Overcoming a Weight Loss Plateau

Options
I have recently lost just over 50 lbs (since July) and think I have hit a plateau. Until about a week ago, I was running on an arc trainer for 60 mins/4-5 times a week and burning about 900 calories a workout. I am confused about what I should change in order to overcome my plateau. Does anyone have any specific suggestions? I like working out and am committed to it, I just don't know if I have the time to commit more than 60 mins to cardio and I am scared to change my calorie intake. I would really like to lose 40 more to be at a healthy weight.

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Change up your workout, your muscles are used to what your doing so that will help a lot, add strength training too, and are you eating your exercise calories? You should be eating most of them.... good luck!

~Leash :heart:
  • TamaraRR
    TamaraRR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    my guess is your body is use to the exercise your doing to it, i kno stair masters always kill me, and step aerobics makes you move in all sorts of directions. just shake it up a bit.
  • Mandillynn
    Options
    Changing how you exercise might work. I'm no expert, nor did I do any research, but I heard that you have to change up your exercise routines. Eventually, your body will get used to the work out. You can keep doing it to remain healthy and where you're at right now, but you want to lose more, so that's my suggestion. Change your workout.
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    I think I am going to try step aerobics and add strength training, but does anyone know if I can go back to the cardio on the arc trainer and if so, how long do I wait before I go back to doing that?
  • Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body. Everyone responds differently to things but if you alternate days on the arc trainer with the new workouts, your body should respond to that. You don't have to give up your favorite exercises because of plateaus but just add new ones in so your body doesn't feel like it's doing the same thing over and over!

Good Luck!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are VERY efficient and are always looking for a challenge so you are probably stuck in a rut. Your body has mastered that exercise so you for sure need to change it up. Our bodies love something that is called progressive resistive exercise which just means that you have to keep challenging it so you see change and progress.

It works the same way for weight lifting. You need to constantly change the weight, number of reps and exercises to keep moving forward.
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions..........I will let you guys know in a couple of weeks if it worked!
  • rcbulmer219
    Options
    Incorporating strength training is a HUGE step! By building your muscles, you will begin to burn off more calories on a daily basis. As a woman, you have about a 0.60% chance (less than 1%) of becoming 'muscle bound' as most women do not naturally produce the testosterone needed to 'bulk up' so don't worry about that. Instead, focus on high reps with low weight. Example: Bicep Curl. Do 5 sets using ultra low weight. 30 reps at 3lbs 25 reps at 5lbs and so on at what ever weight you can handle. If your gym doesn't have dumbells that weight, I am sure they have barbell weights (the weights that go on a straight bar) in 2.5 lbs. They are easy to grip.
    One advice I can give you is you could buy one of two programs that have worked wonders for my wife. A) P90X - Beach Body. Very Hardcore! Go to their website and take the pretest to see if it would be the program for you at this time. If not, work towards it. The workouts are 60 mins or so, very intense and will incorporate anarobic (weights) and aerobic exercises together. She has firmed up, gotten a hell of alot stronger and dropped over 20 lbs in 2 months!!! (With diet of course)
    B) The other is a book, Body for Life by Bill Phillips. This will give you step by step instructions on how to incorporate weights and do it in a timely manner so you aren't adding minutes to your daily routine. I'm not big on his philosphy section of the book (meditation etc) but the rest is very sound advice.
    Best of luck to you, however, if you put your mind to it, luck has nothing to do with it!!!