What do you eat post-run?

Options
Just curious what you eat after a run? I have been doing C25K and just finished Week 5 Day 3, finally getting there BUT I am STARVING after. I am trying to figure out what is the best to eat afterward so I am not so hungry but also don't ruin the work I had done!

Replies

• mumi
    mumi Posts: 24
    Options
    I usually run before dinner cause I am also starving after. I just eat what I would normally eat for dinner.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I eat pretty much everything I see for the remainder of the evening.

Either that or I fill up on water and have a hard time eating anything, even a small meal.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I usually run before dinner cause I am also starving after. I just eat what I would normally eat for dinner.

I am afraid I ate before my run tonight. I was HUNGRY. The downside was pizza in my stomach was hanging out in there for my run haha. Not the best idea.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Right now I don't eat after a run. For some reason, as I've added distance, I'm just not all that hungry on run days (today I ran 12 miles and didn't even feel hungry enough to eat lunch). The day after a run though....watch out, because I will clean out the fridge.

Back when I regularly ate after a run, I had a favorite go to snack: Quick and easy pumpkin pie.
    Its actually really simple, tasty, and delicious. Take 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (make sure its pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix). Add 1/4 cup egg substitute (or one whole egg). Add pumpkin pie spice and sweetener to taste. MIcrowave in a dish for about 3 minutes.

The calorie count for this comes out to be 70 calories. However, I always added some cereal to the top for some crunch as well as a bit of redi-whip, bringing the total calories to a little about 100.

This is a good post run snack because it contains a good combination of proteins and healthy carbs. The fiber in the pumpkin really helps fill you up.

I liked to make it before a run, and then stick it in the fridge so it was nice and cold when I got back.
  • mojosister
    mojosister Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on completing W5D3! That's such a huge hurdle! I just finished W7D1 and I tend to hold off meals until I'm finished my run. Or alternatively, I'll have a protein bar and LOTS of water.

Keep up the great work!
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    almond butter
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Running usually suppresses my appetite. I do eat either greek yogurt (Fage 0%) with fruit or drink low carb protein shake. Body needs good carbs plus protein to rebuild itself after working out.
  • denisel321
    Options
    I drink Accelerade within 30 minutes of finishing a run. It's got a balanced ratio of nutrients and carbs to give the body and muscles what they need to recover. I'm not starving like I used to be after running since I started using it about 3 months ago.
  • osooziq
    osooziq Posts: 3
    Options
    An apple or orange are good choices for post run. A small protein smoothie would also be a good choice and be filling as well.
  • amandae0182
    Options
    Tons of water, and usually a few boiled egg whites, if it isnt meal time. Also carrots have been a favorite lately too.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    after my last half marathon, and with all the training that was involved, once i crossed the finish line i spent the next 6 weeks eating one of everything. it was fun while it lasted. now to work on fitting back in them running shorts...
  • Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Glass of skim milk or greek yogurt :)
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Fruit and a cup of coconut water.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I know that on a lot of the runner forums they recommend a glass of low fat chocolate milk - it's supposed to have the correct protein/carb ration that your body is looking for. I usually have a protein shake afterwards (if chocolate milk is in the house....there is nooooo way it would only be consumed after runs...I would drink the whole thing in one day....lol) or some good carbs and a bit of protein. I was always taught that your post run/work out should be just a bit higher in carbs to replace your glycogen stores. Good carbs that is....... :)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Allthefood.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Chobani greek yogurt...the pineapple is my fav. But like alot of others have mentioned, as I've increased my distance, it has suppressed my appetite. It's usually the day after that I want to scarf!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Protein shake: whey powder, PB2, unsweetened cocoa, and either unsweetened vanilla almond milk OR water and a shot of heavy cream.

When I start to drag toward the end of my run, I remember I'm running TOWARD my reward shake!
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Chocolate or Strawberry Milk..sometimes a protein drink
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    MILK!

Well first I drink like a gallon of water then sit around a bit to let it settle (I usually am not hungry after my run but still have the wolf down everything in sight reflex), theeenn I drink/savor milk. Like someone already said, chocolate milk is supposed to have a good carb to protein ratio, but who are we kidding, Id drink the milk anyways. Full Disclosure: I got fat from drinking crazy amounts of milk each day, if i didnt know better I'd still be drinking milk like its water.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I eat in the morning shortly after breakfast...I feel sick if I workout on an empty stomach. I have whole wheat toast with a just a thin spread of natural peanut butter, a cup of almond milk and some fruit. Sometimes I don't eat the fruit and/or the almond milk until I get home and then I'm pretty good until lunch time or I'll just have a little snack of normally fruit. I'm only up to 7 miles on a long run day though.