Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What should I do at the gym?

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So I'm going to the gym today. I want to loose 15 pounds so I know I obviously need to do some cardio. I was planning on using the arc trainer for 30 minutes...how does that sound? What else should I do?...I hate going to the gym

Replies

• I have just started going to the gym. Cardio is great everyday, but don't forget to include strength training. I do arms one day and legs the next, and then abs, and then start over!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    I have just started going to the gym. Cardio is great everyday, but don't forget to include strength training. I do arms one day and legs the next, and then abs, and then start over!

How long do you do cardio for?
  • I hated going to the gym for a long time then i was introduced to
    Contours...Its a ladies only gym and the workouts are like 30mins
    but usually i go over time cause I enjoy it so much. The ladies there
    are so helpful and so motivating and the workout goes so quick
    you dont get time to be bored or frustrated. Aslo its easier to get movitated
    to go they are open from 8am-9pm so it gives you plenty of opportunties
    to fit in a half an hour. Ive been going for 12mths now and lost 15kg, over
    65cm from different parts of my body and 3 dress sizes...all from eating well and
    1 half hour workout at contours gym about 3 times per week :smile:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    I hated going to the gym for a long time then i was introduced to
    Contours...Its a ladies only gym and the workouts are like 30mins
    but usually i go over time cause I enjoy it so much. The ladies there
    are so helpful and so motivating and the workout goes so quick
    you dont get time to be bored or frustrated. Aslo its easier to get movitated
    to go they are open from 8am-9pm so it gives you plenty of opportunties
    to fit in a half an hour. Ive been going for 12mths now and lost 15kg, over
    65cm from different parts of my body and 3 dress sizes...all from eating well and
    1 half hour workout at contours gym about 3 times per week :smile:

Yah the gym i go to has a 30 minute workout section. Unfortunanly it is not a just woman gym though
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Try to do cardio for at least 30 minutes. Switch around on machines to avoid getting bored from one visit to the next. (Use the treadmill, elliptical, bike or stair-stepper). You don't have to go super-hard, but should work up a decent sweat. Frequency and duration is more important than intensity, I think ... so go every day if you can (or allow yourself only a couple rest days per week) and get the 30 minutes each time (push to 40 if you can).

It's work, but for weight loss, consistent cardio is like magic ... the weight really does come off and you get better at it fast.

As others say, strength-training is important for overall fitness. Cardio is best if you want to see rapid results on weight-loss.
  • I am trying to drop 20 lbs by March...big strech goal. I do however have a personal trainer so I am doing it the right way. Her suggestion is to do your regular 30 minutes of cardio and do one of the classes your gym offers, a spin class, boot camp, upper body blast etc...I find these really helpful as well as it is doing something you have to train your body to do, in turn loosing fater:)
  • Oompa_Loompa
    I am trying to drop 20 lbs by March...big strech goal. I do however have a personal trainer so I am doing it the right way. Her suggestion is to do your regular 30 minutes of cardio and do one of the classes your gym offers, a spin class, boot camp, upper body blast etc...I find these really helpful as well as it is doing something you have to train your body to do, in turn loosing fater:)

How many days a week does she suggest cardio?
This discussion has been closed.