Lightheaded during exercise.

Options
Vx3_
Vx3_ Posts: 102 Member
Hi guys! I'm posting this topic because I would like some answers to my question. I am doing the insanity program for exercise (I do it in the morning while my child is sleeping). I eat the "healthy heart" serving of oatmeal (3/4 dry oats with 1.5 cups of fat free milk), sometimes adding yogurt, or cinnamon, with 8oz of bagged green tea and a multi vitamin. I would wait an hour, hour and half then start exercising. In the middle or towards the end, I get lightheaded frequently that I have to take a few 4 seconds break. I drink approximately 21ozs of water during the exercise. I burn at least 650 calories as well.

What is your advice to reduce the risk of getting light headed? I push myself very hard during exercises, no matter what I am doing. Just some thoughts. I don't want anyone finding me on the living room floor passed out lol.

Replies

• LyssaHewitt
    Options
    It might be your blood pressure. I have really low blood pressure usually and whenever I do hard-core cardio workouts I often get lightheaded and on occasion I have been known to actually pass out. There's not much you can do about it other than change the workout you're doing and try something less intense. Maybe try checking your blood pressure and see if it is low or not.
  • redlady82
    redlady82 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like you have too much sodium prior to workout I know that can really do it sometimes. Have you paid attention to your breathing? If you aren't breathing with a good rhythm and taking deep breaths to keep oxygen flowing appropriately this could be part of the problem. Also did you recently just start these workouts? You might want to work your way up to the insanity workout since it seems you might be overexerting yourself if it's not the oxygen intake. That's assuming it's new only. Hope this helps in some manner.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was severely anemic, and that caused me to get lightheaded. Especially when dieting (no red meat, etc) you can become anemic very easily.
  • Vx3_
    Options
    It might be your blood pressure. I have really low blood pressure usually and whenever I do hard-core cardio workouts I often get lightheaded and on occasion I have been known to actually pass out. There's not much you can do about it other than change the workout you're doing and try something less intense. Maybe try checking your blood pressure and see if it is low or not.

Thank you, I will call my doc to see if he availb to check it. =)
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like your not fueling your body for the kind of workouts your doing.... just a thought. I also have been lightheaded lately and found out my BP was really LOW... I have increased my calories and for me my sodium because I had been keeping it very low as well. Both have helped me anyway. Good luck.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Be very careful with this! You should see a doctor and find out if Insanity is too intense. I do the program as well, but the only time I have had a problem with lightheadedness is when I don't have enough carbs beforehand. Also, make sure you get a calorie-burning monitor because Insanity may not burn as many calories as you think!
  • Vx3_
    Options
    It doesn't seem like you have too much sodium prior to workout I know that can really do it sometimes. Have you paid attention to your breathing? If you aren't breathing with a good rhythm and taking deep breaths to keep oxygen flowing appropriately this could be part of the problem. Also did you recently just start these workouts? You might want to work your way up to the insanity workout since it seems you might be overexerting yourself if it's not the oxygen intake. That's assuming it's new only. Hope this helps in some manner.

I'm going on week three, and it began to happen to me half of the second week. I will find a way to increase my sodium intake. My breathing is fine, but I might not realize it. I will focus on my breathing more tomorrow too. Thanks, I really appreciate it.
  • Vx3_
    Options
    I was severely anemic, and that caused me to get lightheaded. Especially when dieting (no red meat, etc) you can become anemic very easily.

Anemia runs in my family, which is why I take multi vitamins.
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Most times lightheadedness is a sign of over-exertion. It uesed to happen to me when I did heavy squats. Also in excersises where you bend over and lift up be sure to focus your vision on a single object. If you havent excersised in a while, then you may need to slow down a bit then build back up. Hope this helps.
  • medangel06
    Options

I had the same problem starting Couch to 5K. I went to my doctor because even when I did just P90 not P90X, I would be so red in the face and huffing, puffing, and hard to breath. I have exercise induced asthma. My inhaler made ALL the difference. So keep an eye on it. Talk to you doctor about your symptoms and I am sure in no time you will be able to push yourself as hard as you want again.
  • Vx3_
    Options
    Be very careful with this! You should see a doctor and find out if Insanity is too intense. I do the program as well, but the only time I have had a problem with lightheadedness is when I don't have enough carbs beforehand. Also, make sure you get a calorie-burning monitor because Insanity may not burn as many calories as you think!

This makes me think I should push it back further in the day. Thanks
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    dehydration
  • Vx3_
    Options
    Looks to me like your not fueling your body for the kind of workouts your doing.... just a thought. I also have been lightheaded lately and found out my BP was really LOW... I have increased my calories and for me my sodium because I had been keeping it very low as well. Both have helped me anyway. Good luck.

I'm glad you're able to stabelize your BP. I should check mines out as welll. Thanks.
  • lookatme09
    lookatme09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Before such an intense workout, you need to add more carbs which is like gas for the car to run. Have something for then the oatmeal. Maybe add an banana and the yogart. It happened to me too and the extra food made me work harder
  • Vx3_
    Options
    I'm overwhelm by the response I am getting quickly. I will take every single advice seriouisly, and fix myself before I hurt myself. Thank you so much guys!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Maybe more water would help? I get lightheaded during work outs too, and a lot of the time more water helps. the rest of the time It's my breathing. So make sure you're breathing right!
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Thank you, I will call my doc to see if he availb to check it. =)

You can usually find a machine at a drug store or sometimes even grocery stores where it's free to get your BP checked.