Any bicyclists?

Options
Just started bicycling. Very new.. wanting to go farther for distance before taking breaks. Is there anyone that would be willing to give me a pointer or two. My husband and I are doing this together and looking forward to a goal of 15 miles. We are now making 2 miles with the stopping getting fewer and fewer. Would love to talk to experienced and inexperienced riders. Wanting to know some appropriate stretches and possibly some foods to eat (other than bananas) that will help with the leg aches. Also any input on the type of bikes we should be looking at? We are now riding (since we did not know if we would like it and so forth) bikes from walmart with a new seat. Thank you in advance for any input!

Lisa Marie

Replies

• daniellisa421
    Options
    Thank you!
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the cycling plunge. Be warned - you are at the top of a very expensive and slippery slope because cycling is so much fun that you will soon suffer from upgraditis, a common condition whereby cyclists feel the irresistible urge to upgrade their bike and associated gear.

BTW - I started out where you are and now find that anything less than 50km (31 miles) is barely a warm up.

Enjoy:laugh:
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the cycling plunge. Be warned - you are at the top of a very expensive and slippery slope because cycling is so much fun that you will soon suffer from upgraditis, a common condition whereby cyclists feel the irresistible urge to upgrade their bike and associated gear.

BTW - I started out where you are and now find that anything less than 50km (31 miles) is barely a warm up.

I have that.
    :hidesheadinshame:
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

N+1. First I had an aluminum road bike. Then I upgraded to a carbon road bike with better components...and then a cyclocross bike (that's in my avatar)...and then an entry-level mountain bike that is too small for me...and now a MUCH better and properly fit mountain bike is on order and I already have my sights set on a fat bike. *sigh*

But it beats running (which I still do for cross training) and it's quality time spent with my hubby and kid. Priceless.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Suffering from a terrible case of it... Went and did 140 miles in five days... I can totally see why someone would pay 100$+ for a seat...

My advice to the op... When I started it took me forever... And I was slow and stopped frequently (like six times a mile)... Now I average five minute miles (on flat surfaces... More like ten mountain biking)

1) get something to track your rides... Sometimes I just use my watch... But mainly I use cardiotrainer an ap on my phone... I make it a game with myself.. Ok last time I stopped five times in a mile this time I'll stop four... Last time it was a twelve min mile this time 11.5...last time I did two miles total this time 2.5...etc make it a game...

2) drink water... I got a platypus hydration system... (google it I'm on my phone and links are hard)... 75% of my stopping was for drinking... Not I just reach down and sip...

3) make sure your bike fits you and is adjusted to be comfortable... Once I found the perfect seat height I was able to improve form and increase speed)

4) make sure your bike is well maintained and tires properly inflated... Helps with fatigue and speed..

I'm sure there are others with pointers... these are things I wish people had told me when I started... I'm not sure about exercises because I do a lot of hiking and rock climbing (bouldering) so my workouts ares geared towards increasing that stamina :)

Have fun!
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Welcome home buddy!