STILL can't lose the gut! Help!

Options
I'm not exactly fat and I'm not gunna sit on here and whinge like a barbie about it. But I am a fitness fanatic and I have a goal, and that goal is to lose the "beer gut", for lack of better term. My waist at the narrowest point is 32" but around my navel is 36".. I want this to be the same as my narrowest point and to get some abs. I am currently fluxuating between 128 and 130 lbs.

I'm on the keto diet - no more than 50g carbs per day, and I'm getting my calories from protein and healthy fats.. I have about 1450 cals per day.

I do interval running for 25 mins 3 times per week. I do weights for 40 mins, 3 times per week. I'm not exhausted or run-down, I don't find this regime too much for me at all.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've lost 4-6 lbs so far but nothing seems to shift from the gut.. my arms and legs are skinny with SOME muscle tone.. but nothing seems to happen with the gut..

Help? Please?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    losing bodyfat, as opposed to just losing weight, is a slooooooooow process, and as a woman we are designed to have that extra bit of fat on our stomachs! thats not to say it isnt doable, you just need to keep working at it and be patient!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You only have 10 pounds to lose... so it's going to take a while.

Also, for all that work you are doing, you could prob. stand to eat more then 1450 a day and prob. could use a bit more carbs.. I'd drop the loss down to half a pound a week and see what happens.
  • RKAY89
    RKAY89 Posts: 45
    Options
    I feared that :( lol so.. how long are we talkin? If I keep this up 6.5 days per week (I deserve one cheat meal per week I think lol!) obv everyone is different but ya know.. roughly/generally? I think I'm about 26% bodyfat, would like to get to 18% eventually.. but right now, losing 2% would be immense lol
  • wheels5894
    wheels5894 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Same problem here - the roll of fat around the navel level. My problem maybe worse, though, as the underlying muscles as paralyzed (MS) so I can'r do the sort of exercise that might help. that said, the dieting has reduced quite a bit of my 'gut' so things are improving,.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I do interval running for 25 mins 3 times per week. I do weights for 40 mins, 3 times per week. I'm not exhausted or run-down, I don't find this regime too much for me at all.

work harder. push your limits.

i like the interval runs. keep those up. for an incredibly efficient work out, do hill repeats. sprint up a hill, walk back down it. do this 5-6 times.

as far as weights, what kind of weights are you doing and using?? i recommend lifting heavy, using barbells, and concentrating on doing dead lifts and squats.
  • evademers
    Options
    Like I have been explained to on a similar post I wrote your body will take off fat and tone up where it wants to first, stomach is usually last for us women. I have the same problem I have been working out going on 3 months and still have alot of work to do on my tummy but i am seeing some slow changes as for my legs behind and back are shaping up faster. Hang in there girl youll get there!!!
  • dad106
    Options
    I feared that :( lol so.. how long are we talkin? If I keep this up 6.5 days per week (I deserve one cheat meal per week I think lol!) obv everyone is different but ya know.. roughly/generally? I think I'm about 26% bodyfat, would like to get to 18% eventually.. but right now, losing 2% would be immense lol

No one can tell you how long... I've been at this a year and a half roughly, and I'm still working on my body.

You just have to keep plugging away until it happens.

Also 80/20 rule... eat good 80% of the time and the other 20% do what you want.
  • mushy2
    mushy2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    can you do sit ups or crunches, that is supposed to help, i cant do it as i have a bad back!
  • RKAY89
    Options

i like the interval runs. keep those up. for an incredibly efficient work out, do hill repeats. sprint up a hill, walk back down it. do this 5-6 times.

as far as weights, what kind of weights are you doing and using?? i recommend lifting heavy, using barbells, and concentrating on doing dead lifts and squats.

Yeah the interval runs deffo beat just straight-out runnin, so much harder.. will get a bit better at ordinary interval and then will give those hills runs a go, I heard about them the other day from a guy in work..

I do a 3-day split.. back, biceps and traps... chest shoulders and triceps... legs, bum, lower back.... doin all the deadliftin etc but I set out to do 3 sets of 15 reps.. but everyone's sayin to lift heavy.. so should I reduce my reps to like 8 or something?

• RKAY89
    Options
    Like I have been explained to on a similar post I wrote your body will take off fat and tone up where it wants to first, stomach is usually last for us women. I have the same problem I have been working out going on 3 months and still have alot of work to do on my tummy but i am seeing some slow changes as for my legs behind and back are shaping up faster. Hang in there girl youll get there!!!

Yeah I thought you could just "spot-reduce" on fat but unfortunately it just comes off where it wants :( I deffo see more muscles appearing on my legs, a very tiny amount on my arms.. but nothing at all so far on my tummy.. and I just keep thinkin.. am I doin this right?! Thanks, needed a little "hang in there" :)
  • susiebear29
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from!! I have lost 27lbs total and am around 13% body fat (I have no boobs or bum unfortunately!!!! :sad: ) but I STILL have a flabby tummy and I just can't shift it!!!! I do circuit training, running, cycling and 30 day shred and it still won't go!!!! sometimes being a woman SUCKS!!!! however compared to what it was before it's way nicer and I think if you keep at it and continue your cardio and strength training you will see an improvement, it just takes time im afraid!!! keep at it and good luck!!!! :smile:
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Yeah I thought you could just "spot-reduce" on fat but unfortunately it just comes off where it wants :( I deffo see more muscles appearing on my legs, a very tiny amount on my arms.. but nothing at all so far on my tummy.. and I just keep thinkin.. am I doin this right?! Thanks, needed a little "hang in there" :)

I'll contribute another "Hang in there!" to encourage you. You've received a few excellent responses and suggestions so take them to heart. You're doing well! Keep at it, push harder, and lift heavier. 16 weeks passed before most of my belly fat melted off, and it did so visibly after I started lifting. I kept my macros at 40% Carb | 30% Protein | 30% Fat and my sodium at/under 2200 mg. But my body is still a work in progress. Every day I see room for improvement and this fuels me.

My example is purely anecdotal since everyone's body works differently, as it has already been pointed out. Just don't give up! Health and fitness take time to build. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options

And if your 20% shows no respect for the progress of the 80%, expect 100% bad results.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Yeah the interval runs deffo beat just straight-out runnin, so much harder.. will get a bit better at ordinary interval and then will give those hills runs a go, I heard about them the other day from a guy in work..

I do a 3-day split.. back, biceps and traps... chest shoulders and triceps... legs, bum, lower back.... doin all the deadliftin etc but I set out to do 3 sets of 15 reps.. but everyone's sayin to lift heavy.. so should I reduce my reps to like 8 or something?

Strstd.com

Enjoy.
  • dad106
    Options

And if your 20% shows no respect for the progress of the 80%, expect 100% bad results.

Right.. tell that to my 31 pounds(and counting), 6 sizes and 6% body fat loss.

I eat good 80% of the time.. and 20% of the time, I eat what I want. A lot of others on my friends list follow that rule too and have done just as well as I have.

It's a lifestyle change.. and life is not perfect. Gotta find a balance somewhere.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My waist at the narrowest point is 32" but around my navel is 36".. I want this to be the same as my narrowest point and to get some abs.

Is that even possible? I don't know anyone who has the same measurement at the navel as the natural waist. That's what makes the natural waist the natural waist... it's the smallest part of the torso.
  • astrojunky
    Options
    Things i have been repeatedly told over the years.

We all have a six pack, it's the fat over it that stops it from being shown. So working harder at stomach exercise is not necessarily going to reduce your fat in that area, it's only going to strengthen your stomach muscles. You need to reduce your body fat overall, as you stated you would like to be at 18%.
    I'm no sure what the ideal % body fat is for looking lean all over but someone on here will know, i bet it is different for everyone though.

Long steady cardio improves stamina, Interval cardio improves fat burn and fitness levels. you do get some fat burn with long steady cardio but the effect is better with interval training.

If you want more muscle definition do not get too hooked up on bigger weights ( you might actually cause an injury). Your main aim for lean muscle growth is to FAIL before you complete your goal sets and reps. This can either be achieved by upping your weights your lifting or by increasing your reps. i.e 3x 12 reps at 10kg, if you complete all the sets and reps either increase your reps by 1 or 2 for each set or increase your weigh by the lowest amount you can. Repeat until you complete all sets and reps without failing, then rinse and repeat the increase in reps or weight.

Different trainers have told me these things over the years, so some of it must make sense.
  • sjweld
    sjweld Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00278FS8M/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
    A week and a half and I can seriously tell the difference! I have been at my "goal" weight for several months now but that gut still stuck out there. I got this DVD because I do a lot of walking and winter is coming. I needed an alternative to outdoor walking. You have the option of doing 1,2 or 3 miles (or hit repeat and keep going). So far I've been doing the first 2 miles as I'm still getting all my outdoor walks in.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Same problem here - the roll of fat around the navel level. My problem maybe worse, though, as the underlying muscles as paralyzed (MS) so I can'r do the sort of exercise that might help. that said, the dieting has reduced quite a bit of my 'gut' so things are improving,.

I have similar issue I've been wheelchair user for 7 years. I'm not paralysed but have issues with motor co-ordination so can't keep my balance stood up, so consequently have to do everything from sitting.

I heard there was a term known as 'Quad belly' where wheelchair users often get the 'beer belly' due to those muscles not getting used as much as we are no longer doing sit to stand frequently and having to keep our balance upright, even if those muscles aren't actually paralysed.

I've got my waist down to 30" (38" last year) and around tummy to 33" (48" last year) I'd like to get tummy to 30 " too but dunno if it will be possible. I do loads of core training on floor but still it's been last area to respond and I've been at it at this intensity for the last year.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Oh 'm with you on this. Been working out really hard past 8 mths, and the little round tummy (gut you called it) is not coming off faster than the bum and thigh and arms. And that is exactly what I wanna to get rid of. I've upped my activity this past 2 months, by targeting to run 5km within 30 mins, once a week, elliptical with 3-5 level of resistance 2x a week for 45 mins, and weights for 45 mins 3 times a week, adding abs and core exercises after these exercises. So, still waiting to see better results. As many said, women are made this way....so jealous of those who have super flat tummy.....