Ladies I need your help!!!!

Options
My wife has decided to join my weight lose journey and Im so proud that she has decided this on her own. Its been about two weeks and she has lost 10lbs. Unlike me, she has to see a workout in a fun way instead of just doing it to get fit. So with my background I was able to do just that. my methods have been working and she is really good at hitting her calorie intakes daily. Lately she has plateaued and now she is feeling discouraged and she is an emotional eater and I try to encourage her and get her to workout but her workouts have been halfassed because of it. I would tell her what I would do to get over the plateau but she just doesnt want to hear it. I know that men have it easier when it comes to weightloss and Im running out of ideas. Any advice ladies?

Replies

• thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    It depends on your wife's personality, but for me--when my hubby (or anyone else for that matter) tries to push me to do something, I push BACK, hard. Even if they have my best interests at heart, I just can't seem to help the push-back reflex. If she's anything like me, there's not a thing you can do. She will have to decide on her OWN that she wants this. Once she decides, and I mean REALLY decides, there'll be no stopping her!

However, if she's a little bit less of a B&*%H than me, :laugh: --maybe you could encourage her to get involved here on MFP, get some other awesome and motivating female friends to help keep her encouraged and motivated. Other than that, I think you should just lead by example and don't push her. :smokin:
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that she's only been on this journey for two weeks? If that's not a typo then I don't call that a plateau!
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    She lost a lot weight in a short amount of time,she should change up her workouts body gets use to the same thing.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If she lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks, tell me her dang secret!!!
  • beast8618
    beast8618 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that she's only been on this journey for two weeks? If that's not a typo then I don't call that a plateau!

She isnt seeing any more results and is getting discouraged. She wanted to break my weightscale! lol
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    She should be giving us advice...not the other way around!!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    She lost a lot weight in a short amount of time,she should change up her workouts body gets use to the same thing.

This, also make sure she's actually eating enough. If she's doing the 1200cals. a day, it may not be enough food! Also make sure she's drinking her 8 glasses of water every day.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    She hasn't qualified for being in a "Plateau" yet. She lost 10lbs in 2 weeks?

Tell her, realistically, she should be losing 2lbs MAX per week. The first 2 weeks was her body shedding off water weight, possibly from cutting out a lot of high sodium foods.

This is a lifetime commitment. It is not a rollercoaster ride.
  • beast8618
    Options

Thats the thing! my workouts havent been the same so I could keep her interest in her weight goal. We have only had to repeat one of my workouts so far.
  • selzam2
    selzam2 Posts: 34
    Options
    Try to get her to see this "plateau" of hers in a different way. She lost 10 pounds so far, and merely maintaining is far better than GAINING! After only 2 weeks, as others have pointed out, it is hard to get a clear picture of how long term weight loss will actually work for her. Explain that if she gives up now she will wish she hadn't down the road. Good luck!
  • thistimeismytime
    Options

She isnt seeing any more results and is getting discouraged. She wanted to break my weightscale! lol

She sounds like she has unreasonable expectations. She's going to have to be more patient than that!! 2 weeks?! That's NOTHING!! How much weight is she trying to lose??
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    To break the plateau I would pre plan 3 days of heavy cardio (2 hours a day), eat 1000-1200 calories of only healthy foods (low fat, low sodium, high fiber) and drink as much water/plain tea as possible. This works for me when I hit one!
  • thistimeismytime
    Options
    To break the plateau I would pre plan 3 days of heavy cardio (2 hours a day), eat 1000-1200 calories of only healthy foods (low fat, low sodium, high fiber) and drink as much water/plain tea as possible. This works for me when I hit one!

This is very extreme. :huh: Patience works too.
  • beast8618
    Options

She sounds like she has unreasonable expectations. She's going to have to be more patient than that!! 2 weeks?! That's NOTHING!! How much weight is she trying to lose??

I believe her goal is a totally of 50lbs. Her arms and legs are starting to get cut and I told her she replaced fat with muscle but any negative will replace any positive i guess.
  • katierechgomez
    Options
    Yeah I want to know what she is doing because it sounds like she is doing very well. But I completely understand her frustration...I think if my husband and I were both trying to lose weight at the same time, that would make it hard for me too because I would always ompare myself to his progress...etc. Plus, even though you are trying to be supportive by encouraging her to workout..etc...it may actually be causing her to feel worse and withdraw. I know that my husband isn't trying to lose weight right now (but of course I am) and when he tells me things like "should you really eat that?" or whatever, I get so mad. I just want to scarf tons of food. Of course I am very sensitive.
    But I agree with what others have said---you shold recommend this site to her. It has been great!
  • beast8618
    Options
    Yeah I want to know what she is doing because it sounds like she is doing very well. But I completely understand her frustration...I think if my husband and I were both trying to lose weight at the same time, that would make it hard for me too because I would always ompare myself to his progress...etc. Plus, even though you are trying to be supportive by encouraging her to workout..etc...it may actually be causing her to feel worse and withdraw. I know that my husband isn't trying to lose weight right now (but of course I am) and when he tells me things like "should you really eat that?" or whatever, I get so mad. I just want to scarf tons of food. Of course I am very sensitive.
    But I agree with what others have said---you shold recommend this site to her. It has been great!

After reading this, Im starting to think maybe she is comparing herself to my weightloss. You think I shouldnt tell her how my weight goal is going or what?
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

After reading this, Im starting to think maybe she is comparing herself to my weightloss. You think I shouldnt tell her how my weight goal is going or what?

Absolutely! Being a man you will find it MILES easier to lose weight. If possible you need to stop comparing to each other, maybe find some same-sex friends to use as support.
    I think you need to encourage, but back off from coaching or comparing with her. Would she be able to add in some more "girly" things to do? Zumba is great for everyone, but very few men go to the classes I've been to. Same with aquarobics, aerobics & other classes that boil down to "exercise to music".
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If she needs fun exercise, get her the entire set of Richard Simmons Sweatin' To The Oldies DVD's! :laugh:

I've had these workouts for DECADES (literally) and never get tired of them. I incorporate some high impact moves and hold hand weights to increase the intensity of them.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I also need my cardio to be fun in order to get motivated. The winner for me is dancing. A very close second is rollerblading. There is also stuff like swimming, adult beginner gymnastics, boxing, kickboxing or other martial arts,bike riding, rock climbing, perhaps a sport like tennis, soccer, etc. There are tons of meetups and such where groups get together on a consistent basis which would help keep her motivated. As long as it's out of the ordinary and you can meet fun new people, you can get an awesome cardio workout without even thinking about it. Hope that helps!
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If she's replacing fat with muscle, consider getting a scale that doesn't show only weight, but also body composition so she can see that too. She needs to adjust her expectations - if she wants to lose 50, she didn't put them on over night ,they won't come off overnight. I'm looking to lose about 70 pounds and figure it will take me about one year.