I just started and have a question

Options
Hi there I just started and I have a question do I have to eat all of my calories. Or can I eat less? I have 70 lbs that I want to lose and want to do this the right way. How many fruits and vegetables are we eating, I have the mentality of weight watchers.

Replies

• jyow01
    jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It is important not to eat below 1200 calories a day because your body needs this for fuel. When I first started I kept close to my calories that MVP gave me so that I would not feel like I am starving. Now some days I may go below and sometimes even over but I try my hardest not to go below 1200 calories. It is really important to eat back your exercise calories to make sure you stay above the 1200. When I first started I wanted to lose all the weight in three months then I realized that I didn't put the weight on that fast so I wasn't going to lose it that fast at least doing it healthy. I was on weight watchers to and I find this much easier and less expensive. Feel free to add me if you would like. Good luck on your journey there are lots of supportive people on here and lots of good advice. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables because they keep me fuller longer. :smile: :smile:
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Generally you should not go below 1200 calories. I'm not sure what MFP has set your calorie intake for but I would try to keep to that as much as you can. As far as the fruit and veggies......you are going to get a lot of different opinions on here about what you should and should not be eating. My suggestion is to listen to what everyone has to say and then take what they say and make it your own. We are all different and our bodies work in different ways. What works really good for someone on here may have no effect on you.

I say go for as many fruits and veggies as you can. They are good for you! Good luck with your journey and feel free to add me if you need some support!!! :flowerforyou:
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have my settings to lose 1/2 pound per week. I try to leave 200 calories at the end of the day. Notice I said TRY lol
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Weight watchers mentality fits well here...... there are some food Nazis lurking out there who will tell you you should NEVER eat this or that... Go with what works for you, don't go too low on calories...

Fruits and veggies are filling, good for you and low calorie.....

Have fun with this...
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    Definitely eat all your exercise calories back. If you are keeping track, eating 'clean' food and exercising regularly the pounds will drop off. Lots of fruits and veggies, fish and chicken and drink lots of water! Good luck!
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I net 1500 cals a day, exercise at least 6 days a week for 30 minutes to an hour each time :) Im a moderation eater. I am losing weight slow and steady! Just stick with it, keep moving, and don't let the scale discourage you. Take measurements!
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. I'd say I eat at least 90% of my calories. Maybe a little less if I've earned exercise calories, but I definitely try to eat my exercise calories. I don't like a lot of different veggies, but I try to eat a lot of the ones I do like. And, I've discovered a few more that I like. Cabbage in my taco's is one example. I find that the veggies not only help me fill up, but help with other digestive processes.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You have to be carefull about your needs. If you don't eat enough and you exercise, your body will consum the energy contained in your muscles before consuming the one contained into your fat. (I'm not sure I'm explaining it right since English is not my first language, but you can look it up, there are research about this)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Starving yourself to lose weight is an unhealthy and antiquated idea. It is much better to fuel the body with proper portions of healthy foods and be active enough to have a calorie deficit that will allow for weight loss.

Aim to eat the number of calories that MFP says you should eat in order to lose how ever many pounds you set your goal at. As another posted already pointed out, netting (that is consumed calories minus exercise calories) less than 1200 is a bad idea.

What's your hurry? I get wanting the weight off a.s.a.p. once you put your mind to it but trying to lose weight quickly usually results in putting it right back on as soon as you get to goal. A slow loss with the goal to change your eating/exercise habits for life is a much better plan.

Also, as far as fruits and veggies go - definitely eat them but unlike the current WW program, you do have to log them. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

Good luck!
  • Marilyn2405
    Marilyn2405 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating back most of your calories. If you cut too many calories, your body goes into starvation mode. If your body doesn't "think" it will get all the nutrients it needs, it will start to store the foods that you do eat as fats to protect you. Fat storage will begin to build up around your organs which is incredibly unhealthy. Food fuels your body and you need those calories to be healthy. Just make sure you are choosing healthy calories and eating them throughout the day to keep your metabolism going :)
  • starburst1999
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that has responded I am really looking forward to this journey with all of you.