Exercise Every Weekday Too Frequent?

Options
So I keep hearing this from people and wanted to ask the experts. I've been doing a cardio work out every weekday morning for an hour, burning 600-700 calories and people keep telling me that that's too frequent and cardio should only be done every other day or something. I know weights should be worked into there somewhere, but I just want to know if an hour a morning for five consecutive days is too much. I do listen to my body and if I'm feeling really sore or tired I skip that day and make it up during the weekend.

I find it hard to believe this is too much because for two weeks I did two hours every morning, five consecutive days and was fine. Some nights I even went back for more.

Let me know what you think.

Replies

• MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    the shred and ripped in 30 by jillian micheals is 30 days everyday. i dont see whats the bad thing about it i have yet to have a day off from it. i dont burn as much as you but ya. i think as long as you can handle it and try and eat back some of what you burn youd be fine
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It depends on the cardio. Is it the same thing every day? High impact? Etc.

I couldn't run 5 days a week. I know others who do and can, but I prefer to run every other day, and lift on my in-between days.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    the shred and ripped in 30 by jillian micheals is 30 days everyday. i dont see whats the bad thing about it i have yet to have a day off from it. i dont burn as much as you but ya. i think as long as you can handle it and try and eat back some of what you burn youd be fine

Actually, I have seen a quote from Jillian where she says she does not recommend doing those workouts every day. She said it was marketing that did that.

I do workout 5 days a week, but I change it up. I do 30DS M, W, F and the Power 90 Express cardio on T, Th. I want to give my muscles 24 hours between strength sessions to recover.
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Actually, I have seen a quote from Jillian where she says she does not recommend doing those workouts every day. She said it was marketing that did that.

I do workout 5 days a week, but I change it up. I do 30DS M, W, F and the Power 90 Express cardio on T, Th. I want to give my muscles 24 hours between strength sessions to recover.

intresting ! ignore my post than :)! i personally think ill keep doing it everyday otherwise ill stop i know myself haha
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What is Power 90 Express?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as you are fueling your body properly then not an issue. If you do not include exercise cals in your daily allotment, or are not eating back exercise cals then yes, most likely it is too much exercise.

And as long as you are not doing the same muscle groups on back to back days from strength training you should be fine
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you're doing. Doing standard cardio can easily be done 5 days a week but doing high-intensity or high-impact stuff or lifting lots of heavy weights will require some level of downtime.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on your body and goals. I know many people that go for a run every day while mixing in weights ON TOP of that every other day. I did the shred 6 days a week ( no sundays) as well as went for walks, jogs, dancing etc. If you feel like you are pushing yourself too much, you probably are. If your body is feeling a burn and you are seeing results but still manage day to day life and able to keep up with your calories then I would say go for it.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I hope it's not too frequent! I workout every week day too. That's actually my goal! Saturdays and Sundays is just leisurely stuff, but also adds up!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Found the thread that mentions Jillian's recommended schedule.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/638516-new-to-30ds?hl=30ds+podcast+rest#posts-9318275

Day 1: Shred
    Day 2: Shred
    Day 3: Your own cardio
    Day 4: Shred
    Day 5: Shred
    Day 6: Your own cardio
    Day 7: Rest

Makes sense to me. I prefer to take the weekends off though since the kids get in the way :)

Power 90 Express is a video that came with the Power 90 program (not P90X). The express video is for non strength training days.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Are you able to do your workout with the same intensity on day five as day four? If the answer is yes, then you are probably good to go. For me, I take Wed or Thurs off and workout on Saturday but I figured that out after many trials.
  • Stacie467
    Options
    Cardio, like brisk walking everyday is great. High impact or strenuous aerobics might be better every other day to prevent injury and over working your muscles. Weight training your full-body is better every other day also. Muscles need time to mend and build. It is great to change up your routine every 4-6 weeks too so your body doesn't become used to the same work-out DVD or exercise (except the brisk walking). At least that is what a great personal trainer told me a few years ago :) Good luck!
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i have been walking 5 days a week for 40 minutues and ride a bike on the sat and sun.
  • KCramer12
    KCramer12 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I workout daily and burn 400+ cals doing my cardio. I know people say take a break but if i skip a day I usually find it harder to get back into it the next day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating enough, drinking enough, and sleeping enough you should be fine.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I workout everyday but Sunday. I burn any where from 1200 to 1400 a day with strengh training every other day. I say it is up to you if you can handle it do it, just make sure you are eating enough. I eat around 1400 to 1600 a day, & I still loose weight.. 2 to 4 lbs a week..

So I say it's fine as long as you can handle burning allot..
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I think you asked this question or a similar once before but if I remember correctly you were actually working out for 4 to 5 hours a day?

Listen to your body. If you're tired take a break. And just because you take a day or two or a week break does not mean you are undoing all your hard work. Rest days are important too. Also ask yourself what are your goals? If you want to work strength training in (which everyone should make time for) it's OK to not do cardio on that day. If you like working out intensely 7 days a week...have at it. But know that it is not mandatory to log HOURS in at the gym to be fit.
  • amysuespears
    Options
    I can't speak for others, but I have been doing the 30DS every day... now that I've completed that, I do some form of cardio 5-6 days/ week and I lift weights 3 days/week. A lot of days, I go to the gym and do the circuit training so it combines my cardio and weight lifting. I think it's up to everyone to decide if it's too much for them. If you're not exhausted and you're eating enough, you will be just fine IMHO.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I workout everyday but Sunday. I burn any where from 1200 to 1400 a day with strengh training every other day. I say it is up to you if you can handle it do it, just make sure you are eating enough. I eat around 1400 to 1600 a day, & I still loose weight.. 2 to 4 lbs a week..

So I say it's fine as long as you can handle burning allot..

With that much exercise you should be eating in the 2500 cal range to lose weight, even if your MFP goal was 1200 that should be net which would be an intake of 2400-2600/day. be careful having too large of a deficit can lean to the loss of a large % of lean muscle, not the fat you are looking at dropping
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't know your age, but I'm 43 and I coach and every sport there is does 2 hour per day workouts, 6x per week. As a X-Country coach, I work out with the girls. As long as you have worked up to it, you should be fine. Like you mentioned, just listen to your body, and don't ignore nagging pains, that's the most important thing. Never doubt the capabilities of the human body. :)