calories burned question

Options
ok. so i went to the please touch museum in philly today and we were there for 4 1/2 hrs. and then we went to ikea for 30 mins and i converted the hours to mins and got 270 mins (took out time that we sat and ate lunch) and i pluged in that 270 mins of walking, and got 1158 calories burned...does that seem right? it just seems very high. i even put it in as "slow pace" bc we weren't doing power walking...we did do a lot of steps and kept going up and down the ramps...does anyone have any input???

Replies

• pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing for my holiday shopping days and also got a very large number. It might be correct but I think I thought it was too high because i didn't break a sweat. I guess I equate calorie burning by the amount of sweat.
  • mrspalmer320
    Options
    yeah it does sound off but it is right. i cleaned house for about 6 hours and that is 360 mins. so that turned out to be about 840 calories. i couldnt believe so i plugged the numbers in again and turns out thats how much i burned. the intensity of my cleaning was at a mild to moderate pace.
  • AmmieSue
    AmmieSue Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    that does sound right, but I guess it depends on if you consider this kind of stuff to be "everyday" activities?
  • bettyvodine
    Options
    I wonder about this kind of thing as well - when I'm on the treadmill for 30 minutes, the machine tells me I burned about 175-200 calories, but when I punch it in here, it says over 600...I don't know what to believe, so I usually just enter a time less than what I really did.
  • smithiekat
    smithiekat Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    that does sound right, but I guess it depends on if you consider this kind of stuff to be "everyday" activities?

if it was something you were doing *before* your lifestyle change as well, it probably wasn't working and you're probably better off *not* counting it