How do I eat up to my calorie limits?

Options
Hi! I'm new to this app. If you read my about me you'll see it's been quite a journey. I've only been on this app for two days so my food tracking doesn't show much of a complete story. The trouble I've been having is getting enough calories in. I do not have an eating disorder but I do believe my metabolism is completely shot from having had the Lap-Band. As I no longer have the lap-band and can now eat more than the 800-1000 calories I was averaging when I had it.. I'm finding it hard to eat "clean" and get up to the calorie goals that MFP has set for me. I'm a big girl 5'9.5" and I flucuate between 215 and 220 since I got married in March of 2011. I prefer to follow a modified "South Beach" style eating plan as one of the side affects of my birth control "Apri" is insulin resistance. My youngest step-daughter is a type 1 diabetic so it also helps her when I don't eat things that she can't have as well. I know this is a ramble but between all the fresh veggies and lean protein, I'm finding it hard to get to 1700-1800 calories and I'm sort of scared to try as I absolutley do not want to go back to 305lbs. What am I doing wrong and what are some ideas for some meals/snacks to help me out here?
The sugar levels that MFP has tracked seem way off to me considering I do not eat anything with added sugar and all of the sugar/carbs i eat are naturally occuring in foods that are "south Beach" approved. I'm so confused.

Replies

• bna8112b
    Options
    also, it doesn't help that when I went to my doctor to talk to him about this sudden weight gain after I got married and to test my thyroid, his response was "you just got married, it happens to everyone, you're thyroid is fine, eat less and move more." at the time I was already eatting1300-1500 calories and exercising 3-4 times a week. So very encouraging.
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well, with very little diary to go by, it's hard to make suggestions.

However, you don't seem to eat much protein. Are you a vegetarian? Could you add meat to your diet to get that up. If not with a meal then perhaps jerky as a snack.

I don't see any fruit listed either. Fruit can be high in natural sugars, but it's good for you. Fruit juice I would avoid though because it often has added sugar and doesn't have the fiber that real fruit has.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    between all the fresh veggies and lean protein, I'm finding it hard to get to 1700-1800 calories and I'm sort of scared to try as I absolutley do not want to go back to 305lbs. What am I doing wrong and what are some ideas for some meals/snacks to help me out here?

Add nuts and other healthy fats like olive oil and peanut butter to your diet. Peanut butter is my go-to snack when I don't feel hungry but still need to add in more calories. A single serving of 2 tablespoons hits in at around 250 calories. This week's filler snack is roasted almonds. 170 calories for just about 28 of them and you can eat that handful and not really feel stuffed from it.

Don't be scared of the MFP calorie recommendations. Make sure and log calories consumed and calories from exercise as accurate as possible and you should get good results from it. My biggest help has been using a food scale to get an accurate count of calories from non-liquid foods. It's amazingly helpful and makes logging so much easier.