30g Of Muesli

Options
Hello :D

im a huge fan of Muesli and fat free natural yoghurt for breakfast or lunch.

For the yoghurt i have approx 4-5 table spoons
and for the Muesli approx 4-5 table spoons also.

im just wondering though how many table spoons is 30g?

the muesli i have is harvest morn luxury fruit

thankyou :D xx

Replies

• verydizzy_di
    verydizzy_di Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To be honest the best thing I bought were a set of scales! I discovered my morning muesli weighed around 125 g..........
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    The best thing I could ever buy for accuracy in my kitchen was a food scale. It's hard to guess with spoons.
  • susiebear29
    Options
    yes get some scales!!! it's the most accurate way!!! :smile:
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without actually weighing/measuring - depends on density of that exact museli.

Most sources say 3 level tablespoons = 50g approx or 2 level tablespoons = 30g approx.
    Either way it's safe to estimate that 1 tablespoon is about 15g of most "heavy" museli.

So 30g = TWO tablespoons.

You're probably eating 60g.
  • FitspoEm
    FitspoEm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    ah ok thankyou im fine with 60g :D
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    To be honest the best thing I bought were a set of scales! I discovered my morning muesli weighed around 125 g..........

Scary huh? That's why I avoid it...a 30g portion is absolutely measly. Now I can hardly believe I was eating 700 cal of museli for breakfast every morning!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Yep, scales are defo the way to go - couldn't believe how much my 1 bowl of cereal used to weigh!!

If it helps, I've just weighed 5tbs (heaped) of porridge oats (I don't have muesli) and that weighed almost 50g
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    People aren't trying to avoid your question by saying you should get a food scale.

Muesli is a perfect example of why you need one! It's irregularly shaped, so 30g of muesli could be a different volume (tablespoon) every time you go into the box.

Think of it this way:

If you measured two tablespoons of sugar, but one day it was granulated sugar, one day it was powdered sugar and one day it was sugar cubes, you'd have wildly different weights for those two tablespoons because the shape is different.

A food scale is worth the cost.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Before I started measuring, I probably ate 5 servings of oatmeal everyday, maybe more. I just filled the bowl. Lol. A kitchen Scale is vital if you're trying to practice portion control.
  • FitspoEm
    FitspoEm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    thankyou everyone :D
  • ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Seriously get a kitchen scale. They can be found on Amazon for under $10 for a fairly accurate one. Look for ones that are accurate to the single gram. A Tablespoon is a measurement of volume. A gram is a measurement of weight. They are not interchangeable.

For example:
    A Tablespoon of water weighs 14 grams.
    A Tablespoon of table salt weight 18.25 grams.
    A Tablespoon of black hole material weighs more than the Earth.

I use my kitchen scale for everything, so for dollars per use it is by far the best value item in my kitchen.