Do you eat your exercise calories earned?

Options

Replies

• Hoffa299
    Options
    No Sweetheart,
    do not do that if you do, its like exercising for nothing. You should eat your calculated calories for the day only,
    meaning what your body would burn without any exercise. then workout to reduce that counting daily calories. Exc; My natural calorie daily is 2140, so I eat 2140 exercise 1400 calories. This gives me -740 for the day, not bad. Aprox. 3500 calories to a pound of fat. On a five day workout week I've been losing around 1.5lbs per week. Hope this all helps.
  • razors_girl23
    razors_girl23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I actually don't! In my PERSONAL opinion (no attacks please) I don't see the point in working hard to burn off what you've eaten, only to eat it all back again. I want to lose weight healthily, yes, but also quickly. I don't want to be even-stevens about it.

It's not even-stevens though, because by coming on here and having a set calorie goal to lose weight, even if you add exercise and eat those calories back, your net calories are still at the level for weight loss.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat them, and saw decent results...

Now I definitely eat them--my lifestyle has become more "active" I guess you could say. I bike to and from work each day (6.4 miles total) and usually run, swim, or walk or something as well--I kept my activity level at "sedentary" and log the biking and the other cardio and eat ALL of those babies back. I wasn't planning on it at first, but I got so hungry!
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I eat them back to a point. My BMR + Exercise = 2500 - 3500 calories any given day. I try to eat at least 2000 calories for the day.
    and I'm happy with a caloric deficit anywhere from 500 - 1500. The 1500 calorie deficit may be too big if I did that many days in a row but I don't. Plus with not so healthy eating during the weekends, it all evens out.
    This question gets asked quite often and people (or the internet as they like to call themselves when being rude) jump on the thread to insult and call names. I'm glad all of the people here just answered the question :happy:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    General consensus is: Do it.

It never works for me. I'm not finding any experts that really advocate it (unless you're trying to put on weight.)
    So. No.
    Not unless I want to gain weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I actually don't! In my PERSONAL opinion (no attacks please) I don't see the point in working hard to burn off what you've eaten, only to eat it all back again. I want to lose weight healthily, yes, but also quickly. I don't want to be even-stevens about it.

Quickly is usually not healthy (large loss of lean muscle alone with fat)
  • erickirb
    Options
    I just started, so I know im not really one to give advice. But so far im not eating the extra calories I burn because I figure Id be eating everything i just exercised off, you know? Just a thought because im trying to do lose the same. Good Luck! =)

You need to change your though process and relationship with food if this is how you feel. You need to look at it as fueling your workout, and fueling your day to day activity instead.
  • bii14
    bii14 Posts: 192
    Options
    reading all of people's responses makes so much sense.. even all the different opinions.
    I never purposely eat back my calories, but if i ate more than my daily goal but then worked out to fit it in the goal i feel less guilty,!
  • erickirb
    Options
    No Sweetheart,
    do not do that if you do, its like exercising for nothing. You should eat your calculated calories for the day only,
    meaning what your body would burn without any exercise. then workout to reduce that counting daily calories. Exc; My natural calorie daily is 2140, so I eat 2140 exercise 1400 calories. This gives me -740 for the day, not bad. Aprox. 3500 calories to a pound of fat. On a five day workout week I've been losing around 1.5lbs per week. Hope this all helps.

Wrong, that is not how MFP works.

MFP give you a caloric intake assuming no exercise to lose your goal amount of weight/week, once you exercise your body needs more fuel to get through the rest of the day.

See my first post and this example:
    As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.
  • zumbaa45
    Options
    Thats a great idea!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat them back, I don't lose weight, it's as simple as that. If I have my deficit over 1000 calories, my body refuses to drop any weight at all, most times I end up gaining weight.
  • roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    technically you are supposed to eat back your calories burnt by exercise. MFP takes deducts your daily calorie amount from your activity level you selected and the amount of weight you plan to lose each week. I always made the mistake of thinking well i train every day so i must be really active, dont do this. choose what you do for your job not exercise. if in doubt chose sedentary its what most people will be.

its up to you whether you want to exercise, one thing it does allow you to eat more :).
    If you dont eat back your calories you burnt you are starving you body of essential nutrients that will have been lost through exercise.

you may also end up losing weight at an unsafe rate. If you want to lose weight at a faster rate you'd be better off dialling in a higher lbs per week to lose than not eating back cals.
  • sniper266
    sniper266 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new to calorie counting, I have used pro point before and I was encouraged to eat the the pro points I had earned by excercising, so I am going to convert the calories I have earned and see how it goes!
  • erickirb
    Options
    No Sweetheart,

Your calc is off as you would already lose weight on 2140 (depending on your goal) I will assume you set it for 2 lbs/week, so what you are doing would lead to a loss of 3.5 lbs/week, which is only a safe amount if you have 150+ lbs to lose, for those with less than 75 lbs to go even 2lbs/week can be too fast.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I just started, so I know im not really one to give advice. But so far im not eating the extra calories I burn because I figure Id be eating everything i just exercised off, you know? Just a thought because im trying to do lose the same. Good Luck! =)

You need to change your though process and relationship with food if this is how you feel. You need to look at it as fueling your workout, and fueling your day to day activity instead.

Agree! The way you view and focus on food and exercise will greatly impact your overall weight goals and maintenance:-) Good luck, Food is not the enemy:-)
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I am new to calorie counting, I have used pro point before and I was encouraged to eat the the pro points I had earned by excercising, so I am going to convert the calories I have earned and see how it goes!

Off topic...Funny profile pic;-) above poster
  • zumbaa45
    Options
    I see your point, but your ALREADY eating less amount of calories according to your goal. I eat LESS than my exercise calories but i do eat most of them because of the fuel it gives me. i work out twice a day & have lost 60lbs and it works great for me!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    For me, I've decided to start exercising...just so I can eat more. I've been at 1200 a day..and it is hard to keep that up and I don't think I'll make it if I can't eat more. I'm adding exercise to my routine and upping my calorie intake to 1400.

I like the one posters routine of eating back on the days she doesn't work out. To me, that makes sense because you can keep your body guessing --

so many people post about how they work out like crazy and don't lose... so I think it is a balancing act..and very personal.

Do what works for you...just try out different things.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Numbers, numbers, numbers...I just did a little math and have determined that I probably am losing 1 pound a week. Eh. All that matters to me is that smaller pants are fitting me now, and that my male friends think I'm kind of a hottie now. If I'm losing 1 pound a week x 52 weeks = yay! I'm losing 52 pounds. In a year. Sounds good to me!

And also, I'm agreeing with keeping your body guessing. I kind of slacked on working out for a while and just ate less, and that was pissing me off because I was hungry, so I put exercise back in, and voila! Losing again! I do a tread mill and I will spike my brisk walk on it with different grades, and will randomly pop it up in speed and then back down. At that point my body is like WTF and confused, but it's working for me. Once your body settles, it slows down. Gotta keep it guessing!
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I try to eat some of them...some days I do eat all of them but I dont like doing that becasue I dont have a heart rate monitor so Idk how accurate these calories burned are...In many cases I have worked out a lot longer than I post becasue I dont want to overstate my calories.

I would eat them always if I felt it was accurate. Your body needs fuel to function. Some people have their bodies tryin to function off of basically nothing.