Heart Rate, how much is too high?

Options
I am a 220 lb, 5"11 male 32 years of age.

When I do cardio my heart rate usually hovers around 150-160 bpm. If I start to push harder it goes up to 170 and the machines start warning me "heart rate too high".

Is it? I don't feel like it is. I feel like I could go harder I don't have any problems breathing at that intensity either, the only reason I slow down is the machine warning me.

I don't know what my maximum heart rate is. Am I even burning fat in that range or does 150+ BPM start to burn muscle?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If you feel fine, it's fine. You will feel it if it gets too high. For me, that's at about the 200 mark! According to the formulas, my max HR should be 183 (I'm 37) but in reality, it's about 202. When I run, my average HR is in the 170s and when I bike, it's usually in the 140s or 150s. My top HR during workouts is usually 192 for running and 172 for biking. I haven't died yet :-) But once I hit 200, usually in high heat, I start to not feel great so I start walking until the HR comes back down.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    Thanks it's a relief to know that. I've felt like 170 is limiting me and slowing down when I hit that rate because of the warnings was really irritating.

I'll just ignore it and assume I still have plenty of headroom there to go higher because I probably do. And if I don't and I die, I am going haunt you and constantly move your remote, keys, purse, keycards and phone so you can't find them. Pray that I live!
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Doctor told me, if you're not breathing heavily, you can go harder. I can usually hit like 185 before I even start to feel it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Most of these machines rely on the old 220-your age (if they even ask your age) as your MaxHR and their manufacturers use the so-called "fat burning" zone as the target.

I'm 56 and when I'm running hills my heart rate will spike at 180 (I should be dead according to my HRM).

The only really accurate way to assess MaxHR is with a stress test but if you're feeling fine I wouldn't lose any sleep over it (if your breathing becomes laboured or you're feeling light headed dial it back).
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'll just ignore it and assume I still have plenty of headroom there to go higher because I probably do. And if I don't and I die, I am going haunt you and constantly move your remote, keys, purse, keycards and phone so you can't find them. Pray that I live!

LOL...I'll remember that if things start disappearing! Don't scare the kids, OK?
  • roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am a 220 lb, 5"11 male 32 years of age.

When I do cardio my heart rate usually hovers around 150-160 bpm. If I start to push harder it goes up to 170 and the machines start warning me "heart rate too high".

Is it? I don't feel like it is. I feel like I could go harder I don't have any problems breathing at that intensity either, the only reason I slow down is the machine warning me.

I don't know what my maximum heart rate is. Am I even burning fat in that range or does 150+ BPM start to burn muscle?

as said already the warning is telling you your hr is too high for the fat burning or cardio zone, although for your age the fat burning zone seems to be set a little too high. my fat burning zone is around 135-155 bpm and im 31, so more likely to be your cardio zone.

your body burns fat first to do everyday tasks, ramp up exercise and body switches to glycogen stores, you have about 2000 cals worth per day. deplete this and your body will start breaking down protein ie your muscles into glycogen to burn as fuel.

if you're worried about keeping muscle stay at the top of the fat burning zone, there are online calculators for this and working out your max HR etc. this will give u a rough guide try to limit session to 45 minutes max on the bike. if you do it after a weights session maybe limit the bike to say 20 minutes as glycogen stores already depleted somewhat.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering something similar yesterday. Found what appears to be some decent information on this site. http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html
  • lupo316
    lupo316 Posts: 26
    Options
    I don't know if this helps but from what I've read, a good way to tell if your heart is strong enough to handle high intensities like that is to see how quickly it goes down. So if you're going from 170 to 140 within a minute of changing your intensity, your heart is strong like bull.
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have a heart condition and my resting heart rate hovers around 120-130. When i workout I can easily get it to 205-210 and I run and workout on a daily basis. My Dr told me a normal person that is physically fit should have a resting heart rate around 60-70 and a max heart rate while working out around 170-185. In my case I have to monitor my heart rate cause even though I can breath and i dont feel super worn out my heart rate may be crazy fast and i have to stop. So I wouldnt always base your physical ability by your heart rate and just push and go as far as you can till your tired.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    the machine count your max hr according to this fomula
    max HR = 220- age
    it's very inaccurate
    some of the machines even turn off when you reach 90% of that
    you can avoid this by putting lower age
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    when i joined the gym, they do a free "assessment" and they tell you all that, my target HR is 151-161, im 24 @ 225, i dont usually got past 170ish,
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Test your Vo2max and see how your body utilizes oxygen. I've used this method:

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/tests/rockport.htm

Rockport one mile test. Easy to do on a treadmill and easier if you have a HRM to go along with. IF you dont have an HRM, make sure to take a FULL MINUTE to read your pulse. Your HR can quickly lower within that minute, and if you take a 10 pulse x 60 sec, you'll get the wrong result.

According to the standard 220-age, my max is 184. I don't reach that often, even if I'm pounding it on the trails my max is around 170. I have a pretty healthy heart and my last Vo2max test scored 'athlete above avg.'
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    In my professional opinion, ignore the HRM alarm. Keep on pushing :-)

Edit: Call me if you experience chest pain, fullness, squeezing, pain in arms, neck, jaw or lightheadness. I will use the automated external defibrillator on your sweaty-self and you can resume working out in 24 hours ... no need to die and haunt us all.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    When I run my highest HR is about 173 and that's on a sprint. For my formulation my high should be 176, I don't hit that very often anymore as I've gotten fitter.
    Was recently in hospital and was on their heart rate monitor and my resting HR was between 60-64, I was very happy with that!
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I did a 26mi bike ride in 2hours and I'm rather sure my heart rate was about 180 (had a watch to time beats per twelve seconds)

I had some side effects though, my eyes were a bit bloodshot and I had a headache after. I felt fine while going but next time I will slow down a bit because I know I wasn't getting oxygen in fast enough.
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    I've had trainers quote the 'fat burning zone' to me, and many machines at the gym show you right where that is. I know this is one of those things that's open to opinion, but personally I'm not a big believer in this one. This article has some good information on how the body actually works.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone.htm
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you feel fine, it's fine. You will feel it if it gets too high. For me, that's at about the 200 mark! According to the formulas, my max HR should be 183 (I'm 37) but in reality, it's about 202. When I run, my average HR is in the 170s and when I bike, it's usually in the 140s or 150s. My top HR during workouts is usually 192 for running and 172 for biking. I haven't died yet :-) But once I hit 200, usually in high heat, I start to not feel great so I start walking until the HR comes back down.

Glad to see this reply, since my levels have been about the same. I've only spiked above 200 once that I know of...that was during the final turn of a race. Got a little excited at that one since the finale was running through my favorite team's stadium. =)