PCOS and low carb

Options
It seems like most people with PCOS have success with low carb.

I'm really struggling with it, breakfast isn't so much the issue, eggs, cheese and a meat, pretty simple.

However, snacks and lunch and dinner are going to be the biggest challenges. I work a pretty physical job, I'm on my feet walk,pushing,lifting,turning etc for 8 hours a day several days a week. I need to have snacks and plenty of water to get me through my day, and the climate I work in (I live in Nevada)

It seems so unrealistic for me.

Replies

• pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just think in terms of meat and veggies.
    Tuna with salad
    Meat patty (beef, lamb or whatever) with salad or veggie
    Steak with grilled vegetables
    Chicken with sauteed spinach.

I snack on a handful of nuts, carrots, oz of cheese or sometimes a protein smoothie.
    But a snack can just be a smaller portion of meat than you'd use for a meal.

The key is to portion things out for lunch and snacks at work so they're easy to eat.

Is cheese allowed for PCOS?

A couple more ... nutbutter on celery, chicken thigh,
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I'll never eat low carb, that is just the facts.

What I do though is I limit my refined carbs. If you look at the GI index for foods, I'd recommend focusing on ones that are lower GI.

What types of snacks do you eat now?
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've learned to not really do a fully low carb diet but I have cut down a ton on carbs and have learned that if I over indulge in them the very next day my weight will be up.

Snacks I go to when I'm not sure what to have....

Reduced fat cheese sticks
    Brown Rice crackers w/ light cream cheese or laughing cow wedges
    sweet potato chips instead of regular (though I try not to have too many of those.. yikes)
    no sugar added fudgesicles
    Atkins, south beach & fiber one bars
    nuts (I love pistachios)

Also, if I'm going to eat something for lunch or dinner and would normally want something crunchy with it I make it with water chestnuts. They stay crunchy in cooking so instead of making taco meat on a salad w/ tortilla chips I put the water chestnuts in the meat when cooking. They absorb the flavor of the meat but stay crunchy so I don't need that extra crunch on the side. Just throwing it out there in case that's an issue too. (it certainly helps for me)
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and did low carb (the wrong way) for years! I think alot of people have the misconception that as long as it doesn't have carbs you can eat it, which is the misconception alot of people have of the atkins diet, even though in phase 2 and 3 you do eat carbs. I didn't find success with this and depleted my body of alot of vital nutrients. I would suggest to stick to eating veggies, lean meats, and low glycemic carbs, so essentially very close to the South Beach Diet. There are certain carbs you can eat that will not effect your blood sugar.

The reason low carb is successful is because part of the problem with PCOS is your insulin levels, so you kinda have to treat yourself like a diabetic would. But alot of people tend to do more "eat as much fat as you want as long as there are no carbs", and I don't think that is healthy. Not saying all low carbers, but alot do have that misconception, myself included back then. It isn't just about losing weight, and you need carbs - meats and cheeses do not have the nutrients your body needs, yes they have protein but not too much else - you need all those varieties of veggies, having your body nutritionally sound is the most important thing to remember. I truly believe that if we can get our bodies to optimum health ( i have done alot of holistic research on the topic), pcos can be cured, unlike modern medicine who says there is no way to get rid of it. It is a hormonal imbalance and when your body is where it should be nutritionally, it can go away. Not saying this will happen in a short amount of time, we all have reeked alot of havoc on our bodies by eating processed junk, it is definitely a lifestyle change that needs to be made and lived for the rest of your life.

I don't necessary eat low carb anymore, but eat as clean as possible, no processed or convenient foods, all whole foods, and I do eat grains, but whole grains in their natural state. And this has been working for me quite well, and you don't feel deprived. Also, beans are very very good for you and do not raise your blood sugar. My best advice would be to either follow the south beach or do like i do and eat as clean as you can. definitely alot of cooking and prep, but well worth it. I have never felt better and though I struggle sometimes with those convenient foods, as long as you stay on track the majority, they shouldn't affect you.

Let me know if this helps at all :)
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I don't have it, but I have a couple of friends that do... neither of them eat low carb... but they've given up the bread. It's been the best thing for then. They've lost weight, feel healthier, and a lot of the general symptoms have eased dramatically.
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm completely annoyed with this diagnosis, I was given metfomin, without the doctor ever telling me if I was or was not insulin resistant! I don't even have the traditional symptoms. I'm going to see another doctor on Monday to get a better idea for what exactly I have going on with me.

I think I'm going to make changes for my current grains to lower carbs, wheat,whole grain etc. I'm sorry but meat, meat and more meat really grosses me out :sick: I'm allergic to peanuts and almonds, and a lot of dairy products make me sick too. But I think just eating cleaner, and removing the processed foods out of my life may make a difference. I feel pretty hopeless right now.

This syndrome is completely overwhelming.

Thanks for all the feed back ladies, I really appreciate it.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely think a more whole foods/less processed foods diet will help you. Even if you eat animal products, a good book might be Dr Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes. Although I'm not a fan of Dr Neal Barnard, his book is solid and backed by research. Basically, PCOS patients often treat themselves as if they have diabetes because it is a good guideline and although many people with diabetes have had luck with low carb diets, there have also been many who have had luck with high carb diets. The book shows how to eat a high carb diet that will help if you have PCOS, IR or diabetes.
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. My diet consists of LOTS of fish....and Greek yogurt!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    How is it unrealistic? Hard boiled eggs, cheese, vegetables, fruit (mostly berries or melons), nuts, seeds, Greek yogurt, jerky, etc. A good deal of healthy low carb snacks to choose from and not all have to be refrigerated.
  • dortress
    dortress Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can't agree with Bellamarie's post strongly enough. Insulin resistence is a key symptom of PCOS, which mean medically recommended treatments include eating lower carb. It's really not an option if you want to stimulate your body's response to insulin and avoid diabetes.

I will say this; lowering your carbs feels daunting to you because carbs / sweets are an addiction. Our body LIKES these things and there is something to the notion of a 'sweet tooth' and a 'sugar jones'. It feel insurmountable and impossible to reduce consumption of these things because we're wired to like them.

And, like any addiction, withdrawal sucks. Big time.

BUT, I'll say that once you get over the 'hump' and have reduced your intake, you'll find the cravings for it aren't really there anymore. When I look at how I eat now, I actually make a conscious decision to put some sort of starch in there. Rice / potatoes (even sweet potatos), couscous, etc - it's all sitting uneaten on my shelves. As in: uneaten for the last 8 months. It's just not a component of my meals anymore. I have no desire for it. And, there are carbs in vegetables / fruits, the more than satisfy the ratios you need to balance your nutrition.

you'll improve your health dramatically if you work on achieving a low - at least much lower - carb diet than you're eating now.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, you don't have to cut out carbs completely, just change them...no white carbs or potatoes. That should be easy enough, everything comes with a whole grain option nowadays. That's what my challenge is right now. My insulin is perfect, in fact everything is perfect but my cortisol and my LH, meaning I still have PCOS, just not ALL the symptoms...So I'm going to up my exercises and cut the crap. Seems simple enough but it's hard when you put it to practice.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 12 years ago. Don't wig out about Metformin, but do ask why it was prescribed for you. I was given it to regulate my cycle and prevent borderline insulin issues from becoming worse. My blood work did not make a strong case for my having insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome.

I spent some time on South Beach and paid attention to the glycemic index of foods. I read a great book, The Insulin Resistance Diet - it is a bit like eating like a diabetic would, linking carbs with protein to combat the insulin spikes. It was easy to read the science and full of ideas for meals and snacks.

I am not a typical PCOS-er though. Many of the symptoms I do not have. Low carb does not mean NO carb, it just means pay attention to where they are coming from and how they affect YOU. I eat fruit in the morning because any later and I battle all day. I do better with more protein and healthy fat. I do not eat any grains or legumes - actually hinder my weight loss efforts in spite of working out like a banshee and make my hands swell (even though it is homemade and whole wheat).
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, you don't have to cut out carbs completely, just change them...no white carbs or potatoes. That should be easy enough, everything comes with a whole grain option nowadays. That's what my challenge is right now. My insulin is perfect, in fact everything is perfect but my cortisol and my LH, meaning I still have PCOS, just not ALL the symptoms...So I'm going to up my exercises and cut the crap. Seems simple enough but it's hard when you put it to practice.

Once you get over the initial withdrawn of cutting out processed food and replacing it with the healthy stuff, the cravings will go away. I rarely ever crave bad things and do actually crave the healthy stuff, as funny as it may sound lol when i eat bad i think mine is more of a mental thing, like self sabotage, which i am definitely trying to overcome, and that is when i will crave junk. But once im back on track the cravings are gone again, and immediately, not like the initial withdrawal! Good luck all! Friend me if you need extra support :)
  • amitybs
    amitybs Posts: 35
    Options
    I have PCOS as well...I eat a lower carb diet but the carbs I do have are more whole grain. Now, that's not to say I don't splurge and eat the processed foods and have a few drinks...but it's more the exception than the rule! If you eat cleaner and exercise you'll feel a whole lot better! What made a huge difference for me was logging everything I ate here and seeing where I was going wrong. The other piece of my puzzle was having the NovaSure procedure, not a good idea for women still wanting to have kids, my period is now almost non-existent, I have more energy to work out because my iron levels are up, no more cramps and my confidence is through the roof! It's a struggle and a long road ahead of you but keep with it, we can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • amitybs
    amitybs Posts: 35
    Options
    And anyone feel free to friend me, always helps to have someone support you when they know what you're going through!
  • jen350z
    jen350z Posts: 48
    Options
    I have pcos and I don't do carb diets. I did this once lost 20 and then gained it all back.

I'm all about eating healthy and working out. No eating after 5 and always within my calorie count. Lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks so I'm pretty happy with that.
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I hae PCOS and am currently trying to make my diet more GI friendly. I am eating less carbs but not cutting out to the extent that a low-carb diet would probably suggest. I am trying to eat more wholegrain stuff and eat Lower GI carbs. I also believe that the GI rating of a meal is the accumulative of all of the foods in that meal - so eating a bit of bread is not terrible as it can be balanced out by the Lower GI chicken, meat, salads, etc that are eaten with it. Eating bread on its own is the bigger problem as it causes the blood sugar problems...at least that's what I gather from reading? That is the good thing about GI - there is nothing really that is banned, you just manage the way you eat them. If you are looking for lunch things, at the moment I am working on that. I make up a big bowl of hummus, a few jars of Pesto, a bowl of roasted vegetables, maybe a bulgur salad (heavy on the added peppers, spring onion, etc.) and by making up a lunch box that is high on flavour and variety I don't miss the big portion of carb that I might have previously eaten. I add chicken or smoked salmon or fresh salmon, tuna, etc. I use maybe 3 rough oatcakes if I need something like that. I will be making up lunch boxes like this when I return to work in September. I am just figuring it all out really, but any change in the right direction is a good change in my book. I very definitely noticed a shift in my mood, energy levels and general well-being within a few days of starting. I do need to work at it and am still making mistakes I am sure, and eating things I shouldn't at times - but generally I am trying. PCOS is miserable and anything I can do to make things better is a big bonus.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Eating bread on its own is the bigger problem as it causes the blood sugar problems...at least that's what I gather from reading?
    Yes, buttering it or dipping it in olive oil reduces the blood sugar impact of the bread as the mixture has a lower GI than the bread (and the other things are carb free).
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bumping for later :)
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I picked up some diabetes cookbooks and used those to help me come up with ideas of snacks that are enjoyable. Celery and peanut butter are a staple, as is yogurt.

On top of that, I find that my body responds much better to exercise than it does to just dieting. That's the pain of PCOS... no one is the same. Experiment and find what works for you.