Breastfeeding...

Options
I am currently nursing my two month old daughter.

A few weeks ago, I decided to start eating right & exercising to lose weight. My daily BMR is 1,500 calories but mfp suggests eating 1,200 calories a day. Has anyone ever done a diet or tried losing weight while breast feeding? I could really use some insight, should I be eating more than what mfp suggests?

Replies

• shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Your body will make the milk regardless of if you're eating 1200 or 1500 it takes anywhere from 300-500 calories a day to produce milk. So you're already at a deficit eating your typical BMR. If you don't eat enough your body might slow/stall milk production so just be aware of that. You can eat oatmeal to help boost supply, drink non alcoholic beer to boost supply, pump some of the milk and freeze it, if you don't already. Eating broccoli and asparagus can cause baby to have gross smelling gas or poop so you might want to research other foods that might affect babe's tummy. And congratulations on your new darling, and awesome job breastfeeding. I know how difficult it can be at times. Ps my information comes from the lactation consultant I visited when my daughter was newborn. Talking to your doctor or the hospital's lactation consultant are always options if you're concerned.
  • shaxnax
    Options
    Oh and if you try eating at the 1200 mark and find yourself exhausted, then you should increase your intake... But I guess that's kind of common sense.
  • brandysparksW
    Options
    I would stay at 1500 cal. Focus on eating things like avocados, 2% fat Greek yogurts, and ot3er fruits and veggies. If you exercise you may need to eat a little Moore! And with most babies you can eat whatever you like! My 4 year olds favorite food is broccoli, maybe because I ate it so much when she was a baby! Congrats on the baby! I think being nursed is the best gift a baby can get!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Your body will make the milk regardless of if you're eating 1200 or 1500 i..... If you don't eat enough your body might slow/stall milk production so just be aware of that.

those 2 seem to contradict each other??

You can add breastfeeding to your diary by adding it to your exercise or by adding it as a meal. Either way it will give you an additional 500 calories. Kellymom.com is a great resource for all things breastfeeding. Good luck :smile: Also be sure to eat even more if you exercise.
  • Emily_fitat30
    Emily_fitat30 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am on 1360, it did put me down to 1200 & I changed it back as I found I was constantly hungry, still loosing weight so we will see if I need to drop it down at a later date! Baby is doing really well, weight gain is fantastic & content inbetween feeds (3hrly during the day) & goes 8-10 hours at night & has done from 6wks, I started this 'diet' when he was 7 days old, I also started taking a multi-vitamin with extra iron just to make sure im covered, also new advice to breastfeeding mums is to take a vitamin D supplement & this has it in anyway.
    Best of luck to you X
  • shaxnax
    Options
    I meant her body will slow or stall if she gets too crazy low, but for most people it would be fine at 1200. That's what I was told when I was nursing my bubs, anyways.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You can add breast feeding in as exercise.

You need to eat 200-500 calories beyond 1,200 if you are breast feeding to maintain proper milk supply. If you only eat 1,200 the calories you burn breast feeding, you'll dip below 1,200 and while that's not worst thing EVER occasionally but long term that's not good for your body.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

A few weeks ago, I decided to start eating right & exercising to lose weight. My daily BMR is 1,500 calories but mfp suggests eating 1,200 calories a day. Has anyone ever done a diet or tried losing weight while breast feeding? I could really use some insight, should I be eating more than what mfp suggests?

My pediatrician advised me not to cut calories until my baby was at least 6 months old and well established eating solids. Not because it would necessarily have a negative impact on my milk supply (although that can happen), but because a mother's body needs all the nutrition and energy it can get.

Your body doesn't technically burn calories making milk. It basically transfers nutrients from food you eat and converts it into breast milk. So, you definitely want to eat those extra 500 calories that your baby is consuming. After all, you ate more to feed your bay during pregnancy, it makes just as much sense to do the same while breastfeeding.

Really, you shouldn't be in any rush to lose weight. Your primary focus should be on taking care of your baby and yourself. There will be plenty of time to focus on losing weight later on.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

My pediatrician advised me not to cut calories until my baby was at least 6 months old and well established eating solids. Not because it would necessarily have a negative impact on my milk supply (although that can happen), but because a mother's body needs all the nutrition and energy it can get.

Your body doesn't technically burn calories making milk. It basically transfers nutrients from food you eat and converts it into breast milk. So, you definitely want to eat those extra 500 calories that your baby is consuming. After all, you ate more to feed your bay during pregnancy, it makes just as much sense to do the same while breastfeeding.

Really, you shouldn't be in any rush to lose weight. Your primary focus should be on taking care of your baby and yourself. There will be plenty of time to focus on losing weight later on.

Actually breast feeding DOES burn calories because it requires extra energy for your body to produce milk. You're not giving the baby your calories, you're fueling your body's milk production. If you don't believe me, just google "Does breastfeeding burn calories?".
  • NoAdditives
    Options

Actually breast feeding DOES burn calories because it requires extra energy for your body to produce milk. You're not giving the baby your calories, you're fueling your body's milk production. If you don't believe me, just google "Does breastfeeding burn calories?".

Yeah, but it doesn't burn the 500 calories that your baby consumes. It burns some, which is why a lot of women do lose weight. Just not as many as a woman should actually be consuming in order to maintain the milk supply.

ETA: I did just Google it. It only burns about 150 calories to produce 25 ounces of milk. Those calories are drawn from the fat stores accumulated during pregnancy. So yeah, it burns some, but not enough to be ultra concerned about. Just eat the extra 500 that your baby will consume, or, 20 calories per ounce pumped.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You should add 500 calories per day for breastfeeding. I've heard people can log it in their food diary and it will add 500 calories to your day. Just make sure you eat them back. Or add 500 to the 1200 manually so that your daily is 1700.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Both times I was nursing I wound up 20 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant. But it takes time. Don't try to lose all your pregnancy weight back before 6 months.

Eat well. Make sure you get your vitamins. Exercise - even if it is walking your baby in a stroller. That's good for you and your little one.

You can log your breastfeeding as an exercise - typically at your baby's age it's around 500-700 calories a day. Make sure you eat them or you will get grumpy and tired. The weight will come off anyway.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

Yeah, but it doesn't burn the 500 calories that your baby consumes. It burns some, which is why a lot of women do lose weight. Just not as many as a woman should actually be consuming in order to maintain the milk supply.

ETA: I did just Google it. It only burns about 150 calories to produce 25 ounces of milk. Those calories are drawn from the fat stores accumulated during pregnancy. So yeah, it burns some, but not enough to be ultra concerned about. Just eat the extra 500 that your baby will consume, or, 20 calories per ounce pumped.

Babies that age eat around 40-50 ozs of milk a day if they are only nursing.
  • danibrnshug
    Options
    I started on MFP when my baby was 6 weeks, I started the wrong way by only eating 1200 I felt HORRIBLE and I felt that I needed more nutrients, anyway I changed my calories for the day to 1600 so I added 400 for breastfeeding to be safe and I eat my workout calories, I feel SO much better and stronger and I have lost 28 lbs doing it the safe way my baby is almost 6 mo old now and he's very healthy and chunky, you have to be careful, exercise, take your vitamins, drink LOTS of water, and listen to your body! Good Luck! :)
  • oJulia
    oJulia Posts: 33
    Options
    I am eating around 2000 calories a day and still losing weight. Really, just eat healthy and you can pretty much eat as much as you want.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

No they don't. The average baby only drinks 25 ounces a day. That amount drops slightly once they start eating solid foods.

My current baby has never had more than 30 ounces of milk in one day. My first was the same. My son, who grew extremely fast, did drink about 36-48 ounces a day during growth spurts, and that was only after he was 6 months old.
  • LovelySammi
    LovelySammi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all very much for your replies... I decided I am going to log 300 exercise cals and eat them back. But what is strange is that most days I felt fine eating 1,100-1,300 calories. Most of the time I'd be under the recommended amount anyway but I was just worried I'd be affecting my milk supply and/or nutrients.

Always looking for more friends to have in my support system in mfp, so feel free to add if you'd like :flowerforyou:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

No they don't. The average baby only drinks 25 ounces a day. That amount drops slightly once they start eating solid foods.

My current baby has never had more than 30 ounces of milk in one day. My first was the same. My son, who grew extremely fast, did drink about 36-48 ounces a day during growth spurts, and that was only after he was 6 months old.

How many calories you burn, like any 'exercise' would be based on your personal statistics like height and weight. That is why there I gave a calorie range of 200-500. It doesn't matter how many calories the actual milk is since the volume is being replaced. According to the Handbook of Paediatric Nutrition, 25 - 40 oz. is what a child that age should be eating -- so I am not sure where you 25 ounces a day statistic comes from, but 25 ounces is light. My daughter, who was bottle fed, ate closer to 40 and she is in the 50% percentile height, weight wise - just depends on the baby. Also, you'd have to be assuming the OP isn't expressing milk for storage. My recently nursing sister in law was just here, she tells me at this point she was expressing 12-24 ounces per day, in addition to what her baby was eating -- so there is just lots to take into consideration. But milk production definitely burns a real number of calories and should definitely be eaten back if somebody is eating 1,200 calories.

OP, I am glad you're eating some of those calories back. After I had my daughter, I focused on losing the weight (I was sick during my pregnancy, so I didn't gain much -- but I still felt horrible). People frequently told me not to worry about losing the weight, blah blah. While I know it was meant in a very positive way, it ticked me off -- it's entirely ok to want to shed the baby weight, and have your own goals outside taking care of your baby.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

How many calories you burn, like any 'exercise' would be based on your personal statistics like height and weight. That is why there I gave a calorie range of 200-500. It doesn't matter how many calories the actual milk is since the volume is being replaced. According to the Handbook of Paediatric Nutrition, 25 - 40 oz. is what a child that age should be eating -- so I am not sure where you 25 ounces a day statistic comes from, but 25 ounces is light. My daughter, who was bottle fed, ate closer to 40 and she is in the 50% percentile height, weight wise - just depends on the baby. Also, you'd have to be assuming the OP isn't expressing milk for storage. My recently nursing sister in law was just here, she tells me at this point she was expressing 12-24 ounces per day, in addition to what her baby was eating -- so there is just lots to take into consideration. But milk production definitely burns a real number of calories and should definitely be eaten back if somebody is eating 1,200 calories.

OP, I am glad you're eating some of those calories back. After I had my daughter, I focused on losing the weight (I was sick during my pregnancy, so I didn't gain much -- but I still felt horrible). People frequently told me not to worry about losing the weight, blah blah. While I know it was meant in a very positive way, it ticked me off -- it's entirely ok to want to shed the baby weight, and have your own goals outside taking care of your baby.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "the calories of the milk don't matter because the volume is being replaced". That doesn't make any sense. You have to eat enough calories to actually put them into the milk. Otherwise, they would just be taken from the mother's body. So, whatever amount the baby is taking, whether it's 25 ounces (which, do some research, it's what just about every source says is average-from ob's to pediatricians, to any number of websites about breastfeeding) or whether it's 50 ounces, those calories need to be consumed (again, 20 calories per ounce of milk). The actual amount of calories burned to produce the milk is negligible, just like the calories burned to produce a pint of blood after blood donation.

So yeah, the 500 calorie estimate is assuming her baby takes 25 ounces and that she is not pumping. I'm very familiar with how this all works. I've got three kids. I pumped for 6 months (60 ounces a day, 25-30 of which my baby drank, the rest got frozen). I'm not an idiot. Stop arguing with me just for the sake of arguing.
  • NeekoM03
    NeekoM03 Posts: 27
    Options
    I am currently nursing my 3 month old and had the same questions. I suggest this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDhu8OASy-0

It's only four minutes and Jillian has some great advice about breastfeeding and weight loss.