Heart Rate Monitors?? Help!

Options
I've notice a lot of people use HRMs to count the calories they've burned during workouts. I'm considering getting one, but have some questions. I've found HRM watches and some with actual chest straps. Is it better to use a chest strap or a watch...or both? Does it make much of a difference. I'd rather just use a watch b/c I feel like the chest strap would be irritating. It is that noticeable?

Also, Is it necessary to get an expensive HRM? I'm just out of college and paying rent for the first time, so I'm on a strict budget, but I don't want to pay for junk so I'll pay more if its absolutely worth it.

Would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!!

Replies

• Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes get the chest strap, it continuously keeps track of your heart rate therefore giving you a pretty accurate calorie burn. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg, but don't go the super cheap route or you are more likely to get one that doesn't give an accurate reading, and you'll end up wanting to purchase a new one. I have the Polar FT4 and love it. I spent 80 on it I believe but you can get it cheaper on amazon!
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I bought my HRM at Walmart for $30 and it works great. I have the watch one and it's so easy to use. In regards to the chest strap, I've heard mixed reviews, so that's why I didn't get the chest strap. Also, there are 3 other coworks I workout with and we all have the same cheap HRM and none of us have any issues.
  • Blanche76
    Blanche76 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex WR 30, it only cost me $40 & works great! I would recommend using the chest strap it will give you accurate results, at first it is weird but once you get used to you dont even notice it is on..
  • nsihera
    nsihera Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have a HRM which measures my heart rate with the chest strap and records all the details like Kcals and time training etc on the watch. It's amazing as it tells me how much i am actually losing rather than the treadmill machine guessing - and at times I have found the machine to be way out and I've been burning a lot more than I thought. I would definately recommend getting one as you can track with good accuracy how many calories you are burning up and nobody knows that your wearing it so the chest strap is discrete. I use it for running, long walks, Wii games and exercise DVDs (whose calories are grossly over estimated). I'm based in Ireland but I picked one up from Argos also Lidl has very good ones which they sell from time to time!

Hope this helps!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've notice a lot of people use HRMs to count the calories they've burned during workouts. I'm considering getting one, but have some questions. I've found HRM watches and some with actual chest straps. Is it better to use a chest strap or a watch...or both? Does it make much of a difference. I'd rather just use a watch b/c I feel like the chest strap would be irritating. It is that noticeable?
    The chest strap is necessary to get a good heart rate reading. I have a Polar FT7 that I recently bought. You don't notice the strap really at all when you exercise with it. It sits right at the bottom of my chest and it doesn't move or feel scratchy when I run with it. It's just "there" and you don't even think about it really. You're looking at your heart-rate on your watch, watching for cars, looking at the ducks by the lake, no thoughts about the chest strap. I barely notice it and as a woman you probably are used to having a strap around your chest. It would sit right under your bra line.
    Also, Is it necessary to get an expensive HRM? I'm just out of college and paying rent for the first time, so I'm on a strict budget, but I don't want to pay for junk so I'll pay more if its absolutely worth it.

I bought the FT7 but the FT4 would do just fine for tracking your heart rate. This place has one of the better prices I've seen. $62.49 for the FT4 here.

http://www.pedometersusa.com/polar-ft4.html
  • CrystalBarzare32
    Options
    YEs. It does matter! I had a watch that tracked calories and it was completely off..I bought a Polar FT4 off of amazon for about $60 and it had a strap !! Its very accurate and I would recommend it to anyone!
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks iWaffle! The FT4 looks pretty good to me. Thanks you everyone for the suggestions!!
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I was curious too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    On a budget? Then save your money. Nobody in history ever needed to spend $100 to get in shape. Get your diet right by hitting your macros (free on MFP). Then pick the exercise you like to do (I'm assuming we're talking cardio here) and start doing it. Write down your baseline on a notepad (not free but <$3). Then each week try to do better than the week before. So you might need a cheap stopwatch ($20) or you might have one on your phone already (free).

Let's say the activity you choose is running. The first week you can run 1 mile in 15 mins. Try to go further each week until you can get to 2 miles in 30. Then 3 miles in 40. Now try to get to the point where you can do all 3 miles in 35. Then 30. Then decide if you want more miles or shorter time. Totally your call. Either way, it costs $0.

Getting in shape is about getting better, *not about calories burned*. Whatever you choose, (swimming, biking, kayaking, walking, running, lifting) if you spend your time getting better at it, one day soon you will look in the mirror and be amazed.

Track your time, not your calories. And if you do happen to have $100 burning a hole in your pocket, that's probably good for 3 months at your local gym, and lifting is going to get you there much quicker than bragging about the burn your HRM recorded
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Track your time, not your calories. And if you do happen to have $100 burning a hole in your pocket, that's probably good for 3 months at your local gym, and lifting is going to get you there much quicker than bragging about the burn your HRM recorded

That's good advice but I am concerned about my calorie intake because I'm trying to eat maintenance on my calories. I don't want a deficit right now. The HRM helps give me an accurate calorie count when I run outside. Granted it's easy enough on the treadmill when you know your pace but outside there are so many variables. I ran a full 5k this morning and it's good to know that I need to add 500 calories back in to my diet. That's my reason for having one.