomegranate. NOTE: this can also be done in the slow cooker.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have just made a crustless quiche filled with onion, red pepper, chicken, mushrooms and cheese. U cud swap chicken for spinach, and I bet it would b equally delicious!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Quinoa!
    I make a curried quinoa & chickpea salad as well as a Quinoa & black bean salad. These are both tasty and filling.

I also enjoy a spinach salad at lunch.

Today however, I have curried stir fry veggies with basmati rice.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian so all my Mondays are meatless ;-). here's my vege chili recipe:

2 Green Peppers
    2 Red Peppers
    2 Jalapeño Peppers
    Onion Powder
    Garlic Powder
    Two cans of black beans
    Two cans of Kidney beans
    Two cans of chunked tomatoes
    Chili Powder (lots)
    Oregano
    Onion Powder
    Garlic Powder
    1 block of Tofu
    Franks Red Hot Sauce
    Jalapeño Pepper Hot Sauce
    Crushed Red Pepper

I usually add the spices and hot sauce to taste, so I don't have amounts.
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm veggie too so meatless every day! Tonight I'm making paella - cook paella rice in stock with garlic, onion and saffron. Fry loads of veg in spray oil (broad beans, courgettes, tomatoes and chard for me tonight) then stir in to rice with lots of chopped flatleaf parsley and a good squeeze of a lemon. Yum!
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Burritos's. YUM!

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    6 cups canned kidney beans, drained
    2 cups water
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    4 teaspoons prepared mustard
    1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
    12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
    8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
    Directions
    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2.Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm. Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce.
    3.Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style, and place on a baking sheet.
    4.Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I think the easiest is spaghetti...you can cube and fry up extra firm tofu if you are brave (fry it in olive or sesame oil with oregano and garlic to impart flavor), but you can also stick to just adding a ton of vegetables to your sauce instead of meat...yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, onions, peppers, turnips, beets...the list goes on and on and on...
  • celb500
    celb500 Posts: 76
    Options
    I got this recipe from the internet but it is amazing with salad - you feel like you're having a treat because it is cheesy but it is only 140 calories per serving!! Plus i love how flavourful it is, added to a big leafy salad it is a yummy dinner!!

LIGHT AND SPICY SCALLOPED SWEET POTATOES

3 large sweet potatoes (5" long), peeled if not organic
    1 large white onion
    3 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    3/4 cup (6 ounces) skim milk
    1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar
    1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Slice the sweet potatoes and onions as thinly as possible. Chop the garlic. (Tip: I put them all through the food processor using the slicing blade.)
    Spray a 9"x13" casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer on half of the sweet potatoes, then sprinkle on a third of the spices. Layer on the onions and garlic, followed by a third of the spices. Finally, layer on the rest of the sweet potatoes and the remaining spices. Pour on the milk, sprinkle on the hot sauce and top the casserole with the cheese.
    Bake, covered, for 20 minutes, then remove the lid for another10 minutes. The vegetables should be tender, and the cheese should be starting to brown.
    Make six 1-cup servings.

Number of Servings: 6
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I thought Fridays was the meatless day. hmm.....
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    We ate vegetarian for a couple of years, my oldest son & wife are vegetarians; daughter's boyfriend is vegetarian. These are some recipes that were very popular with the family, some might not be very calories-careful so you might need to juggle with ingredients a bit? (I am Australian so these might have unfamiliar ingredients).

The variety you can get is amazing :smile:

***************************************************************************************************************************************
    African Beans

This recipe is particularly quick because black-eyed beans cook faster than most other beans. The sauce, based on tomato and coconut cream, is unusual and colourful. Can use canned black eyed beans, add vegetables, garlic etc if you like.

Serves 4-5 main course

1 ½ cups of dry black-eyed beans
    2 medium sized onions, chopped
    2 tablespns oil
    135g tomato paste (1 small can)
    410 g can of coconut cream
    2 teaspns paprika (smokey if you have it)
    ½ teaspn chilli powder to taste
    ½ teaspn cumin powder
    2 teaspns sugar
    1 teaspn salt
    Black pepper to taste

Prepare & cook beans as per instructions on packet (or use canned black eyed beans).
    (Soak covered in water 6-8 hrs then simmer 20-30 mins; or just boil 45 mins. Any soaking is going to be better than none).

Sauté onions in oil until soft and clear.
    Add all other ingredients, simmering & stirring until they form a smooth creamy sauce.
    Combine with cooked beans, heath through.
    Even better if left to stand and reheated.
    Serve on rice, with mixed green salad.

From Meals without Meat by Alison & Simon Holst

***************************************************************************************************************************************
    PUMPKIN SPINACH & FETA PIE

Serves 6-8; Prep 10 mins; Cook 55 mins

800g pumpkin (butternut or jap)
    ½ x 250g packet frozen spinach or two-three handfuls of fresh baby spinach
    2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
    1 tablspn olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    ¼ cup / 1 sachet tomato paste
    1 tsp dried mixed herbs
    Salt & pepper to taste
    100g Danish feta, crumbled
    Fresh basil leaves, sun dried tomatoes, olives – to garnish

Peel pumpkin and chop into roughly 2cm cubes. Microwave (boil or steam) until almost tender. Drain well.
    Meanwhile, grease 24cm loose based flan tin. Place on an oven tray. Preheat oven to 190oC.
    Lift thawed pastry into tin, covering base and sides and allowing excess to drape over edges.
    Heat oil, gently cook onion and garlic until soft.
    Stir in tomato paste, mixed herbs. Stir in baby spinach, cook until wilted.
    Stir in pumpkin cubes, add salt and ground black pepper, stir gently until all mixed and coated.
    Spoon warm mixture into prepared pastry. Fold excess edged back over filling.
    Cook in a moderately hot oven 190oC for 25 mins.
    Crumble feta over top, distributing evenly, tucking some under pastry folds.
    Cook for a further 25-30 mins until pastry is golden brown.
    Serve garnished with basil etc.

Serves more like 4-6 as a main meal.

VEGETABLE CASSEROLE WITH CHEESE & CHIVE DUMPLINGS
    25 g butter & 1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 onions, peeled & sliced
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
    2 carrots peeled and sliced
    Chunk of pumpkin, peeled and cubed
    4 stalks celery, scrubbed and sliced
    1 potato, peeled and cubed
    2 tablespoons paprika, ground black pepper
    100g cooked red kidney beans or chick peas (or 1 can, drained)
    300ml stock
    500 ml milk
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoons cornflour

Dumplings
    150 g plain flour + 1 teaspoon baking powder OR
    150g SR flour
    1 teaspoon of mustard powder
    2 tablespoons chopped chives
    30g butter
    ¾ cup, 75 g grated cheese
    1 egg, beaten
    2-3 tablespoons milk

OR
    SEE ALTERNATIVE DUMPLINGS RECIPE

Melt butter & oil, fry onions, garlic until soft.
    Add carrots, celery, pumpkin, potato, stir in.
    Add paprika, fry all 5 mins on moderate heat.
    Add beans, stock, tomato paste, ground black pepper, and almost all of the milk (reserve some to mix with cornflour).
    Stir well, bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer 30 mins.
    Blend cornflour with remaining milk, stir into vegetables.
    Stir until thickened.
    Pour into ovenproof dish, top with dumplings, sprinkle over remaining cheese. Bake 20 mins at 200oC until dumplings cooked through.

Dumplings:
    Rub butter into flour, stir thru ½ cup cheese, chives. Add egg and milk to make soft consistency.
    Roll into golf ball size – made 12.
    (Original recipe was for a pastry, to roll out & cut rounds, but I added all the milk and it went more like dumplings?)

ALTERNATIVE DUMPLING RECIPE
    Dumplings

1 and a half cups SR flour
    2 tbs fresh chopped herbs
    2 tbs butter
    300 mls milk
    2 tbs grated cheese

Rub butter into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs, add cheese, herbs and mix to soft dough with milk.

Drop spoonfuls onto casserole and bake in oven 180 degrees until dumplings are cooked through.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Eggplant parm for one. Oh and you can use a large mushroom cap in place of a burger patty. It's good with fresh mozzarella and a homemade pesto sauce and spinach leaves on top. The recipe is below:

Recipe by Rachael Ray from "The Book of Burger" (Atria Books).

INGREDIENTS

For the spinach pesto

2 packed cups baby spinach

1/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted

1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

1 clove garlic, grated or pasted

A few grates of nutmeg

Kosher salt and pepper

1/4 to 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

For the portobello caps

4 large portobello mushroom caps

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary

1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced

4 crusty rolls, split

Baby spinach leaves

Thinly sliced red onions

INSTRUCTIONS

Make the spinach pesto: Place the spinach in a food processor with the walnuts, cheese, garlic and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper. Turn on the processor and stream in enough olive oil to form a thick pesto.

Make the portobellos: Brush the portobello caps with a damp towel to clean them. In a large plastic food storage bag, combine the olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and rosemary. Add the mushroom caps and slosh around to coat with seasonings.

Heat a grill pan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Shake the marinade off the mushrooms and cook the caps, turning once, 10 to 12 minutes, or until well browned on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Top the caps with the mozzarella, remove the pan from the heat, and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes to melt cheese.

Place the mushrooms on the roll bottoms and top with pesto, a mound of baby spinach, and a few slices of red onion. Set the roll tops in place.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite vegan blog.
    http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I love these:

http://annies-eats.com/2010/03/05/baked-southwestern-egg-rolls/

I modify the recipe to use fresh spinach and less cheese. So yummy!!
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    On Friday night I made quinoa stuffed bell peppers for my family of meat eaters and they were a huge hit. I'll definitely be making them again. I used fresh kale instead of frozen spinach and topped them with nutritional yeast. So yummy and worth the effort.

Here is the recipe: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/quinoa-stuffed-peppers-2/
  • pinkakira1
    pinkakira1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Black-Bean-Tortilla-Casserole

This is a good one. I made it for my husband and didn't tell him that it was meatless and he was none the wiser! He was so impressed with it he brought some to his mothers house.

I made some changes... made it with blue corn flax seed tortillas, no olives because yuck, added some taco seasoning, fried the veggies a little before mixxing them, also put on the side some shredded lettuce and fat free sour cream! an avacado would be yummy too.