Low Carb Diet? Help!?

Options
Thinking of going on a low-carb diet. Has anyone ever done one? Is so, please share!

I know the basics, like cutting out breads & starches & replacing with proteins like fish, meat & cheese. I don't know how I'll maintain nutrition. I don't know if it's even worth it, I just noticed that more than 1/2 of the food from my chart in the past 7 days was carbohydrates. Will it be beneficial to me if I cut carbs as much as possible?

Replies

• jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Check out marksdailyapple.com It's Primal eating..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Will it be beneficial to me if I cut carbs as much as possible?

No, it's more to do with your calories overall rather than just carbs.
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want as long as it's high quality proteins, fats and comlex carbs in the form of whole grains, beans, legumes, vegetables,and fruit. So many good healthy carbs! Research and adapt your favorite recipes. It's quite easy once you start doing it- it just becomes a natural thing.... not a chore.
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    There are low carb groups on MFP you can check out and ask questions. There's various low carb diets so it's just a case of research, trying out and finding what suits you. Paleo is one, or just counting carbs but even then you have to choose your level. I aim for under 50g per day and am usually under 30g but then I don't have any bread, pasta, rice or other grains. I also cut out peas, beans, sweetcorn and other starchy veg. I eat my greens, berries, dairy, eggs, cream, more greens, tofu, soya, (I'm vegetarian - low carb's a breeze if you eat meat and fish).

Go to the groups section on MFP and see what you can find :smile:
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Eat lean meats, healthy fats such as olive oil or fatty fish like salmon, and lots of veggies. Watch out for carrots, corn, peas and beans, all of which are high in carbs. You can eat them in moderation. Eat only whole grains like steel cut oats, if you eat any at all. Avoid processed carbs like white flour, white rice, or sugar. Avoid fruit juices, which have a lot of sugar. Eat whole fruit in moderation. That's about it. The key is getting a good variety of foods, and eating plenty of lower carb veggies.
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have lost most of my weight from cutting down on pasta, rice, potatoes, cheese, and sugar. I normally cut it out during the week, but on the weekends will splurge a little. I do eat more protein and lots of fresh vegetables. Best of luck in your weight loss. You are welcome to add me as a friend and we can motivate each other.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I find it works for me if I keep to around 100g carbs per day

Breakfast is eggs, cottage cheese, Greek yoghurt or oatmeal. Once or twice a week I'll have a slice of good quality bread (I keep it in the freezer).

Lunch is homemade soups or salads.

Dinner is lean meat or fish, with plenty of veg, and maybe a small portion of pasta/ potatoes/ pasta.

But it is a personal thing, you need to experiment and see what works for your body.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Check out marksdailyapple.com It's Primal eating..

^^ This. After a lifetime of being overweight I have lost over 100 in about 9 months on a mostly Primal/low carb lifestyle. Some days it is challenging and not always convenient but I am healthier then I have been in 20 years.
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thinking of going on a low-carb diet. Has anyone ever done one? Is so, please share!

I know the basics, like cutting out breads & starches & replacing with proteins like fish, meat & cheese. I don't know how I'll maintain nutrition. I don't know if it's even worth it, I just noticed that more than 1/2 of the food from my chart in the past 7 days was carbohydrates. Will it be beneficial to me if I cut carbs as much as possible?

I can tell you that low carb diets only work for about a third of people, and still require a 20% carb intake. another third is low fat diets, and the last third is balanced diets. the only way to know which works best for you is the ol Guess And Check method or get a genetic test done like i did, like the ones youve heard about on the news and stuff.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey I cut out all carbs for 2 weeks - it really kicked my weight loss into gear. Now I keep them under 50 g per day and I try to only eat vegetable carbs (but no corn, peas, carrots, or potatoes).

I know lots of people say it is only about calories in and calories out, but for me it did not work that way. I had to get rid of the carbs to get all that crap out of my system and get my blood sugars sorrted out first
  • LovelySammi
    LovelySammi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much! VERY HELPFUL :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Will it be beneficial to me if I cut carbs as much as possible?

Cutting calories is all that's necessary for weight loss. If cutting carbs helps with that, then it could be beneficial. But, if it's not something you plan to continue once the weight is lost it will likely not be beneficial as it could lead to gaining all the weight back once you stop.

If breads or chips are trigger foods, then it could be beneficial to limit them. And it's always a good idea to limit sugars not naturally found in foods. It's also beneficial to make sure you are meeting your fat and protein goals, which could naturally lower your carbs if you stay within your calories..
  • dortress
    dortress Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    yes, cutting carbs, in addition to eating the right amount of calories for your activity, is the best way to lose weight, as well reduce risk of diabetes, in the long run.

It's not just a matter of calories in / calories out. Ratios count and carbs - as an option component - should not be given the strongest weight.