Is it possible to eat healthy AND cheaply?

Options

Replies

• FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yep.

Beans, rice, pasta, vegetables. Great thing about these foods is that they are so versatile.

One of my cheapest meals is a rice and bean dish. Heat up some black beans, garlic, onion and chopped tomatoes in a pan till a lot of the juice has evaporated and serve on top of a bed of rice. Easy, cheap, healthy and oh so filling. ^__^
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi's store near they have alot of lower prices. They have fruit, veggies along with a variety of other things. Lately Ive been hitting a flea market/farmets market for cheaper fresh fruits and vegetables- and they are better than the store!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Not that my diet is working all that great, I eat out way too often, but I wanted to know how it is possible to eat healthily and cheaply.

Between my wife and I, we spend about $130 a week on groceries and I would love to find some way to reduce those costs.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cut out the eating out. It will save you tons of money. This is coming from someone who ate out twice sometimes three times a day.

As of groceries, buy stuff that is on sale. Look for coupons.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would assume most grocery stores do this, but I'll buy things that are on "manager's special" because they are too close to their expiration date. Bags of salad or veggies, some of the pre-made stuff like salsas or yogurts, even bananas that are just starting to brown (when they are the sweetest!) I'll go a few times a week because they obviously need to be eaten immediately, so I'm not stockpiling. I'll buy ingredients for one salad or a day or two worth of fruit and then go back later in the week and see what's on special then. I obviously can't do that with my whole grocery list, but it's actually impressive how much it ends up helping my monthly grocery totals.
  • Jexebel
    Jexebel Posts: 67
    Options
    I am eating the bars to save time, actually. Those are expensive but, they are organic! I usually eat two bars and eat a 3rd bar for a snack later in the morning, but I get busy at work and just put my food in at one meal. we've only been buying them on sale, to a tune of about 50% off lately. When I am not eating those bars, I am eating an egg-white, turkey sausage and english muffin sandwich.

with my tree nut allergy, I can't eat so many breakfast foods, in a timely fashion.

I drink the diet dr peppers for the caffeine, since I have never developed a taste for coffee. Additionally, I alternate between frozen meals for lunch and cooking chicken tenderloins and a side salad, which I make at home.

For the past year or so, we've been making a few meals from the I Can't Believe its Not Fattening! Cookbook, but I feel like we're burnt out on those. I guess I need to adopt the workout diet, baked chicken and rice, 5 nights a week.

Just because something is 'organic' doesn't automatically make it good food, or cheap or something you whould be eating. Cut out the frozen meals and cook meals at home in bulk that you can take to work. Buy oatmeal and eat that instead of granola bars--will be cheaper. The quick oatmeal takes like 5 mins to prepare.

Do you really need 2 or 3 cans of dr pepper? everyday? Fritos? All adds up.

And there is no such thing as a 'workout' diet. I certainly do not eat backed chicken and rice 5 nights a week. My diet is quite varied, as I'm sure most people who have lost weight and maintained. There isn't oly one cook book in the world with healthy recipes. Use the internet. I think your biggest problem is that you eat out too much, which you know already. So stop eating out so much and start eating in. How can you assume it's expesive to eat healthy when you don't yet? Also stop making excuses for your choices.
  • TehSeed
    TehSeed Posts: 5
    Options
    When I lost my first 40 pounds on this site, people were much friendlier.

I have maintained my current weight for probably a year now, so I have hit a plateau and was looking for helpful selections.

Sorry I asked.

I'll go back to lurking.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything you need to know on this subject, including recipes: http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/
  • TehSeed
    TehSeed Posts: 5
    Options
    great link, that was something that will help immensely!

+100 to you, HealthyBodySickMind
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Things like quinoa go a Loooonnnnngggggg way. 1 cup of uncooked quinoa makes 3 lunches for me. I mix it with salad leaves, feta, beetroot and chicken fillet cooked. It's filling and good for you.

Stir fry veg is cheap and very filling esp mixed with chickpea's.

I batch make food for the freezer: spicy lentil stew, bean soup, chilli. It's so cheap to make all of them, load them with veg and off ye go.

The key is making the food yourself, not buying pre-made 'healthy' meals. Good luck.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    great link, that was something that will help immensely!

+100 to you, HealthyBodySickMind

You're welcome :)
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    YES.

Buy generic.

Check out the reduced section in produce.

Look for manager's specials in the meat department.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I spend about $100-130 every week as well. We hardly ever go out to eat (only when it's with friends/family or a special occasion like a birthday). Every Sunday I roughly plan meals out so that we don't buy too much or not enough. It works out pretty well, but yeah, that's what you're going to spend. The more expensive things, like chobani yogurt, clif and luna bars, almond milk, lean meats etc. are things that we are not going to give up just to save a few bucks. Fortunately, produce is generally really cheap and make up the bulk of our meals.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am eating the bars to save time, actually. Those are expensive but, they are organic! I usually eat two bars and eat a 3rd bar for a snack later in the morning, but I get busy at work and just put my food in at one meal. we've only been buying them on sale, to a tune of about 50% off lately. When I am not eating those bars, I am eating an egg-white, turkey sausage and english muffin sandwich.

with my tree nut allergy, I can't eat so many breakfast foods, in a timely fashion.

I drink the diet dr peppers for the caffeine, since I have never developed a taste for coffee. Additionally, I alternate between frozen meals for lunch and cooking chicken tenderloins and a side salad, which I make at home.

For the past year or so, we've been making a few meals from the I Can't Believe its Not Fattening! Cookbook, but I feel like we're burnt out on those. I guess I need to adopt the workout diet, baked chicken and rice, 5 nights a week.

Instead of the granola bars, you could have some 100% whole wheat toast with peanut butter for cheaper than granola bars, even at half off, and just as fast. You could make your own baked oatmeal bars, too, and that would be cheaper and just as fast. Instead of frozen meals, buy some cheap Ziploc containers that are short and square. When you cook dinner, make an extra serving or two and freeze the extras. Much cheaper than frozen dinners, even when the frozen dinners are on sale. Make more casseroles and dishes that use meat as an ingredient instead of the star. Soups, stews and chilis are good, too. Add beans to recipes for more protein and as a filler for cheap.

Honestly, if you really want to reduce your food budget, then cutting out the diet soda will go a long way towards reducing. Not saying you have to do it, because I have my Diet Pepsi instead of coffee, but I just accepted that I will be spending more on groceries than I would like as long as I'm drinking pop.
  • Jacks039
    Options
    ground turkey X 3
    brown rice
    mixed vegetables X 5
    organic 2% milk
    cliff bars
    almonds
    bananas
    apples
    Boar's Head Buffalo Chicken Deli Meat
    baby spinach X 2
    ground 100% white chicken X 3

all of this ran me right around 70 dollars and I can last through the entire week and then some. yes its boring and repetative, but its worth it when you take off your shirt and are completely satisfied with the hard work that youve put in with your workouts and dieting.

p.s. I hate the word "Diet"....think of it more as "Healthy Lifestyle"
  • littlecar1
    littlecar1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think the key thing to eating cheaply is planning.

Earlier this year my income stopped for a while, so I had to save money, & I definitely ate more healthily during that period then normal, but that was because i planned what I was going to eat. I used my slow cooker to make large meals bulked out with loads & loads of cheap veg, then froze the left overs. I made sure that I planned meals to use up all of the stuff I had in the fridge rather than having anything that went off & needed binning.

By using the slow cooker I could use the cheaper cuts of meat with no problem, & frozen veg are cheaper than fresh a lot of the time. I didn't eat anything organic as it is expensive and I bought all of the supermarket cheapest own brands instead of the well known brands - you really can't taste any difference when you are using it in cooking.

Even though I am now solvent again I am still following the same guidelines for food now & I am still saving money.
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Below is a typical day and how much it costs me. The costs could be lower but I have particular things I like so I buy them (cherry tomato, reduced sodium turkey ect). If you want to see the nutrition info I have an open diary.

Breakfast

$0.18 Blue Diamond - Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk, 0.5 cup
    $0.35 Banana
    $0.31 Nature's Own - 100% Whole Wheat Thin-Sliced Bagels, 1 bagel
    $0.13 Great Value- Red Raspberry Preserves - Sugar Free - 12.75 oz Jar, 1 Tbsp
    $0.42 Great Value Strawberry Awake 1 cup

Lunch

$0.12 Sargento - Ultra Thin Swiss Cheese, 1 Slice,
    $1.09 Dilusso Deli Company - Reduced Sodium Turkey Breast, 2.5 oz
    $0.43 Joseph's - Flatbread Honey Wheat Made With Flax and Oat Bran, 1 FlatBread, 2oz, (56g)
    $0.41 Marketside - Fresh Spinach, 1 cups
    $0.56 Breakstone's - 30% Less Sodium 2% Milkfat Cottage Cheese, 1/2 c (124g)
    $0.33 Jell-O Kraft - Sugar Free Jello, 1/2 cup
    $0.66 Grape Tomato - Grape Tomato, 10 grape tomatoes

Dinner

$0.22 Great Value - Instant Brown Rice, 0.5 cup raw (makes 1 cup prepared)
    $0.59 Generic - Cauliflower- Boiled, Mashed, W/O Salt or Butter, 1 cup mashed
    $0.78 Generic - Chicken Breast , 6.25 ounce
    $0.80 Dannon – Vanilla Non-Fat Greek Yogurt, 1 Container

Snacks

$0.50 Fiber One - Fiber One Bar, Oats & Chocolate, 1 bar
    $0.25 Generic - Celery Sticks 10cm (4inch) 111 g, 55.5 g
    $0.24 Crispak - Peeled Baby Carrots Snack Pack, 1 package (2 oz)

Grand total: $7.38
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I spent about $230 on groceries for the next two weeks (for 3 people)... but to be honest, $20 was diapers, $13 was for paper towels... and there were a few other non-food items in that grocery bill.

However, this is what I do and have done since I got married and could grocery shop regularly. I make a "menu" of things to make for the next two weeks (I leave at least two days open to eat out) for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I usually try to find one or two things that I can make in bulk for breakfast (like breakfast burrito's or baked oatmeal) that will last for the week or so. I make a grocery list off of recipes for that "menu". Then I look at the sale papers between two stores (usually Target and Safeway, because I like these stores better and they are closest to my house... you can do more or less depending on your area and what's around you and time you have)... from the sales, I pick out a few items of fresh produce that will last us throughout the week that are on sale and then go from there. Safeway has an app now (at least it does in our area) where you can use your smart phone to load coupons onto your card and take the sales flyer to comparision shop... anyway, I try to not deviate off of the list too much..

But menu planning and using the flyers/coupons is what helps me the most. I will also buy a bit extra meat when it's on sale as well... that way that helps in the future.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    I feel your pain. I eat mostly organic and therefore my grocery bill is high. I save $$ on produce by subscribing to a farm share that lasts me througn the summer and then some.
  • PurrfumeGIrl
    PurrfumeGIrl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. We eat extremely healthy at our house. I feed 3 (my guy and my 86 yr old mom) on about what you are spending sometimes a great deal less. I can do dinner for 3 on less than 10.00. With the exception of my breakfast cereal, we don't eat really eat processed foods. I cook everything from scratch (except for whole wheat pasta).

I don't shop at the beginning of the month (first 5 days) because IMHO the prices are always more since everyone has just received their SS checks. I stock up towards the middle and end of the month when stores lower the price. I use coupons when available but generally since I buy fresh there aren't that many coupons. I also plan my meals. A big batch of pasta will feed the 3 of us for 2 dinners.

I shop a couple of times a week. I do one regular grocery shop and then a Trader Joe's shop. I know what items are best at each store and what are good deals. I read the circulars that come out on Tues and shop on Wed/Thurs.