Full time desk job, What to do for exercise?

Options
I currently work a full time desk job which leaves me sitting at a desk ALL day. Our longest days is from 9-7 of just sitting. Every once in a while I have to get up and let people through security doors but besides that, I must be at my desk. How do you guys mange to keep exercising? Would waking up early to exercise be a good idea? I feel too tired from doing literally nothing all day to want to go exercise and by the time I get home and have my dinner its almost time for bed.

Im open to any tricks and suggestions!

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    sneak it in at work!!!!!!!!!

no seriously- how many pushups, squats, dips or lunges can you sneak into a day! make it a game! i bet you can increase your weekly numbers and get a real kick out of it!
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too, and am fortunate to have a gym 2 blocks from my work so I go everyday over my lunch hour.

Even if you don't have a gym, but do get a lunch hour, you could incorporate some cardio with a nice walk or jumping jacks, etc and some simple strength moves like dips, pushups, planks etc.

Gettin up early is always an option, but I did that for a while and it's so hard for me!
  • Louiyen
    Louiyen Posts: 69
    Options
    very odd working schedule. I would wake up early in the morning if I had that schedule. Or you can have dinner at work and work out right after work.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'd say your best bet is getting up early. I've had the same problem in the past, and I always seemed to find an excuse to skip exercise when I planned to go after work...I had to work too late, or I had errands to do in the evening, or I was just too darn tired.

A friend dragged me to a 5:30am class, and it's stuck. I get my workout done early, and there are no excuses for later in the day. I'm not a morning person, but getting up early it does get easier over time.

Good luck!
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6 a.m. and work out. Since you don't start until 9, you could easily work out in the morning.
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym in the mornings by 6 AM and put in about 90 minutes. My shift starts at 10, but I have an hour commute and I don't like showering at th gym if I can avoid it

Edit: Typo
  • 55AngelH55
    55AngelH55 Posts: 117
    Options
    I try to do one minute of jumping jacks/ hour... I usually go to the bathroom to do them. lol
  • Sarahsmiles0875
    Sarahsmiles0875 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i have a full time desk job as well and asked the same thing thing and one of my MFP friends found this for me...

http://www.target.com/p/exerpeutic-portable-mini-stationary-recumbent-bike/-/A-13922721

check it out
  • Lulu4597
    Lulu4597 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try to do one minute of jumping jacks/ hour... I usually go to the bathroom to do them. lol

Not a bad idea lol
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    This article gives suggestions: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-at-your-desk

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    On part of your lunch hour. I too work at a desk all day (minus walking to the copy machine or an officer's office which I don't count). I already get up at 5:30 AM so morning exercise isn't for me. I have the good intention to exercise at night and I actually sometimes do. But more often I walk up the parking ramp next to my building on my lunch hourt. I'm not talking about going up the stairs. I actually walk up the ramp and that incline makes a much better workout than just walking.:tongue:
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    sit in your chair side ways, lock your feet under something and do sit ups. kegels. :)
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, from 9-5 I sit but when I get home I clean, cook and run the kids around so I literally relax at about 8-9....which leaves no time to workout sooo I wake up at 4:30 and get in my workouts while everyone is still in bed, I have until 6:30 before my routine starts so I make it happen! :)
  • jonielena
    Options
    Check out www.bodyrock.tv. Lots of awesome workout videos, and they are only 12 min long! At one point in my life I was working 13hr days 5 days a week, and those workouts saved me!
  • thecrass
    thecrass Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work crazy shifts and have trouble fitting in workouts but just get up 30mins early and get a intense routine together and fit it in, then when you come home do the same. that's what i try to do on some of my shifts but some i do struggle with time and energy.
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    I usually work out early in the morning. It gets your day started on a healthy note. :smile:

Also, I find that when I work out early, I usually make better eating choices (probably because I don't want to let my hard work go down the drain).
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier or workout when you get home, simples! A lot of us work full time...if it's important you'll make the time.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Schedule your workouts in the AM before work.
    Do wall push ups in the bathroom.
    You could probably do lunges/squats at your desk if you're allowed to stand while at your desk.
    Walk on your lunch break (even if it's just around your building).

I work basically 8:30-4:30 (sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later) but I'm not much of a morning person so I schedule workouts for early evening after work and then on weekend mornings. I meet up with friends for walking and running groups and take a bootcamp fitness class, meeting up with other people makes me more likely to be accountable and stick to my workouts, even when I'm tired.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job now too.. I hate it. I used to be in the back and assist actualy i was expanded duties, which means even more on your feet, to now i am sitting.

I have to really make myself do something when i get home. If i do something i find it really helps me loosen back up, i have to undo the damage of sitting all day! No circulation in legs, well you get the point. I visualize the bad effects of sitting so by the time i get home i am all to eagar to do soemthing a weight reutine or a fast cardio if i dotn have alot of time.. but something is better then nothing.. i also go for walks in the fall and spring and winter when it is not to hot during lunch..
    I also do butt squeezes sitting at work. If noonw is looking i do jumping jacks just a few, i do some yoga stretching. And if they catch me i just laugh and say hey i can HEAR my butt growing so i had to stretch it out.. :)
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I likewise have a desk job. 8am to 5pm.
    I get up early and do 20 mins of Jillian Michaels (30 Day shred) before I shower and get ready. I walk for 30 mins at lunch, and I make sure to always take the stairs. It's a 20 minute workout - that's it. If I can't fit that in somewhere I have problems, so it gets me out of bed.

That's the minimum. If i have time or i get up early enough I'll cross town and go to the gym as well before work. That's a tough one, though. I work 40 mins from home so it takes a lot of planning.

Try doing leg raises under your desk, or stand up every so often and do squats or desk pushups like the first person suggested. I find that can really energize the day. Make sure you drink plenty of water, too! It makes you have to pee so you get up for that as well.