Workout Hangover?

Options
I have been debating posting this for some time, but it keeps happening...

Does anyone else feel "hungover" after an evening workout?

I know it's not from drinking because I accepted the Alcohol Free August Challenge... I drink enough water (or so I think)... I don't usually eat after my workout...last night I did because I was starving...

One issue is that my workouts, unavoidably, occur VERY late in the day because I can't get started until my sons are asleep. Last night I started at 9:30 and finished up at about 11:00pm.

Thoughts?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What are we talking about... typical hangover-like symptoms? Headache? Nauseau? ???

You say you're drinking enough, so my first though would be cals/electrolytes.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You got it Jackson: mainly headache, not wanting to eat... The aches are expected due to the previous night's effort. It's just getting unnerving. Should I simply start by adding some Gatorade?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How are you sleeping? Aside from the headaches, how do you feel in the morning?

For me, headaches are almost exclusively a hydration/electrolyte issue. I have much better luck with Nuun than I do Gatorade unless I specifically need the cals.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I tried Nuun for the first time at the Muddy Buddy back in May. I totally forgot about it... I'll have to check in to that. I'm not a fan of the Gatorade due to the taste/calories... I guess water just ain't cuttin' it.

I currently have a HUGE amount of stress in my life. Considering all of that, I'm actually sleeping pretty well. I've only lost a couple of nights in the past months due to wandering brain or restless child...

The feeling in the a.m. is exactly that of a hangover: like I'm velcroed to the bed with a raging headache.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    This happens to me sometimes after a tough leg day. Insanely hungry, tired, and just overall crappy. You might want to increase your calories and water intake on heavy lifting days, and take a rest day the following day.
  • bluestocking06
    bluestocking06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It might be low sodium. That was happening to me after tough training days and was lasting for a day or so after and I figured out it was because I wasn't eating enough salt. Try having something really salty like pickles or something with soy sauce and see if that helps.
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    you always want to eat something after an intense workout in order to replenish things lost from the workout. Either something like a banana or chocolate milk is best. If i do chocolate milk, i have a Nestle Quick 100 calorie bottles.
  • jeniswonge2
    jeniswonge2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this exists because I have these exact same issues. Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who calls them "workout hangovers" as well. I woke up with one today and have felt crappy through the entire day. Last night I walked and jogged for a couple of hours, but I also got plenty of water with electrolytes and sodium. I even ate afterwards. I seem to get these nonstop and it really makes it hard to keep me motivated when I get these "hangovers" anytime I get some exercise.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    What us your daily caloric intake?
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think it has something to do with blood flow. I get migraines and I have gotten more than one workout induced migraine. It gives me an aura, where my vision gets distorted, and I feel out of sorts. Sometimes workouts relieve a migraine for me but sometimes they cause them. Since migraines are vascular I think that the change in your blood flow may cause this.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Try an EmergenC. High VitC and electrolytes. I take one if I have sweated more than usual.

Cheers, h.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Another possibility you could check is neck position or other form breakdown.