How is Truvia Natural and No Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• danni2332
    Options
    Where do you get Stevia in the Raw? I *Think* I've seen it at Wal-Mart near the Truvia, but can't remember for sure.

Can you bake with it?

as far as I know its near the rest of the sugar and other sugar substitutes, and yes you can bake with it.
  • chanelcinq
    Options
    I know this thread is a months old but I had to comment. Both Stevia In The Raw and Truvia are manufactured by the Coca-Cola Company. Both are NOT pure stevia. They are MAFE FROM stevia in the same way that Splenda is MADE FROM sugar. Both Stevia In The Raw and Truvia have at least one known carcinogen.

If you are going to use stevia then use brands like NuNaturals, Wisdom Natural, SweetLeaf, or the other many healthy, natural brands. Because if you use Stevia In The Raw or Truvia you may as well be putting Splenda, Equal, or Sweet and Lo on your food.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    From what I understand....and anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong...if it has less than 5 calories per serving then they can list the calorie count as zero on the nutrition facts.

I didn't read the comments, so if someone already said that, sorry.

Most likely this. I know that Splenda actually has four calories per packet, and I vaguely remember reading that Truvia has three calories per packet.

Not a lot on a single packet basis, but important to remember if baking. e.g. a cup of Splenda isn't going to be zero calories, more like 190 or so.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is a months old but I had to comment. Both Stevia In The Raw and Truvia are manufactured by the Coca-Cola Company. Both are NOT pure stevia. They are MAFE FROM stevia in the same way that Splenda is MADE FROM sugar. Both Stevia In The Raw and Truvia have at least one known carcinogen.

If you are going to use stevia then use brands like NuNaturals, Wisdom Natural, SweetLeaf, or the other many healthy, natural brands. Because if you use Stevia In The Raw or Truvia you may as well be putting Splenda, Equal, or Sweet and Lo on your food.

Correction...Stevia in the Raw contains a compound that was transformed into a known carcinogen in the lab using a process that may or may not be replicated in the digestive system. I'm basing this off the (widely-panned) livestrong article. While not a subscriber of the primal diet, there is good info at Mark's Daily Apple on the topic.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/stevia/#axzz24Tj9SSKz
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was coming here to post similarly to what chanelcinq did. I use Sweetleaf for this reason. It's natural and uses Reb-A. I've been researching Stevia since I cut out aspartame and sucralose (Splenda) from my diet.