Protein Shakes

Options
I've been told that having a Protein Shake after a work out is good for my muscles and what not... I've also been told that they're great for Breakfast as a replacement meal....

How do you take it? How do you prep your shake (recipe) and which type of Protein mix do you prefer?

Replies

• wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    Nobody?
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use one of the follow: Optimum Nutrition, Pro Performance or Premier Nutrition. I mix in a blender bottle with water.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hey I just add mine to a shaker cup with water and ice and GOGO GOOGOO!!
  • Louiyen
    Louiyen Posts: 69
    Options
    I use to take it immediately after workout. But i gave up protein shake for a about a month and a half now. I see no point in them if you get enough protein in your daily diet. and it's really not that serious anymore to take protein immediately after workout.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I've tried Atkins protein (already mixed) and love it. I've also did a protein shake by GNC--pretty good but i have to admit the only one I found "fulfilling" (as a meal replacement) was the Atkins Shake
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like the type at walmart, it is under $15 and lasts me about a month. I buy vanilla and mix with unsweetened almond milk by silk which has 30 calories a cup.
  • mommymeryl
    Options
    I am on WW and have recently switched to protein shakes in the morning for breakfast. . .I typically workout around 6am and either have nothing or a banana before workout. When I come home, I have 1 piece of 45 calorie toast with 1 teaspoon of peanut butter.

Then before I leave house to go to work, I make a smoothie - Herbalife Meal Replacement - with skim milk its 170 caloories - with just water, its 90 - and I find it (with milk) sooooooooooo yummy, satisfying and filling. ..I rarely want a snack before 2 - 3 hours and that is not normal for me with breakfast. . .usually an hour after I eat anything, I am hungry again!
  • tkbronico
    Options
    I mix mine with 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup frozen fruit (usually blueberries). I too get most of my protein in my food, so I only add 1/2 scoop vanilla whey.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you use the search button in the message boards you will find 50 pages of info on protein shakes, which may be helpful to you. I use them for breakfast and after I lift. For breakfast I use a scoop of protein powder (I use MuscleTech), 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup of chocolate silk milk, and add ins (peanut butter, fruit, etc) and ice in a blender. After I lift I use my blender cup (the one with the metal whisk ball in it) and use the vanilla shake mix and pineapple juice and ice and shake it up.
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I really like the Prairie Naturals LeanWhey brand (in chocolate) because it doesn't include artificial sweeteners (A.S. are my biggest dietary phobia.) ;-)

I just throw the two scoops in a blender, add about a cup of skim milk (or 2%) and about a cup of ice cubes. IF I can afford the calories that day sometimes I'll add a small scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt, and blend away. Give it long enough to pulverize the ice. It tastes GREAT and provides 23 g of protein per shake.
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I drink the GNC total lean shakes(strawberries&cream) is my fav after workouts! low calories,low sugar but 25g of protein and doesnt taste like chalk! right now at GNC buy a 4pk get one 1/2off plus 20% for using GNC card :happy: