30DS question..

Options
Should I be doing extra cardio on top of 30DS for weight loss? How often? What worked for you? Pictures too, if you have them :)

I'm on level 2 day 5 and I have lost 3 lbs, but I would like to lose more. I am on a processed-free diet and I'm only eating half of my earned calories back.

Replies

• rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You can do extra cardio if you want, I have been adding a thirty minute power walk but it's up to you and want your body feels you can do! Just make sure to drink plenty of water!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You'd be better off adding heavy weight training. WT will lead to great fat loss as well as muscle retention. Adding more cardio will just increase the chances of muscle loss instead of fat loss. This is even more exaggerated if you are aiming for 2 lbs a week.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I added cardio (C25k) but honestly I have no idea what I'm doing. Seems to be working though. :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't do extra cardio, if anything I add extra pushups, planks, etc.
  • KaraBoo307
    Options
    I do the thirty day shred and 2-3 miles of walking/jogging just about everyday. With that and the help of MFP, I've lost over fifty pounds since May.
  • abstrakt_star
    abstrakt_star Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do the thirty day shred and 2-3 miles of walking/jogging just about everyday. With that and the help of MFP, I've lost over fifty pounds since May.

Thank you! This is what I needed to hear. I was already thinking about starting a routine like this. Do you take any off days?
  • trkilpatrick
    trkilpatrick Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started MFP about a month ago and at the same time started 30DS with 10 days of each level moving up. Tomorrow will be day 30 of the whole kit and kaboodle. I have been also doing about 20 minutes on my elliptical on most evenings since i started and a 15 minute leisurely walk most days. I have lost a few inches and about 5 pounds since i started. It's not fast loss but it is loss and i feel a lot better in my clothes.
  • abstrakt_star
    Options
    thanks
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Here's my D1 and D17 photo
    mmtszq.jpg

I am on D23 now. I have only been doing this workout - occasional walking. I do however increase the intensity (using weights for jumping jacks, boxing, etc, before it was in L3 and I did do it some days two levels in one day one week).

If you are fixated on just weight in #s, you should avoid this workout. Its hard working but it helps burn fat and build muscle which means your weight on the scale may go up. The last two days I've been up 3 lbs since starting L3. My goal is reducing body fat so this is the workout for me and I'm so pleased with the results. Over 9% body fat lost so far.

With all that being said, I am sure if you added cardio to your workout that you would be pleased with the results! GL
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Dixie, awesome results. I want to make one correction though, you cant build muscle and cut fat at the same time. Cutting cut requires a calorie deficit (catabolic state), and building muscle requires a calorie surplus (anabolic state). What you are experiencing with the weight increases is simply due to water retention which is required to repair muscles. You can help aleviate this by eating whole natural foods (low in sodium) and eating foods high in potassium as well as drinking water. This will flush your system.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I don't do anything extra. 30DS + school + 2 year old = enough exercise for me and I'm just fine with the results it has given me. I only do it 4-5 x per week. You're supposed to give yourself at least one day per week of rest.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thank you! This is what I needed to hear. I was already thinking about starting a routine like this. Do you take any off days?

Again too much cardio will cause muscle loss and slow down the metabolism. Also, you will need to eat more calories with the more you exercise. Below is a good link to read. If you only care about weight loss then continue but if you rather lose more fat than you should weight training. Also, you should take a day off from exercise so your muscles can repair. Its critical to your bodies ability to perform athletically and ability to push it hard during workouts. If you over train, you become more susceptible to injury.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I walk my kids almost everyday. No less than 30 min 5-6 days a week (since it's still nice out), do 30 min light impact aerobics with my measley 2lb weights and if I feel up to it I will do the 30DS-1 too. I am a big girl at 235lbs and I found level 2 to be challenging. Not all those exercises are meant for someone my size so I try to make it up with cardio.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I just completed day 2. I don't exercise all too much outside of the 30 ds, but I haven't to begin with. I use my elliptical here and there, but I get really bored on it. Once my body adjusts more to the shred, I'll be adding at least 20 minutes of elliptical or a walk to my workouts.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Dixie, awesome results. I want to make one correction though, you cant build muscle and cut fat at the same time. Cutting cut requires a calorie deficit (catabolic state), and building muscle requires a calorie surplus (anabolic state). What you are experiencing with the weight increases is simply due to water retention which is required to repair muscles. You can help aleviate this by eating whole natural foods (low in sodium) and eating foods high in potassium as well as drinking water. This will flush your system.

Thanks so much! My sodium has been at an all time low but healthy low.. I'm going to look into what you mentioned about the two different states as I'm very curious. From the day 1 and day 17 pics, I lost over 13.5" all over my body but most came off my waist (over 6"!!!).

I figured its due to the muscle but I know that it can seem discouraging at first. Anyone who wants to do this program should be given the heads up about that lol. Thanks so much again for sharing this. I will try to up my potassium too and see if that helps. I'm close to my daily goal per day but I don't surpass it usually
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    On top of 30DS I take my dog for a 20-25 minute walk most days, and 2-3 days a week I'll go for a bike ride or jog.

I just finished Level 3 Day 2. I still can't do everything! Natalie is insane I swear...
  • abstrakt_star
    Options
    mmtszq.jpg

I am on D23 now. I have only been doing this workout - occasional walking. I do however increase the intensity (using weights for jumping jacks, boxing, etc, before it was in L3 and I did do it some days two levels in one day one week).

If you are fixated on just weight in #s, you should avoid this workout. Its hard working but it helps burn fat and build muscle which means your weight on the scale may go up. The last two days I've been up 3 lbs since starting L3. My goal is reducing body fat so this is the workout for me and I'm so pleased with the results. Over 9% body fat lost so far.

With all that being said, I am sure if you added cardio to your workout that you would be pleased with the results! GL

Wow, that's amazing!
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    mmtszq.jpg

Wow, that's amazing!

Thank you! I will post another picture that I took today.
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    Bump!:flowerforyou: