Lose weight on Creatine?

Options
I've lost a bunch of weight. I still have about 50lbs to go. I run for cardio and started a rigorous weightlifting program. And I HURT! It’s taking me a long time to recover from lifting weights and I am very lethargic the next day. Should I look into supplements such as Creatine? Will this stop me from losing weight? I'm 36 years old and feeling as if I'm 63 years old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Creatine is a strength training supplement that helps you deliver a little extra power to lifting. It works by enhancing ADP energy delivery in your muscles at the molecular level... basically it means it'll give you a little extra oomph to pound out a couple extra reps in a set, therefore increasing muscle hypertrophy.

It will cause you to hold on to water weight, and once you're muscles are saturated with it you will probably see a few pounds difference on the scale.

It does not work like caffeine and is not a stimulant. So if you're feeling lethargic, this isn't what your looking for. It may help slightly with recovery by keeping the muscles loaded with water, and therefore, nutrients - but it will not help with your soreness. You should probably have second look at your diet and consider a good quality whey protein isolate to help you with recovery.
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    it's hard to lose weight and gain muscle ..the two ideas, while aren't impossible to do, kind of work different routines..

in order to recover from muscle damage (due to lifting and HIIT)
    Protein is used to rebuild muscle..Protein comes with calories so if you are on a extreme defecit then you body isn't getting the Protein it needs to rebuild the muscle (hence the feeling of 63 the next day)

Carbs offer little value to the rebuilding of the muscles..they help to replinish some of the fluid in the muscle (which is used for short burst of low intenisty work outs)...

Protein is the main key, so if you center your eating more protein then you will reduce the fatigue time of rebuilding the muscles..but on a deficet plan it's hard to get enough protein..most athletes trying to gain muscle eat over 3k in calories and over 50% are protein...Which becomes extremely hard to eat 1500 calories of protein on a 2000 calories plan

there are also post work out supplements that may help with the rebuilding...they supposely help with reducing the fatigue time..but I don't know the name of them..I just know they exist

if you are trying to lose weight..lose weight...if you are building muscle then build muscle...it's really hard to do both

good luck man..I am watching
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I used a whey protein with Creatine in for a few weeks about a month ago, I still lost weight and looked more muscular with it and was training really good but it was bloating my face too much. Once I went back to my other protein after a few days I was surprised to see how lean my face had actually gotten with the fat loss I had managed during that time.

I would give it another go once I'm closer to my goal as its a little demoralising to be training well but looking like you're not getting leaner. Depends how vain you are!
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Creatine is one of the most-researched supplements in existence, an will help you build strength while lifting. You will see a small weight gain or zero loss when you first go to it, but overall the increase isn't noticeable. Generally speaking, go with 5 grams a day, every day. I've not seen anything even remotely scientific regarding loading phases (i.e., high dose weeks and low dose weeks) that wasn't from somebody trying to sell me something. I personally use the cheap, generic creatine monohydrate - the bells and whistles don't seem to truly add anything.

As far as fatigue, make sure your form is good. Form is everything in lifting. Also makes sure there is enough protein in your diet to help rebuild the muscles you are working.

You can also try to mix it up with the weights. Let's say you're doing low rep, high weight sets - pick a week and swap it up. If you were doing 2 sets of 10 @ 40 pounds, go to 3 sets of 15-20 at 20 pounds, or some other variation. Try a different bicep curl, or move to the incline bench. Variation is the spice of life, and can help build the support muscles while still hitting the major muscle groups.