Anyone else love Yoga?

so i recently started going to yoga and i'm already hooked! just wondered what other peoples thoughts were....

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Its a great way to stretch and have a relaxing moment to yourself.

Not great for fat loss though.
  • jillymurdoch
    jillymurdoch Posts: 42 Member

Well not exactly true. True of the Hatha and Vinyasa styles, maybe... but if you've ever been to an Ashtanga class, you'll agree it's an intense workout!
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624

Not true!!
    My primary workout is Hot Power Yoga (2-3x per week) and I have reduced my BF% and gained lean muscle (per BodPod). I do not lift weight, and I have a lot of muscle definition. I take a Restorative a couple times a week as well and that is for stretching and relaxation, so it really depends on the type of class you are taking as to what you will be able to achieve.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    OP stated that she has STARTED going to yoga, that would suggest a very basic beginners set of poses, emphasizing on stretching.

Also doing yoga posses in a hot room vs a room temperature room doesn't cause any significant calorie burn.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    I LOVE yoga, but I don't do it as a physical workout. Mine is a spiritual/mental workout. I practice Kundalini yoga and after a session, I always feel like I can do anything!
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    When I "started" going to yoga, it is the same class as I'm taking now, the difference is that I am now able to complete the class with less rest (childs pose)- it's not like you have to graduate from a class to move on, that is why it is called "A yoga practice", you are never done learning what your body can do~your mind, body and class is different every time.

No one said that practicing in a hot room burned more calories, it is actually so you can go deeper in the poses. You burn a lot of calories because you are "flowing" for 45-60 minutes. There is much more to yoga than Om's, meditiation and stretching.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    There is much more to yoga than Om's, meditiation and stretching.

:huh:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    There's a yoga group here. Anyone is free to join:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group
  • I love yoga but I agree what kind you take can totally dictate your results. I use yoga as a way to get in shape and as spiritual practice I like to take Ashtanga and Kundalini classes...

Which brings me to my real complaint about yoga on MFP: I am pretty sure I burn more calories than listed in the calorie totals but whatever. I'm not really that hung up on it. I try not to eat my exercise calories anyway >_<
  • i do a kind of basic yoga atm but we did some back specific poses last week and it was really intense but i agree it does make you feel like you can do anything really sets me up for the rest of the week, i think that's the reason it love it, when im doing the poses everything else goes out of my mind and i'm really focused and i can take that feeling with me afterwards. Sorry if that sounds strange. xo
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    love, love, love it ........ not really for weight loss, but the stretch is great ...... my back feels like a million bucks :drinker: