JM 30Dshred lvl1 d2 and already sore

Options
I know I'm a big girl so this workout is really tough on me, haven't made it through the whole thing as of yet. I do modify the modified stuff to ease myself into it. But today my upper legs/thighs have been killing me all night. I told myself I want to do this 5 days a week, on my boyfriend's work days so I have him out of the house when I work out. :).

Guess I am looking for encouragement and to hear that this does get easier, even for a big person. I want to push through this and remember, no pain no gain(or lose in this situation).

It's just muscle aches as I'm not used to it, so I know I'm not about to injure myself, but man I'm not used to hurting!

Replies

• hollieam92
    hollieam92 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do feel your pain, ive never got further than d3 but I am starting again today. Trust me it will be worth it, looking at success pics has made me realise I can do it! It is possible if you want to do it enough! I am dreading it ha! Stick to it! :flowerforyou:
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If your sore - that's good, a good pain. It means you worked those muscles hard! and that's good isn't it!!! Drink plenty of water and take a couple of pain relief and stretch plenty. And YES it will get easier if you stick with it, your muscles will get used to the workouts so inevitably you will have to push yourself more, but this will come in time. Modification is fine (I'm still unable to do a push up - so i go on my knees and push up) but as long as your doing something.

Good luck. x
  • Peeriegemgem
    Options
    I hate to sound very Jillian esque... (I'm a bit of a fanatic!) but a bit of ouch and tightness (clearly not total pain, in which case, please stop!) is your body changing. You don't get results with absolutely no pain or twinging, else what would the point be? Focus on the reasons you are doing it, and don't give up. If you are struggling with the dvd, do the modified moves, i.e. static lunges - I'll warn you as the dvd progresses, it gets more plyometrics and jumpy - but work into it. You'll soon find by Day 10 of each level that it is so much easier than you ever thought.

Good luck!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I had trouble the first few days with soreness too, but as you get used to the workout you can push yourself harder and notice that you are improving.
    I am really uncoordinated, level 2 is presenting some stability challenges lol.
  • gemmalianne84
    Options
    I'm on Day 10, so last day of level 1. It is hard in the beginning and I was barely able to more after day 2 but if you push through it, it actually gets easier. You still get a sweat on but you recover quicker. Bring on level 2 :)
  • Elandri
    Elandri Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I plan to do it again tomorrow as planned. And you are right, it is a good sore! Just haven't had sore muscles in years, so yay! (Feels silly to be excited about pain, heh, but I am.) At least I know all that sweating is doing something!
  • Hermia76
    Hermia76 Posts: 34
    Options
    I hear ya! That soreness passes after about day 3. Just make sure you are stretching (more than the warm up).

I'm not particularly big but I noticed I felt different in my waist by about day 5 so I think you should too.

There's no shame in doing the modified moves. I did. It's better than not doing it at all but when you feel a bit more able, do push yourself.

To the person who said Level 2 was hard....I've just done L2 Day 1. I feel like I'm going to die. I'm scared I won't stay motivated as it's just so hard. :sad:
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    To the person who said Level 2 was hard....I've just done L2 Day 1. I feel like I'm going to die. I'm scared I won't stay motivated as it's just so hard. :sad:

I'm on Level 2, just completed day 3. After the 1st day I was so sore... I had to force myself to do the second day, but I'm glad I did, because now at Day 3 I'm not so sore any more. So things can only get better :happy:
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hermia, add me if you want - perhaps we can motivate each other through Level 2 and 3
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Day 2 was definitely for me...I just pushed through it and was amazed at how quickly I eased into the routine. Keep it up, :)
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it! I've done the whole thing and it does get "easier" and you hurt less- but be prepared to hurt every time you move on to the next level.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 6 of level 2 - I found that by day 10 of level 1 I wasn't so sore anymore, but just as you think you've cracked it, you move up to level 2 and it gets hard again!! I guess this is the point, as you really start to push yourself and it does get results. I found the levels getting easier a few days in, so I switched to heavier weights to carry on the good burn!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I found that the first 3 or 4 days were the worst and then it was manageable, that was for every level though! You just get the hang of one and then the next makes you hurt again. I found too that the aches and pains would move around, the first few days of level one was my legs, then it moved to my arms and so on. Do keep going!! It does amazing things and once you are finished try going back and doing level 1 again - it is amazing how easy it seems after having done the whole 30 days.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    yep, experienced the same. After two days I had to have a break! I am still on level one but managing it a lot better now. Keep going you can do it!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yep...I was sore after the first day!!! still am on day 8....but its working if your sore!!! totally worth it, lost 1.8 pounds so far, and def lost inches because my clothes are feeling better , cannot wait until day 30 to take my measurements!!:bigsmile:
  • ktlynn447
    ktlynn447 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to do level 1 day 3 today... I was so sore after day 1... muscles that I never knew existed hurt... its only 25 minutes... you can do it!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 6 of level 2 - I found that by day 10 of level 1 I wasn't so sore anymore, but just as you think you've cracked it, you move up to level 2 and it gets hard again!! I guess this is the point, as you really start to push yourself and it does get results. I found the levels getting easier a few days in, so I switched to heavier weights to carry on the good burn!

this ^^^^^^
  • richardson260
    richardson260 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    stumbled across these comments. What routine are you guys doing and how do i find it?
  • everlastingdream
    Options
    Just finished day two of level one..the burn was pretty intense in the lunges but I feel great for doing it! :D
    stumbled across these comments. What routine are you guys doing and how do i find it?

We're talking about Jillian Michaels' 30-day shred, I'm using the youtube upload of the dvds :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8 The gist is you do 10 days of level one, 10 days level two and then 10 days of level three! :)
  • Elandri
    Elandri Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well I took a day off yesterday because my leg muscles were still so sore that just getting up and down hurt. (I did go for a walk with my dog for a little bit though) I was kind of afraid I'd injure myself and since I'm so big figured a day of rest was needed.

Today I was still a little sore but I pushed myself and turned the video on again. Did pretty well and this time I relaxed a bit afterwards, drinking some water for about 15 mins. Then I hit the bath and took a nice hot bath then cooler shower to wash up. Oh my goodness I felt sooo much better. Here is hoping I'm not sore again tomorrow. XD