500 calories a day program?

Options

Replies

• missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    yup this diet exists, it's called natural selection. It's used to help us identify the dumbest people on earth when they aren't wearing an Ed Hardy shirt

ha ha ha! I needed a good laugh :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • kevkelly15
    Options
    DIETS DONT WORK!!!! there are millions of diets out there and NONE of them work. in order to acheieve the weight loss you want, you have to change your eating habits and the foods you eat as well as excercise... It has to become a LIFE CHANGE and a brand new MENTALITY that you live by. Other wise your wasting your time
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Any diet that has you eating calories below TDEE will result in weight loss (be it fat or muscle). So will this "program" work? Absolutely. But is it a good idea? For several reasons, probably not.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My mum is following a plan at the moment where she eats normally for 5 days of the week and eats 500 calories for 2 days. she was on a 500 cal day the other day lost concentration and lifted a pan straight from the oven with her bare hands. she has lost 12lbs in about 10 days but for me it just isnt worth it. I couldn,t function on that on a normal day and certainly not a day when I have to work. Also I workout hard I would almost certainly pass out. i would rather lose weight slowly and healthily.

Your mum should split up her fasting days, and not do them back to back. I think she would feel better and make better decisions throughout the rest of the week.
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    yup this diet exists, it's called natural selection. It's used to help us identify the dumbest people on earth when they aren't wearing an Ed Hardy shirt

:laugh: seriously funny
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :laugh:

"What's wrong with my dragons?"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3VN3SSyVAeZlaWVylLZ90KsZCLByfEn63-mV3CsCdNZ7YH6-yPlqRqbxi

As far as the diet goes - lunacy. Medically supervised or not, I'd never even contemplate such a thing....I may not have a LOT of muscle, but I'd like to keep ahold of what I have. They undoubtedly lose a lot of weight, but a lot of it is muscle mass - then when you gain back, guess what you gain to replace all that muscle you lost? (Hint: if you guessed FAT, you're right).
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I highly recommended when using this diet to combine derive at least 300 of these calories from lead paint chips. Why prolong the inevitable ?:drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker:

Dude. Love it !!
  • funkylemur
    funkylemur Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    that sounds extreme, I dont know how you could achieve the correct amount of vitamins, minerals, protein etc on just that small amount.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    So, what about those of us who really CAN't lose on 1200 or more cal?. I've tried.. and tried. The ONLY success i've ever had has been to stick around 1000. Yes it's miserable. Yes I work out (p90x). I've even tried the whole "metabolism reset" thing. NOTHING seems to work. I have resigned myself to having to eat VERY small amounts for the rest of my life. I know that I will never be able to increase my cals without gaining weight :(
    If you lived on a severe calorie deficit, or any deficit for that matter, for a very long time, it could take years for metabolic function to increase back to optimal levels in some people.
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options

LMAO!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Great post, sums it up nicely.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options

LOL I like the way you think!!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    So, what about those of us who really CAN't lose on 1200 or more cal?. I've tried.. and tried. The ONLY success i've ever had has been to stick around 1000. Yes it's miserable. Yes I work out (p90x). I've even tried the whole "metabolism reset" thing. NOTHING seems to work. I have resigned myself to having to eat VERY small amounts for the rest of my life. I know that I will never be able to increase my cals without gaining weight :(
    It sounds like you need to figure out WHY your metabolism is so low, and address the problem. I have a suppressed metabolism due to thyroid disease, and I spent months tweaking my diet and exercise program to figure out what works for me- and with the *right* choices I've been able to significantly increase my calories and lose weight at the same time. I didn't gain my weight by eating a ton of junk food or even a ton of food period- it was just wrong for my medical condition. I eat more now than I ever did while gaining weight. It's an extremely frustrating process, but eating 1000 calories for the rest of my life was not an option for me. I value the quality of life that getting to eat provides too much.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/diet-reverses-type-2-diabetes

"In an early stage clinical trial of 11 people, funded by Diabetes UK, all reversed their diabetes by drastically cutting their food intake to just 600 calories a day for two months. And three months later, seven remained free of diabetes."

For info.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/diet-reverses-type-2-diabetes

"In an early stage clinical trial of 11 people, funded by Diabetes UK, all reversed their diabetes by drastically cutting their food intake to just 600 calories a day for two months. And three months later, seven remained free of diabetes."

For info.
    So, based upon a study involving 11 diabetics (who I assume were morbidly obese), you'd recommend a 500-600 calorie/day diet for healthy individuals?
  • mss_anthropy
    mss_anthropy Posts: 31 Member
    Options

HA! that was classic
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    well I'd say if there were awards for best comment per thread, this one would be alllll mine lol
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Eventually she will have to break the 'diet' and return to different eating habits.. and what would this diet have taught her about eating properly? Nothing.

It will all be gained back very quickly once she returns to 'normal' eating because this will not teach her portion size, anything about macros, calories, etc.

Agreed with the above poster.. it's a yo-yo diet.

All very much this. There are no short cuts to long term weight loss. Gotta do the work and learn the lessons or you'll just gain it back.
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow, 500 calories can easily be consumed in 1 meal!!!! What the heck does she get to eat??? Like others said, it's not teaching her diddly squat about a healthy lfestyle just some fad she'll burn out on in at most a month...

Seriously, where do people come up with this stuff??