Need salad dressing ideas

Options
Taneil27
Taneil27 Posts: 253
No more bottled stuff. I want to start making my own and need some of your ideas! :smile:

Replies

• jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    olive oil with vinegar, lemon, or lime juice and a pinch of salt and pepper is the easiest
  • judirice
    judirice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Of course, it depends what you're dressing, but I try to focus on the vinegar (red, white, balsamic, etc.) rather than the oil. Also, I use a lot of lemon or lime juice, sometimes by itself. I also use slightly steamed veggies on a bed of lettuce, which gives the salad more body and needs less dressing up. Another tip is the use of herbs and tomatoes (they give moisture + tang with the help of a little vinegar). I'd experiment and find the flavors you like and also expand the salad ingredients.
  • ninjakitty81
    Options
    ITALIAN SALAD DRESSING

1 c. olive oil
    1/4 c. cider vinegar
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. Italian seasoning
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    1 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese

In a medium bowl or a container with a lid, whisk (shake) all ingredients. Keep refrigerated.

VINEGAR AND OIL SALAD DRESSING

1/3 c. vegetable oil
    3 Tbsp. olive oil
    3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    juice of one lemon
    freshly-ground black pepper

Place all ingredients in a container with a lid and shake well to combine. Keep refrigerated. Remember to shake each time before using.

LOW-FAT HONEY MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE

1 c. apple cider vinegar
    2 tsp. honey
    1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. prepared stone ground mustard (dijon also works)

Place all ingredients in a medium bowl or a container with a lid. Whisk or shake together until well blended. Keep refrigerated. Makes 1 cup.

RUSSIAN DRESSING

1 c. mayonnaise
    1 Tbsp. chili sauce
    1-2 tsp. chopped dried chives
    2 tsp. diced pimento

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Place in a container with a lid, and refrigerate overnight. Keep refrigerated.

CREAMY HERB SALAD DRESSING

1/2 c. plain yogurt (not light or fat-free)
    1 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1 tsp. dried parsley
    1 tsp. dried dillweed
    garlic salt (to taste)

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Place in container with a lid, and refrigerate, preferably overnight.

BLUE CHEESE DRESSING

4 oz. crumbled blue (Roquefort) cheese
    1 c. sour cream
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. finely-minced onion
    1/2 tsp. salt

In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients well. Place in a container with a lid, and chill in refrigerator, preferably overnight so flavors will have a chance to blend. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

CAESAR SALAD DRESSING

1 egg yolk
    1- 1 1/2 T. dijon mustard
    1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
    1 anchovie (optional)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    juice of 1 lemon
    2 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
    1/2 c. olive oil
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I just use plain balsamic vinegar.
  • bthumudo
    bthumudo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use and make my own salsa as a salad dressing. Low calorie and tastes delicious.
  • Taneil27
    Options
    ITALIAN SALAD DRESSING

1 c. olive oil
    1/4 c. cider vinegar
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. Italian seasoning
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    1 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese

In a medium bowl or a container with a lid, whisk (shake) all ingredients. Keep refrigerated.

VINEGAR AND OIL SALAD DRESSING

1/3 c. vegetable oil
    3 Tbsp. olive oil
    3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    juice of one lemon
    freshly-ground black pepper

Place all ingredients in a container with a lid and shake well to combine. Keep refrigerated. Remember to shake each time before using.

LOW-FAT HONEY MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE

1 c. apple cider vinegar
    2 tsp. honey
    1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. prepared stone ground mustard (dijon also works)

Place all ingredients in a medium bowl or a container with a lid. Whisk or shake together until well blended. Keep refrigerated. Makes 1 cup.

RUSSIAN DRESSING

1 c. mayonnaise
    1 Tbsp. chili sauce
    1-2 tsp. chopped dried chives
    2 tsp. diced pimento

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Place in a container with a lid, and refrigerate overnight. Keep refrigerated.

CREAMY HERB SALAD DRESSING

1/2 c. plain yogurt (not light or fat-free)
    1 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1 tsp. dried parsley
    1 tsp. dried dillweed
    garlic salt (to taste)

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Place in container with a lid, and refrigerate, preferably overnight.

BLUE CHEESE DRESSING

4 oz. crumbled blue (Roquefort) cheese
    1 c. sour cream
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. finely-minced onion
    1/2 tsp. salt

In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients well. Place in a container with a lid, and chill in refrigerator, preferably overnight so flavors will have a chance to blend. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

CAESAR SALAD DRESSING

1 egg yolk
    1- 1 1/2 T. dijon mustard
    1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
    1 anchovie (optional)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    juice of 1 lemon
    2 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
    1/2 c. olive oil

Awesome ideas! TY!!!
  • TipsyT
    TipsyT Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My favorite: 1/2 avocado mashed in the bottom of a large salad bowl, add your favorite flavored white balsamic vinegar to the consistency you like (I like honey ginger or peach balsamic), add a little salt and pepper to taste.

Toss all your crunchy veggies in the dressing along with some chopped fresh fruit (mmmm....berries, pineapple or mango), a can of rinsed chickpeas, and a handful of raw unsalted sunflower seeds. Then add a whole bag of spring greens (5 oz) and toss everything together and you've just made an awesome one-dish meal for two people. It's packed with nutrients, delicious and oh so filling.

Trish

"EAT YOUR VEGGIES!"
  • rcloyd5
    rcloyd5 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My favorite is protein ranch. You put 1 cup of reduced fat cottage cheese, 1/4 cup water, and 3 teaspoons of the Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix in a blender. You blend it and it tastes almost exactly like the regular ranch! There are 55 calories in 1/4 cup and tons of protein! I just started making this and will be looking for a Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix substitute that does not have msg. I know that I can find it at Trader Joe's. I was skeptical, but yum!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    My favorite is protein ranch. You put 1 cup of reduced fat cottage cheese, 1/4 cup water, and 3 teaspoons of the Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix in a blender. You blend it and it tastes almost exactly like the regular ranch! There are 55 calories in 1/4 cup and tons of protein! I just started making this and will be looking for a Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix substitute that does not have msg. I know that I can find it at Trader Joe's. I was skeptical, but yum!

Wow! Totally gonna try this one!!! Thanks!
  • Vmg773
    Vmg773 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hatescardio
    hatescardio Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Juice some lemons - mince a bunch of garlic & mix it with some EVOO - you can add pepper to give it more of a kick but this is very simple to make & tasty too! (no need to measure - go by taste & preference)

ALSO - I just started loading my salad w/fresh pico de gallo - very low on calories but gives some serious flavor!!
  • Taneil27
    Options

Wow! Totally gonna try this one!!! Thanks!

Definitely trying this!!!!!!!