Tips for weight loss in freshman year of college?

Options
2»

Replies

• wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I joined this site last summer before my freshmen year. I was determined not to gain the freshmen 15 and instead of gaining I actually lost 10 pounds. My high School clothes are actually kinda big on me now. I workout at least 5 days a week but its mostly about calories in and calories out. Also, look at some of the foods you eat and switch them for the more healthier version. For example, instead of regular chips you can get vegetable chips or the snap pea crisps, Whole wheat bread and oatmeal instead of white. Try to eat meals high in protein and drink lots of water. Greek yogurt has around 15g of protein per serving and only about 130 calories. Good luck with freshmen year and staying healthy :)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    When I went to college, I actually lost weight (initially). I went to a small school but it was built on a hill so I was constantly walking up/down stairs and hills.

I also lived on sandwiches and avoided the hot meals. I loved the sandwich and salad bars.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Walk everywhere. Keep your car at your apartment/dorm/condo/whatever. If you're commuting, park it once and try not to move it to get from class to class (not sure how open your campus is, though, so that might be unfeasible).

This was the most important one for me. I didn't gain any weight my first three years of college because I didn't have a car and walked everywhere. The closest shopping center was almost a mile away, and while many of my friends insisted on driving or taking the bus, I had no problem walking there and back. It wasn't until I got a car after my junior year that the junk food and alcohol started to catch up.
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Eat right at the cafeterias.
    Watch the alcohol cals.
    Don't Eat at like 3am
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Don't overindulge in the Natty Light and in the all-you-can eat dining rooms.

Go bucks!
    <--- Alum

Alum here too! One week!
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I thought like you when I was a freshman...big school, healthy options from dining, lots of walking and a gym...gained almost 30 pounds.

But, I was guilty of 3am eating binges. Just pick healthier options, keep active, and don't drink all weekend away and you'll be fine.
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    I gained weight at college because the dining hall was basically all you can eat, with a lot of different options at every meal. A little of this, a little of that, and a little from the dessert bar every day .... bam, 15 lbs.

That said, if I was actually watching my diet (which I wasn't) it would have been very easy to avoid the gain, and eat healthy, since there were so many options, including a huge salad bar.

Good luck!!
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Its not the food from the cafeteria or dining hall that gets ya. Its the booze, and then the late night fast food runs after said booze
  • Cara2628
    Cara2628 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everyone!! i will try my best to eat as healthy as i can and avoid too much snacking if i can haha

i really appreciate the help!
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • stephmo86
    Options
    Eat the foods in your cafeteria that aren't slathered in butter and grease. You can also usually just ask for a piece of grilled chicken or egg whites instead of whole eggs. And, if you can't find any healthy options, talk to someone in charge. Ask how you can get healthier options while at school. They love that kind of stuff in college (if you go about it nicely and all).

Also, pack your own snacks for between classes. That way, you're not forced to eat the 400 calorie muffin from the coffee stand if you're hungry. Just get some coffee. And avoid the free pizza. It's glorious, it really is, but pizza is a staple and advertising technique for college students. Try to eat a salad before you go to somewhere with "free pizza."

Good luck!!
  • em_arylin
    Options
    I just graduated, and surprisingly didn't gain any weight. Freshman year I signed up for two one-credit aerobics courses and that helped me maintain my weight because I was drinking like an Irishman. Sophomore year I had my own kitchen so the eating was healthier, junior year went abroad to Italy and you walk everywhere there, and finally senior year took fitness classes again to maintain my weight because the drinking was everyday and pretty extensive (big party school). I think that you will have to watch your drinking or take fitness classes to counterbalance it. Sorry for the super long reply.
  • Cara2628
    Cara2628 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You guys are all awesome!! Thanks so much!
  • Hyzaarc
    Hyzaarc Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Walk everywhere. Keep your car at your apartment/dorm/condo/whatever. If you're commuting, park it once and try not to move it to get from class to class (not sure how open your campus is, though, so that might be unfeasible).

This was the most important one for me. I didn't gain any weight my first three years of college because I didn't have a car and walked everywhere. The closest shopping center was almost a mile away, and while many of my friends insisted on driving or taking the bus, I had no problem walking there and back. It wasn't until I got a car after my junior year that the junk food and alcohol started to catch up.

I'm a commuter student (freshman, and Nursing student) I have to agree, I walk everywhere on campus and only use my car for my 45 mile commute. If i'm going to get lunch (off campus usually) I walk it unless I've got only 15 minutes. I try to park on the 5th floor of the deck (so I can run ALL THE STAIRS!) and Not be tempted to take my car. However the issue that I have is; I don't have a meal plan. I tend to snack (curse you vending machines!) and raid the cafeteria on days that I have enough time to stop downstairs and find food.

Use the Gym if possible, if not run around campus in your spare time or on breaks from studying.