Oatmeal and almond milk?

Options
I love my oatmeal with bananas in the morning and was trying to healthy it up a bit by using almond milk but unfortuantely it was an epic fail. I used the same method as regular milk - 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup 1% milk, microwave for 3 minutes - and it didn't work at all. It's like the oats just didn't soak it in like the regular milk. Has anyone used this method successfully? Do I need to do something different?

Thanks!

Replies

• Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup quick oats, banana, stevia and cinnamon with 1 cup of water. Cook for 1 1/2- 2 minutes in the microwave and then when it is done, I mix in about 1/4 cup almond milk
  • spatel22
    spatel22 Posts: 13
    Options
    I always have oats with almond milk, its delicious! I dont really measure how many oats and almond milk I use but i do half almond milk half water and make it on the hob. I have twice as much liquid as oats. Maybe try it on the hob?
  • carlyhawks05
    carlyhawks05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use steel cut oats and cook the night before w/ vanilla almond milk, apples chunks, and almond slices. My husband loves it and will eat it all week!
  • GoalSixPack
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup quick oats, banana, stevia and cinnamon with 1 cup of water. Cook for 1 1/2- 2 minutes in the microwave and then when it is done, I mix in about 1/4 cup almond milk

I do almost the samething and it turns out great.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I always have my rolled oats and almond milk (equal parts) with a little truvia and cinnamon. You can eat them right away, or let them soak overnight together in the fridge. I don't heat mine up though.
  • michwinger
    michwinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options

yep, this is how I do it...cook the oats with water first (just enough that the oats soak it all up) then add the almond milk to desired consistency.
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Almond milk with oatmeal is very tasty. It just takes longer to cook. I put it in for 2 minutes and the add 30 seconds on till the consistency is what I like.
    Add some more time and see what happens.
  • Hssh1988
    Hssh1988 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    50g oats (rolled, not totally mulched) to 200ml liquid. Add 150ml to begin, the remaining once cooked to loosen.
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    We eat oatmeal every morning. It's the stove-top stuff and we each eat about 2 cups cooked. We eat it with 1/4 cup of berries, 1/2 cup almond milk and a bit of slivered almonds and pumpkin seeds.
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    We have oatmeal with almond milk once or twice weekly. I use the old fashioned oats. I measure out 1/2 water to 1/2 almond milk vanilla, bring to boil, then I add my oatmeal and cook for 5 minutes. However, last time around my husband did the shopping and he purchased the 'cooks in one minute' oatmeal and it turned out fine too. We both love having almond milk vanilla in our oatmeal and also in our grits.
  • sionnain
    sionnain Posts: 96
    Options
    The other day I made oatmeal like this - 40 grams (about 1/2 a cup) of old fashioned quick oats, and 5 oz of almond milk. I microwaved this for about 4-5 minutes.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I was on a kick where this was my go to breakfast for a couple of months. I put half a cup of oats with a cup of almond milk and nuked it for 2-3 minutes, then added cinnamon and stevia. As far as it not working for you, a few possible reasons come to mind:

1. The oats - you are using instant or quick cooking oats?
    2. The almond milk - I am wondering if different brands cook differently. I always use unsweetened vanilla almond breeze.
    3. The banana - I never tried adding banana before I cooked it. Maybe the banana is coating the grains and delaying the absorption of the liquid?
    4. Time - It is possible that your oatmeal needs a little longer to cook if you prepare it this way than if you prepare it how you normally do. Is the result you got something that might be helped by a little longer cooking time?

That's all I got. Let us know if you solve the mystery :-)
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

I do almost the samething and it turns out great.

This is what I do also, only no sweeteners & I vary the fruit. Always turns out great.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have 40g oats, 1 scoop of strawberry protein powder and 100ml of coconut milk- mix it all up and it's really creamy. I don't cook it though, just have it as it comes.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I never thought about adding the almond milk afterwards, that's a good idea!

@jrfrog123 - It's not instant oats, it's definitely the stuff you have to cook. I have it a few times a week and it also works fine with regular milk. As for the banana, I add that after cooking. Although maybe adding it before would help when they aren't quite ripe enough yet. :)

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm definitely going to try them.
  • HelloKittyXDXD
    Options
    It works. I do 1 part oatmeal, 1 part water, and one part almond milk. When it's done, I add some slivered almonds, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and it is one of the most filling, healthy foods I know of. I can normally polish off a HUGE bowl of oatmeal, two clementines, and a slice of toast with nutella, but when I make the oatmeal with almond milk and almonds I am stuffed before I finish a proper serving size.