My weight loss has stalled!!

Options
My weight loss was progressing just as my plan specified it would, 2 lbs/week. Then, as I reached 30lbs lost, progress stopped. Staying with my plan, I haven't lost anymore weight in almost 5 weeks!! I don't understand what's going on. I've even recalculated my calorie limit to adjust for my weight loss, but stil nothing. Starting to lose motivation and discipline. Any ideas, recommendations??

I'm happy for the 30lbs lost, but I'd like to keep going. HELP!

Replies

• tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Cannot help you a whole lot without access to your diary. My first instinct is to tell you to add a couple hundred calories a day, but without seeing your diary I cannot be sure.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    your diary is locked. so you will get 2 sorts of replies:
    1. your diary is locked
    2. random advice which may be irrelevant
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck too. It sucks.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    How much more do you have to lose?

I too have hit a wall. I lost 16 lbs my first month and almost done with my second month and only 4 lbs. I keep reading that since this already calculates a deficit that I should eat to or even a little over my calorie goal each day. It's been tuff to get in that many "Good" Calories. I'm going to give it two weeks to see if something changes. I'm still over 300 lbs so I don't believe this should be happening.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    When my weight loss stalled I changed my exercise routine.

I did a couple of major workouts per week that burned 800-1,000 calories each. But kept my caloric intake the same.
    I saw the weight drop right after. Some refer this to 'zigzagging'.

I call this 'jolting' the body!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    your diary is locked. so you will get 2 sorts of replies:
    1. your diary is locked
    2. random advice which may be irrelevant

DITTO!
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories to maintenance for about 1-2 weeks then back down to the 1420 that MFP set for me. Reset my metabolism that way and never gained from eating more either. Also, pushed for running when I was very comfortable with my fast walk routine. Loving the running now, crave it even more than food :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    ^^This lady gets it. Diets are not meant to be done for too many consecutive weeks or months.
  • ReneeJ814
    ReneeJ814 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking 8-10 cups of water a day? If not, I recommend increasing your water intake. That's what I did after a 6 week plateau and I've been losing consistently since then. I never understood why it was so important to drink water. Now, I'm a firm believer in the water.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Aloha,
    When I started this journey, I had no idea how to go about losing weight the correct way, without hurting myself and without being hungry all the time. I found out from all the knowledgeable folks here on MFP that neither situation has to occur if you are losing the weight the proper way. I read the newbie posts on the forums a couple of times and ended up here:
    IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12, read the instructions. Dan lays everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.
    Then I acquired some spreadsheets from JamaicaLady that helped out and confirmed that I was indeed losing lean muscle along with weight. Now I know how to do this thing without losing muscle mass. In this folder are some more tools to help you track and keep things in perspective and some motivational backgrounds and the like. Good Luck!

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit

Please feel free to download, copy and SHARE anything in the folder. I believe in “Paying it Forward” as HelloItsDan says….

If you have any difficulty with the spreadsheets let me know and I will give you a hand!
    My email is: mikeschratz@gmail.com
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    When my weight loss stalled I changed my exercise routine.

I did a couple of major workouts per week that burned 800-1,000 calories each. But kept my caloric intake the same.
    I saw the weight drop right after. Some refer this to 'zigzagging'.

I call this 'jolting' the body!

So if you're daily goal was say 1500 calories, you would eat that 7 days a week w/o eating back any exercise calories and do 2 major workouts?
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    In over 9 months I have stalled out twice and for only a week each. I'm impatient so I didn't let them go longer then that.

1 - Don't up your calories. No, you do not need to.
    2 - Change your routine. Do you always do cardio? Cardio is not the best choice for weight loss. Strength/Resistance training is the better choice.
    3 - Change up your diet. Eating a lot of carbs? Cut them in half and up your protein to compensate for the loss of those carb calories.
    4 - Don't want to change your routine? Then just don't workout for 3, 4, 5 days in a row. It is still a change and your body will still react.

Try the above. They work for me and certainly worth giving them a chance as unlike upping your calories, these will not make you gain during the change.
  • rriley616
    Options
    I've never tracked my water intake, but I can definitely say my water intake has reduced in recent weeks. I'll make that my first place of change to get back on course. Thanks!!
  • rriley616
    Options
    I've never tracked my water intake, but I can definitely say my water intake has reduced in recent weeks. I'll make that my first place of change to get back on course. Thanks!!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Switch it up. You need to confuse your body to lose weight.
  • LaMonicaD
    LaMonicaD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also stalled.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump