Weight Loss and Gaining Strength

Hi Everyone,

I come seeking advice. I weigh 155 lbs and I'm 5' 6" tall. My highest weight was 165 lbs. Over the past year I have been stuck at 155 lbs (sometimes at 150 sometimes creeping backup). I don't know my body fat percentage but I know I can easily pull about 2" from my stomach (gross!).

I've been eliminating processed foods, and trying to eat more raw foods (like fruits and veggies not cooked). I have been generally eating at 1,200 calories a day, except when I workout/run (i'll eat more) some days it seems like I don't eat enough either. I have been focusing on my food more than my exercise. I'll make homemade dinner and for-go working out because my diet was atrocious.

I'm thinking about adding on a swimming class two days a week (in a few weeks), and I'm trying out Crossfit this Thursday. I typically run about 5 miles during the week already.

I am super tired of being this weight and having fat. If I am going to be stuck at 155, I want to look good and feel strong. I don't feel that way right now. I am messing up somewhere and I can't figure it out. I do have weekend free meals, where I'll have something not too healthy (like french fries and a coke) but other than that, I feel like I am not cheating.... but the scale and my stomach doesn't lie.

Any advice?

Replies

• laurenmdaley
    laurenmdaley Posts: 40 Member
    Hi there,

Maybe you should give increasing your calorie intake a shot? I recently (like last week recently) upped my calories from 1200 to 1500 per day and feel a LOT better. I know it's not for everyone and it feels counter intuitive, but there are a lot of people on these boards who have been very successful by eating more than the recommended 1200. Check out the eat more to weigh less group, good and interesting info there.

Good luck!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    I recommend picking up New Rules of Lifting for Women. You need to start a challenging lifting routine to help burn excess fat and gain strength. It has a nutrition guide, lifting routines and science to back it up. It's available at any major book retailer.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Im pretty much the same as you! Its very frustrating!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    I'm gaining LOADS of strength by lifting weights with New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I love it. I can see & feel muscles that I never saw or felt even when I weighed much less.
  • I was stuck at 150-160 for about 2 1/2 years....started weight training 5 months ago and have lost almost 20 lbs but have went from womens size 11/12 to a juniors size 6....even put on a pair of American Eagle size 4 this weekend...weight lifting has given me great results and I love it!
  • OtterAmber
    OtterAmber Posts: 49 Member
    I will look into increasing my calories. I find it difficult sometimes to get up there in calories when I eat vegetables and fish, and things of the sort. Especially foods that aren't highly processed.

Thank you for responding!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    It sounds like you are eating too little to fuel your body. According to the numbers I pulled for you for working out 3-5 days a week you should be eating closer to 1880 calories per day. About 1650 a day if you are lightly active. I would stay closer to the 1800 number since your BMR is at 1510.

Check out this post if you need a better explanation: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good Luck!
  • OtterAmber
    OtterAmber Posts: 49 Member
    Wow! Thank you everyone for all your responses.

Would adding weightlifting be similar to doing crossfit? Should I eliminate my plan to add on swimming and just increase the amount of time doing crossfit? I have joined a gym before and didn't feel comfortable using the weights around all the guys. I always felt like I was in their way.
  • You will be surprised at how accepting the guys are in the weight room. I was so scared at first.....then I just said one day to a couple of the guys who I noticed were there every day....Help a sister out.....dont be so scary.....they didn't even realize women thought about it that way....so they were much more inviting and now we are all buds!