NYC Century Bike Tour

Options
Anyone doing it? Or interested?

There are only a few days left to sign up and I really want to do it... I'm torn between the 55, 75, and 100 mile route... I'm in decent shape, but haven't biked a ton... but after some research, I've read that it's definitely possible to do the 100 mile route, especially since it's relatively flat AND there's a rest stop every 15 miles...

Replies

• ellesoul
    ellesoul Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing it? Or interested?

There are only a few days left to sign up and I really want to do it... I'm torn between the 55, 75, and 100 mile route... I'm in decent shape, but haven't biked a ton... but after some research, I've read that it's definitely possible to do the 100 mile route, especially since it's relatively flat AND there's a rest stop every 15 miles...

A lot of things to consider in it, but if you havn't done a tour, do the 55 mile route. A 50k (31 mile) route would be better, and you really should have a bike shop bike that is made for touring. IE: if your bike came from Walmart - DONT DO IT. (Yeah, it can be done, but it shouldn't be done.) If your bike came from a bike shop and is marketed as a 'hybrid' then it is iffy. I have done 60 miles on a hybrid, and it can be hell after a while, they were designed for going around town, not touring.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been biking on a regular basis I'd also suggest going for the shorter ride this time around. Even if you're in good shape a 55mile (88km) ride can be taxing. Like running, long bike rides are best undertaken when well prepared (and yes, even though it's zero impact people do pick up injuries riding - it's usually on longer rides that you discover that your bike fit needs tweaking)
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been biking on a regular basis I'd also suggest going for the shorter ride this time around. Even if you're in good shape a 55mile (88km) ride can be taxing. Like running, long bike rides are best undertaken when well prepared (and yes, even though it's zero impact people do pick up injuries riding - it's usually on longer rides that you discover that your bike fit needs tweaking)

I do a good bit of riding, and I had to take a Sag wagon from the 50 mile mark on a 60 mile ride, a number of issues came up, and on a ride like that, small problems can add up fast. I chose to stop because if I would have pushed, there was a real chance of death. Too much fluid + heat + not the best nutrition set up took me down. A 30 mile ride without a rest stop is easy enough for me, and there had been 4 rest stops on that ride that I had to stop. I really couldn't make it to the last one.