Worried about the small amount of calories MFP has me on?

Options
MFP has me on a daily goal of 1250 calories, that with weight loss set at 1lb a week. I have another 30+ pounds to lose and worry that if it's this low now, knowing it won't drop me below 1200 that my weight loss will plateau very quickly.

Anyone else lost a fair amount of weight (50lb ish) with such a small calorie goal and not struggles?

Replies

• v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not eating below BMR - basal metabolic rate.

You might be better off setting your goal to 1/2 lb. loss per week, especially as your goal gets close.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    MFP has me on a daily goal of 1250 calories, that with weight loss set at 1lb a week. I have another 30+ pounds to lose and worry that if it's this low now, knowing it won't drop me below 1200 that my weight loss will plateau very quickly.

Anyone else lost a fair amount of weight (50lb ish) with such a small calorie goal and not struggles?

You could manually increase calories, or just go over by a couple hundred daily, and see what rate you lose at. That's the beauty of this, you can monitor and adjust as needed. If you are concerned about it, just add some calories and see what happens.
  • summersherbek
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if you aren't eating enough. I am part of a team that promotes a health challenge in Omaha, NE, and we do a calorie workup for people on the team with us that just uses basic nutrition math (BMR and HBE formulas). By accounting more accurately for your average level of activity and average eating a week at a time, we've had more success with it than just with mfp (though we still use mfp for tracking).

I've seen many people move off plateau within a week, even a few that were stuck for 6 months or longer, just by having better information about where they should be eating and making small adjustments. Most of them aren't eating enough to fuel their bodies for weight loss. Further, some have found that though they aren't seeing pounds fall off, they are losing inches (building lean muscle). The workup also helps people understand that it isn't just about the number on the scale...its also about inches and body fat percentage.

I'd be happy to get a workup to you if you'd like one, just message me your height, weight and age, or your BMR. Couldn't hurt, might help!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you logging any exercise and eating back the extra calories you earn?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you logging any exercise and eating back the extra calories you earn?

^This.

If you need to eat more either exercise to earn the calories or change your goal to 0.5lbs/week or manually increase them by 100 or so.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What did you set your activity level at and what do you in the day/evening (ie type of job, run around after kids etc). You may have the activity setting too low.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM, set the activity level as sedentary as I don't see general day to day cleaning etc as anything much.

When I exercise I'll eat some of the calories back but not all as I know MFP can be inaccurate anyway with the number of calories burned.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM, set the activity level as sedentary as I don't see general day to day cleaning etc as anything much.

When I exercise I'll eat some of the calories back but not all as I know MFP can be inaccurate anyway with the number of calories burned.

If you have kids, you are not sedentary, even if you to not have a 'formal' job. Good call regarding the exercise calories. Its often good to leave a few on the table to account for inaccuracies (eating back 50 - 75% is a good idea imo).

I would suggest you up your activity vlevel to at least lightly active. I have a desk job and pretty much am a couch potato outside work and exercise and based on my BMF and results, should be set at light to moderately active, I am sure you are running around much more than me. This will give you more calories. Give it at least 4 weeks at the higher cals and see what you progress is and tweak accordingly.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You should probably be eating more like 1600-1700 if you are active at all. I have a really hard time at 1200 without starving and ending up sabotaging my progress by binging because I am so hungry. So for me it is better to set mine a little higher than that. And I lost 60 lbs doing it that way before I found MFP. You shouldn't be constantly hungry; it will not help you.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

I had 23 pounds to lose and they started me at 1370 and went down to 1310 as I lost weight (I'm 5'10"). But I actually rarely net 1250 and I'm always under 1000-2000 calories a week.

To be honest, it's been easy. Once I identified the high calories I was eating that I didn't care about (for me it was cake, bread, tortillas and cheese) I can eat and feel full all day with no problem.

But start with half a pound while you figure out your diary and then go lower if you feel you can. The important part is the long term weight loss and sustainability. When I look at my diary, it is way more stable day-to-day now than it was when I first started in May. I am also less hungry and still eat everything I want - just not as much of it.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Difficult to comment as your diary is closed.

I agree with the others, if you are finding it difficult to eat so few calories then re-set to .5 lbs per week.

If you haven't stalled yet then perhaps you should leave it as is or try exercising more to get more calories...

If you're trying to find some high bulk low cal foods then check out everyone's diary for ideas-this has helped me a great deal.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Difficult to comment as your diary is closed.

I agree with the others, if you are finding it difficult to eat so few calories then re-set to .5 lbs per week.

If you haven't stalled yet then perhaps you should leave it as is or try exercising more to get more calories...

If you're trying to find some high bulk low cal foods then check out everyone's diary for ideas-this has helped me a great deal.

I'm actually finding 1250 ok most days, I'm just worried that with quite a lot more to lose that my body will get used to this and I can't really drop much lower in cals.

Thanks for the help all. I shall try changing my activity levels for the time being and see how I go on higher cals and take it from there.