500 calories a day program?

Options
I am *NOT* promoting this, but one of my coworkers has just started a program that only allows her to eat 500 calories a day. The first week was protein only (no veggies). Is this something that anyone else has heard of? Is it reasonable?

500 calories doesn't sound healthy to me...

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it would work..and I've heard of these 500 cal diets supported with vitamin injections..and they work for weight loss. But for how long? Sounds desperate and short term for sure. Riding the yo yo ... that is what your co worker is doing.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Eventually she will have to break the 'diet' and return to different eating habits.. and what would this diet have taught her about eating properly? Nothing.

It will all be gained back very quickly once she returns to 'normal' eating because this will not teach her portion size, anything about macros, calories, etc.

Agreed with the above poster.. it's a yo-yo diet.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It's far from reasonable in my opinion.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    yup this diet exists, it's called natural selection. It's used to help us identify the dumbest people on earth when they aren't wearing an Ed Hardy shirt
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    yup this diet exists, it's called natural selection. It's used to help us identify the dumbest people on earth when they aren't wearing an Ed Hardy shirt

:laugh:
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Dang, I just polished off about 530 calories for BREAKFAST. I can't imagine having on that small amount for an entire day. Pretty sure my family would disown me because I would be a total b**** on that little food.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Whoa. That is really extreme. I sincerly hope that she is under a doctor's supervision. Is this some type of medical diet proscribed by a doctor for someone who is morbidly obese? NO ONE should attempt this type of diet otherwise or without a doctor!! CRAZY!
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    thats not ok, 500 cals is one meal - not a healthy way to lose and definatley not sustainable.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine does research on long term weight loss. The results are clear. People can lose weight lots of ways - although the slow, steady way has the greatest losses just because it is easiest to stick to.

But most people put the weight back on. The faster the crash, the faster the regaining.

And every time you try to lose weight again it gets harder because (1) you don't work as hard because it undermines your efficacy and (2) your body changes and holds onto calories more dearly.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Only if she is morbidly obese and under a doctor's direction, and not for long term. If this isn't something her doctor has her doing, for example some people are instructed to do very low calorie diets to prepare for gastric surgery, then it's crazy.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    My mum is following a plan at the moment where she eats normally for 5 days of the week and eats 500 calories for 2 days. she was on a 500 cal day the other day lost concentration and lifted a pan straight from the oven with her bare hands. she has lost 12lbs in about 10 days but for me it just isnt worth it. I couldn,t function on that on a normal day and certainly not a day when I have to work. Also I workout hard I would almost certainly pass out. i would rather lose weight slowly and healthily.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sounds like pure madness to me
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing alternate fast days like this. T/Th I eat only 500 (net) calories. Sun I eat 1200. The other four days, I eat at my maintenance calories. I'm getting the same calories deficit as I did back when I was eating the same level of reduced calories every day. I cannot imagine eating only 500 every day. I don't yet know how this will work, because I've only been doing it for a week and a half now. I guess in a few weeks I'll see if it's helped break me out of my plateau.

My mum is following a plan at the moment where she eats normally for 5 days of the week and eats 500 calories for 2 days. she was on a 500 cal day the other day lost concentration and lifted a pan straight from the oven with her bare hands. she has lost 12lbs in about 10 days but for me it just isnt worth it. I couldn,t function on that on a normal day and certainly not a day when I have to work. Also I workout hard I would almost certainly pass out. i would rather lose weight slowly and healthily.
  • lindadevito
    Options
    The only way I can manage to start getting the weight off is sticking to under 1000 calories per day and manage to lose 2lbs per day average. This is extreme to most people but I don't have a hungry feeling (probably the determination). I am only doing this while I build up my activity level to compensate for the calorie intake. I could not imagine only eating 500 calories per day, every day, and be able to actually stick to it.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

This.... oh and every other poster is correct!
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The only way I can manage to start getting the weight off is sticking to under 1000 calories per day and manage to lose 2lbs per day average. This is extreme to most people but I don't have a hungry feeling (probably the determination). I am only doing this while I build up my activity level to compensate for the calorie intake. I could not imagine only eating 500 calories per day, every day, and be able to actually stick to it.

You know your supposed to loose 2lbs or 1% of your total weight PER WEEK... not per day!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    500 a day is ridiculous unless it is medically supervised by both a medical doctor and a nutritionist (degree, not simple program). Such a diet can be done by sticking to large amounts of proteins and plenty of supplemental vitamins and fluids. But again, this would be medically supervised. Not just medically advised, but SUPERVISED.

The ONLY reason to do this is very quick, rapid weight loss before surgery where weight can be a hindrance.

It is not going to work for long term weight loss at all. Maybe a couple weeks.

The real key is the behavioral change. This is only done via the slow and steady weight loss plan. Something that most of all of us here are doing.

If you don't change what caused it in the first place, when its gone, it will come roaring back.
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It is shear stupidity ! ! ! All you friend will be doing is starving her body and making it go into starvation mode so the metabolism slows right down ! When you friends starts to eat normally again he / she will gain the weight back faster than was lost.

No female should eat less than 1200 calories a day, I have been told to eat around 1400 a day which is still low as a female should have 2000 / 2500 calories a day when they are not trying to lose weight and for men add another 500 calories on top of that !

I had a dietitian that told me I wasn't eating enough food and it took me over 2 years to learn to eat more, even now some days I struggle to eat enough food ( except when I get taken out to lunch..... lol )

Tell your friend to grow up, be sensible and lose weight the correct way and not the fast way !
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    So, what about those of us who really CAN't lose on 1200 or more cal?. I've tried.. and tried. The ONLY success i've ever had has been to stick around 1000. Yes it's miserable. Yes I work out (p90x). I've even tried the whole "metabolism reset" thing. NOTHING seems to work. I have resigned myself to having to eat VERY small amounts for the rest of my life. I know that I will never be able to increase my cals without gaining weight :(
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    So, what about those of us who really CAN't lose on 1200 or more cal?. I've tried.. and tried. The ONLY success i've ever had has been to stick around 1000. Yes it's miserable. Yes I work out (p90x). I've even tried the whole "metabolism reset" thing. NOTHING seems to work. I have resigned myself to having to eat VERY small amounts for the rest of my life. I know that I will never be able to increase my cals without gaining weight :(

What did you do for exercise? Doing strength training along with eating more works.