Women only - motivation tips?!

Options
Hey gals, this post is just for you this time because I'm having trouble motivating myself during my time of the month. Even though it makes me feel like crap, all I feel like doing is lazing and moping around the house all day. I have so much trouble picking up my bloated body and exercising. Who else has this problem? Does anybody have any tips for motivation to exercise when on their periods?

Replies

• ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I just be lazy for a few days :D I don't mind taking a few days off. As long as i am under my calories I am golden! Then pick it up after it stops
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't have this problem :bigsmile: Most women on here will agree with you though so maybe they can help. I'm all fine and dandy during my TOM...No cravings, no laziness, no b!tchiness! It's just crazy lol

However, I have always heard exercising does help in many ways during that time!
  • Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do some light yoga to relieve the cramping, but aside from that I don't work out much during that time b/c it is just too painful. Yoga seems to be the only thing that has helped so far.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know how motivating it is but I was told exercising is supposed to help relieve pain and bloating. Try taking Pamprin or Midol. If that doesn't work, then a few days off won't hurt you. I understand though. Mine were so bad, I had a hysterectomy.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem when I take some kind of birth control that makes my periods lighter, shorter, and more manageable. But if I go off of it, I am out of commission for like a week! So I generally stay on a low-dose hormone pill.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Just remind yourself that every little bit helps, and keeping with your routine on your TOM will only help your sucess throughout the whole month!! LOL or workout even when you don't feel like it and reward yourself with an equal amount of chocolate, or whatever you crave ;~) When I don't feel like exercising I do it, and push myself hard by telling myself that I can eat back *ONLY* what I burn for a treat that day.....I do this a lot haha and have started suprising myself by not always cashing in my payout!
  • gracekildoo
    gracekildoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're freakin' lucky, lol. I unfortunately go the stereotypical whole nine yards. Ugh. I've heard exercise helps with symptoms, but when I used to exercise on my dot it'd enhance my cramp pain.
  • gracekildoo
    Options
    I do some light yoga to relieve the cramping, but aside from that I don't work out much during that time b/c it is just too painful. Yoga seems to be the only thing that has helped so far.

I haven't done yoga in a couple of years, I'll have to try that! Thanks :)
  • doriyoung
    doriyoung Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Aleve or Advil is a good step in the right direction if you have pain.

There's data that suggests continuing to be active decreases cramping and bloating. Plus, any time you work out, you rev up those endorphins, which helps mood.
  • gracekildoo
    Options
    Just remind yourself that every little bit helps, and keeping with your routine on your TOM will only help your sucess throughout the whole month!! LOL or workout even when you don't feel like it and reward yourself with an equal amount of chocolate, or whatever you crave ;~) When I don't feel like exercising I do it, and push myself hard by telling myself that I can eat back *ONLY* what I burn for a treat that day.....I do this a lot haha and have started suprising myself by not always cashing in my payout!

Sounds excellent to me - I usually am in the same routine with exercise but there's something about my TOM that pushes me down. Just have to keep pushing, I guess!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Here is the secret. Exercise is known to, guess what, relive cramps and bloating and actually help you feel normal. It will actually work better then any drug that you put in your body.
  • THINk_kkaybbyx0
    Options
    i have this problem all of the timeeeee. i have the hardest time getting motivated. but usually if i have a really good day of eating i will convince myself that even a few pushups or jumping jacks or a few minutes on the eliptical will make me feel even better... specially thinking about the high-feeling after showering.

every little bit counts! just keep telling yourself that. put on your favorite show or bump up some of your favorite music and spend 10 minutes doing any kind of exercise =) it works!
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy objects.

When it's that time of the month, I just try to lift heavier objects. Works wonders for your body and your psyche.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't have this problem :bigsmile: Most women on here will agree with you though so maybe they can help. I'm all fine and dandy during my TOM...No cravings, no laziness, no b!tchiness! It's just crazy lol

However, I have always heard exercising does help in many ways during that time!

We really must be twins. I'm the same way, no change in energy or cravings during that TOM. :)
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible for the first two days of my TOM - the pain is unbearable!!! The outpour isn't even heavy either, I'm just that full of cramps it isn't funny. So for those days I watch what I eat to try and keep the calories below my limit, or I let it go and have a cheat day. Lots of Tylenol (I have epilepsy so I can't take Advil, triggers my seizures) and rest in the bed/on the couch/wherever, and on day 3, get back in the game and start exercising again. The cramps at that point aren't there, or if they still are aren't painful enough to stop me from doing it, and I always keep some kind of chocolatey treat around, like a granola bar or something like that. If I need a salty boost, I keep a travel pack of beef jerky around - I know, sounds unorthodox, but it works!!! So that's me. Who knows, maybe it might work for you too!!! :happy: